xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
the_aggie10

What Is The Difference...? Between bandwidth and webspace?

ok what is the big difference betweed space and bandwidth?? it is pretty confusing to me...thanks for answering :)

Space: Is the amount of file storage that you have. For example, say you have a document that is 10MB, and you upload it to your site, you have used 10MB of your hosting space.

Bandwidth: Is hard to explain, but i wil ltry my best. Bandwidth is the amount of content that can be sent from the server to a computer.

Hope this helped

yea you did...thanks a lot.....so would putting a forum on my site count as bandwidth or space?

it would count as both, because it takes up space.. but everytime someone visits your forum's they will use up a small amount of bandwidth....

In order to reduce your bandwidth, phpbb, and some other forums, allow you to minimize your bandwidth through enabling gzip compession, which is a mode of compressing the data for sending along the Internet. It will reduce your bandwidth Usage, but not your storage space. You can select to enable or disable gzip at any time as you see fit. The receiving computer will adjust for the gzip compression automatically. No problem.

Anything people view or download on your site takes up bandwidth. So if I go to your main page, for every image that is loaded it uses a little bit of bandwidth and every time I go to a new page or download a file I use a little bit more of your bandwidth. This is why you should follow jlhaslips instruction to reduce the amount of bandwidth used each visit.

bandwidth

The amount of information or data that can be sent over a network connection in a given period of time. Bandwidth is usually stated in bits per second (bps), kilobits per second (kbps), or megabits per second (mps).

I believe, also, browsers that have good caching abilities can help save bandwidth. Also, a person that tells their browser not to download image files when rendering a page can help save bandwidth.