xisto Community
kawasu

New Computer, Help With Parts?

so you may have heard that my pc died a while back, i was trying to see if anybody in this forum knew how to fix it lol. anyway, i've now decided to replace some parts in it, a simple upgrade. i'll start off by telling you what i'll be wanting from this pc so you get an idea of what parts i need; basically, i'll be using it for multimedia purposes (ie webdesign, flash, 3d studio mx, maya and sound apps) but i'll also want to play games at a decent level of quialty without it lagging to the core. my budget is about $700aud so lets just say $1100usd.can anybody enlighten me on wat the amd am2 processors are? and it it worth goin with the duo core pentiums now or is it still okay to stick with the normal amd/p4 processors? i'm too poor but if they're really worth moving up to i may consider them. don't want my pc to go out of date too quickly. oh and my current hdds are ide, can they still be used on current sata cable things (small orange cables -__-)? haha i sounds so noob. dvd-roms and other peripherals can be dealt with later, i just want specs on the core of the pc. so what does eveybody think? you help is very much appreciated ;3

so you may have heard that my pc died a while back, i was trying to see if anybody in this forum knew how to fix it lol. anyway, i've now decided to replace some parts in it, a simple upgrade. i'll start off by telling you what i'll be wanting from this pc so you get an idea of what parts i need; basically, i'll be using it for multimedia purposes (ie webdesign, flash, 3d studio mx, maya and sound apps) but i'll also want to play games at a decent level of quialty without it lagging to the core. my budget is about $700aud so lets just say $1100usd.
can anybody enlighten me on wat the amd am2 processors are? and it it worth goin with the duo core pentiums now or is it still okay to stick with the normal amd/p4 processors? i'm too poor but if they're really worth moving up to i may consider them. don't want my pc to go out of date too quickly. oh and my current hdds are ide, can they still be used on current sata cable things (small orange cables -__-)? haha i sounds so noob.

dvd-roms and other peripherals can be dealt with later, i just want specs on the core of the pc. so what does eveybody think? you help is very much appreciated ;3

ok, youre wanting to build a new computer? i can help you with that, and explain to you what those dual cores are an what not.

youre from aus. right? if so, can you shop from newegg.com?? ill just give you the list that i made for the comptuer i am going to build. for less than $600 USD

If your going to be using your computer for multimedia, you should get a 64-bit processor.

64bit processors more things at once yeh? is it better then the pent4 core duos? i heard they were faster.

I think he meant 'Dual Core' processor, since all (recent) CPU's are 64 bit these days.The (recent) Intel Core 2 processor give good results in the tests these days.The older Pentium D 9xx processor is also not that bad.In the AMD brand there also some good CPU's.All the new CPU's of AMD are now using the AM2 socket witch is newer then the 939 (athlon) and 745 (semptron).In my country the AM2 CPU's are cheaper then the older sockets, and the older sockets are hard to get.So if you buy an AMD you choose best and AM2 socket.If you buy new hard disks certainly choose SATA (smaller cables and more easy to connect).The old IDE drives can still be connected on the current mainboards.In a upgrade you have also to watch out for your power supply.It should be at least 300W and have a 4 pins power connector.The ATX connector has also been changed from 20 pin to 24 pin.There exist mainboards that supports both or there exist a conversion adapter.All the depends on the hardware that you don't replace in your case.

I think he meant 'Dual Core' processor, since all (recent) CPU's are 64 bit these days.
The (recent) Intel Core 2 processor give good results in the tests these days.
The older Pentium D 9xx processor is also not that bad.
In the AMD brand there also some good CPU's.
All the new CPU's of AMD are now using the AM2 socket witch is newer then the 939 (athlon) and 745 (semptron).
In my country the AM2 CPU's are cheaper then the older sockets, and the older sockets are hard to get.
So if you buy an AMD you choose best and AM2 socket.

If you buy new hard disks certainly choose SATA (smaller cables and more easy to connect).
The old IDE drives can still be connected on the current mainboards.

In a upgrade you have also to watch out for your power supply.
It should be at least 300W and have a 4 pins power connector.
The ATX connector has also been changed from 20 pin to 24 pin.
There exist mainboards that supports both or there exist a conversion adapter.
All the depends on the hardware that you don't replace in your case.

oh so the am2 is the best of the amds? besides teh fx range i mean. cause when i saw that they were cheaper i thought they werent as powerful or something. you provided really useful information ^^ i think i'll be needing to buy a new PSU aswell. the one i have now is a 400w but it's about 2 years old now. i dont think it uses the 24pin atx connector. i think i'll just get a new case and psu combo cause they're usually cheaper.

can you recommend any graphic cards? just something which will suffice, i dont need some top of teh range thing. aslong as i can do my work with good speeds and play the latest games with decent graphics i'll be contempt. ;] thanks again

AM2 is the socket , the pin layout of the CPU.Even the FX is available in the AM2 socket So in the AM2 socket you have :Cheap CPU 'AMD 2800+ 64bit Sempron Boxed AM2'Medium 'AMD 3500+ 64bit Athlon Boxed AM2'Dual Core 'AMD 4200+ X2 64bit Dual-core Processor Boxed AM2'and some extreme AMD Athlon 64 FX62 2.8GHZ PIB AM2 2MB CACHE For a graphics card I can't give you advice since I'm only playing 1 game 'Red Alert 2' witch is already a some years old.Certainly don't use a graphics card witch is on your mainboard.For real high-end graphics you can use SLI (but the price is high since you need 2 (identical) graphics cards).If you are playing old games , must of the current video-cards will be good.But for the recent (certainly shoot and kill games) you need a good video card.Also here you have to watch out because the high end video-cards need a decent Power Supply and a good airflow in your case.So building a basic computer is easy, but for a high-end you have to watch out for good-cooling.Since you are living nearly on the other side of the planet , it's hard to tell what's best for you.

oic haha, you sure know a lot about pcs. so you definately think AMD over intel? i should be looking to buy within the next week or two, probably getting the dual core cause its not too expensive. should suffice for what i need. i'm not too much of a gamer, but i like to be able to play a game or two every now and then. i love red alert 2, havnt played it in ages but its such an awesome game hahaha.thanks for the help, you've been great! xD finally things are clearer, i actually know the differences between all this hardware ;o i'm such a noobie when it comes to this sorta stuff ;3

That good information because I me need to buy a computer but need some basic on the suitable parts that to buy the best presios and clear also the best marks that exist on the market Good as see in this topic the majority of users prefers the mark of the corporation Intel and be given birth that they have reason because of it if I buy myself a computer costing me of his commentaries sera a mark intel like that I insure myself and do not have to be buying parts when I am died before time thank you very much :) THE BEST COMPANY IS INTEL CORP DON/T FORGET :)

Allright so im looking at buying a computer (well building) to do the same exact things as you want

first go intel they are currently at the top and they are afordable if you want to and can wait till after xmas and prices should drop due to the cuadros and scoop up a duo.

for a graphics card id sujest looking at the 7900 GTO from nvidia its an awsome card and if you need more from it its overclockable

anyways heres waht i want to buy its about 1003 us $ so yeah lol

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ( you can overclock it to 3 ghz or more if you really need to) ~ 183 US

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=64

MOBO: ABIT AB9 Pro Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard ~ 149 US

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=61

GPX: eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR Geforce 7900GTO ~ 253 US

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=51

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ~ 132 US

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=68

PSU: Antec TruePower 2.0 TRUECONTROL II-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply ~ 100 US

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=73

HD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ~ 75 US

http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=74

CASE http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=61

its all up to you on a case its what ever your like... its a nice build case, id look for a case w/o a psu tho

TOTAL COST ~ 892 + what ever the case is

A few notes about the stuff above its a overclocking machine if you really want to get it up to 1.1k upgrade to a better cpu and ram (id go with more ram if i were you tho so yeah...)

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=7

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Common/MessagePage.aspx?MsgCode=-1&ID=53

anyways this should do pretty much eveything out there atm and then some, id wait till the new 8series cards come out and get one of the new gpx cards with dx 10 ready (the 8 series) they will be newer and cost a bit more so id just stick with waht ive listed above and get a dx 10 card instead of the 7900 GTO

feel free to pm me if you have any questions otherwise tell me what you think lol

also PLEASE DONT SKIMP ON THE PSU you need 550 = watts now adays for the new gpxs cards... so SLI the 8series its something crazy like 700 watts i think... so just go with the one i put above and you will be happy i can almost guarentee it

Edited by tdktank59 (see edit history)

Make sure you get a core 2 duo, those processors rock! Remember not to go cheap on the power supply, it is the backbone of the computer. Get corsair memory or higher rated memory like that. If you don't have a place to buy parts from yet I would recommend newegg.com.