xisto Community
franz see

Best Messaging Client

What do you think is the best messaging client? Right now, I must say Trillian, because it allows multiple acount log ins at the same time. But it's only for windows, and I'm not sure if there's a linux version...and I am about to switch to linux.So once I switch to linux, i'd probably go for Gaim. Although it does not allow multiple accounts, it does allow IRC chatting. and furthermore, it is open source ! there's a lot of room for improvement...but im not sure how much active its community is.And although both Gaim and Trillian can be invited for a conference, they can't create one unlike Y!Messenger. And although Y!Messenger 8 can be modified to allow it to run multiple instances so that can you have multiple accounts loged in at the same time, it tends to slow things down a bit. and after awhile, i can no longer invite people to conferences with it, so i had to reinstall and leave out the registry as it is.What about you guys, what do you think is the best messaging client?

depends..I don't really like skype (don't know why, just don't feel confortable using it:) )...so I go for Y!, because most (all?) of my friends have only a Y! id..but gaim is ok on linux..I used for a while and it is quite good:) (-for linux-) :)

hi, ive been using gaim for roughly 2 years now, it does allow multiple accounts.PS really hope you enjoy linux, its a great OS!

I am not very particular about these messaging clients. The only service I am using is MSN, I don't chat on other services such as IRC, Yahoo! and AIM. I guess the reason that everyone I know uses MSN so therefore I am not much into the new services. Windows Live Messenger does everything for me :)

MSN got to be the best now since most of the ppl is using it and its the one that pushes the IM technology that far out! With the new live messenger, MSN contacts can now chat with yahoo contacts! And with using MSN you can contact to most of the ppl with messenging client! And the MSN Messenger keeps getting better in their features and everything works great around... However, they got to fixed their bug and their sign in problems with their Live Messenger since its the only main problem that's rejecting user...

well for me its trillian i can login to my multiple yahoo id s as well as other ims..More of all its free unless you upgrade it to trillian pro.I would suggest everyone to try this product..

MSN FTW! I personally only use MSN, I have no use for others. It IS the most customizable, with the help of MP!L (Messenger Plus! Live) and a messpatch. It's so easy to mess with it. Plus everyone I know uses MSN.And I'm sure you can find a port of Trillian for Linux. Linux just owns so hardcore. I've used a Live Ubuntu disc, and it ran faster than the main OS did. (Windows ME)Good luck on that, though. Hope you enjoy Linux. :)

i say trillain for pcgaim for linuxthey both offer multiple accounts/clients in one program and requires less cpu and stuff for the one client compared to each of the other ones...

My vote is probably going to be for MSN, as it is extremely popular, sure alot of people use Yahoo, ICQ and many others that i can't be bothered listing, It has continued to stay popular even when Windows Live Messenger was invite only many, many people still used it either legitametly or they had found other means of logging in on with their email addresses, i haven't heard of anyone bothering to do that for any other messaging clients. MSN has continued to use newer and greater options, also there have been addon packs for MSN such as the widely popular Messenger Plus. With Messenger Plus you can add new features such as sounds and download new sounds from other users who uploaded them to the server. The only think i dont like is the tabs, they really make it look stupid, but i heard from a friend that you can get rid of them with some program.

Msn is the most convenient simply because everybody seems to have it. I have switched to aMsn now though as it doesn't use up as much of the processor when its running. Before I was struggling to run Photoshop, Firefox & Msn at the same time. There isnt really a great deal of difference between normal msn & amsn, apart from the smileys are a bit naff. So far it seems pretty good though.

I prefer Trillian, Miranda IM(or something) is bad, I hate it, it's almost useless....I'm using windows so I have no chances to try GAIM messanger......