xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

Wanting To Touch Up/learn My Html Again

Ok, well recently i realized that i am not as skilled in HTML (such as building website layouts) as i want to be, with tables etc... and so i was thinking about going through many many many many many many sites and just touching up on my HTML and see if i can code my own website template before starting to learn PHP because that is what i want to do.so, i am asking all of you experianced people on Xisto what websites did you use to learn your HTML skills, yees i know i could go to google and type in learn html or somthing along the lines of that, but i want to know what websites that you guys and gals here on Xisto think are good so i can get the same experiance that everyone else did.so please post where you learned your HTML, and if you know how to code templates where you learned how to do it.

wow if you really want to know, I learned my basics on neopets.com (****, I used to play it). But the guide they have is really basic, I just built on that and found out new tags through experimenting. And by basic I mean img tags, backgorund color, and simple tables. Probably no help to you but hey thought i'd put it.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
You will not place any expletive slangs again in our forum.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Agreed on the w3schools link.Lose the Table-based design concept. Start to learn XHTML and css2. Although it sounds like a daunting task, it really isn't any more difficult to learn. It will be harder to un-learn tables.A good book for css and xhtml is :Intergrated HTML and CSS by Virginia DeBolt, pulbished by SYBEXC/w disk and teaches web standard designing and coding.Great resource to have with you.

When I first started out learning HTML and what not I found a great website. http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/ It steps you through all the basics for your first site or just teaches you certain things. It helped me out a lot. I also have used W3 Schools but not for HTML but it also has great tutorials. I recommend looking through those sites to see what you find.

I started learning them from books I borrowed from the library, and then I came on the web and search for tutorial, and I found w3schools.com which they mentioned, its really a great site for beginners! And then I enrolled into my current course and studied html too which put my html skill to the test and they now teaches the standard XHTML tags which are very hard to conform to... But nevertheless, I've gotten myself distinction from that particular html modules, which I easily pass! :) But, that was thanks to w3schools tutorial which really simplified things... Whenever I have a doubt about html stuff, that's the first site I'll turn to, and not even my lecturer I will turn to...

I tought my self. But the easiest way i think to learn html is to just go to any website that you like and save the web page and then just experement on that then you can create your own. Hope that helps. :)

I actually learnt HTML out of my own accord, so I can't really give you any advice of my own. However I can tell you that many of my friends recommend funky-chickens.com. It's a HTML-help website that covers all the basics of HTML, plus some basic JavaScript, and has a few resources too. It's a little outdated, but all the tricks still work.However, I should note that the website uses a pink and blue theme (pink for borders and underlines, blue for text, white background), so it may be a bit bright for some.

I actually started experimenting with HTML (and a little Javascript) in 2000 when I first got my webTV set up... just changing prewritten scripts slightly... in 2001 when I first got my computer, I went out and bought HTML for Dummies: Quick Guide. I read that book front to back and well, that's how I got started. But I haven't really written anything from scratch in a while, with all the "what you see is what you get" editors, I've gotten rusty, not to mention some things have changed since then, such as CSS, which has caused much of the HTML I learned to become depricated. In other words, I'm in a similar boat as you, I need to brush up and update myself a bit.

As for websites I'd recommend Spoono ( http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ) which has some neat CSS layout tutorials (Go to programming, a submenu appears, click on CSS) as well as graphic tutorials, and for something a bit simpler, try HTML Help ( http://www.htmlhelp.com/ ) is another good place to look up for references and such.

Anywho, good luck, and I hope this helps! I had a bunch of other REALLY GOOD websites book marked on my computer. Unfortunatly, I'm not on either of my computers right now so I can't seem to remember them. If I come across them again, I'll be sure to share.

Edited by Chrisseh (see edit history)

well, i really think that that the yourhtmlsource.com is the best link that anyone has provided in this post so far :) i see the most informationa nd from what ive read so far its the easiest to understand even though i know most of what their saying. lolthank you all for your input on HTML sites, and although i am well of in HTML i am still going to go through them all except w2 schools because they dont explain stuff very well. and read all of the info :P thanx again

well, i really think that that the yourhtmlsource.com is the best link that anyone has provided in this post so far :P i see the most informationa nd from what ive read so far its the easiest to understand even though i know most of what their saying. lol
thank you all for your input on HTML sites, and although i am well of in HTML i am still going to go through them all except w2 schools because they dont explain stuff very well. and read all of the info :P thanx again

Um its w3schools? and they even have examples and not just html but more languages :)

http://www.w3schools.org//?gtnjs=1 is awesome. So is http://www.lissaexplains.com/. Those help for the short term, but I learned the most about webdesign from reading source code and understanding why this tag makes this happen, etc. Everything I do on the computer nowadays is part of a learning experience for me. From about 4th or 5th grade to 11th now...that's 6 years? I read a book and used it for maybe 2 max. I guess it also helps that my parents have been using computers since their inception (my dad fondly remembers mainframes).

So yeah, whenever you go to a website you like, no one can stop you from looking at their source code - however, don't TAKE IT unless you have explicit permission, and you probably shouldn't do that either - you can learn a lot more from experience, which anyone can say. If you're going to buy a book, which I would say no to, make sure it it's PUBLISHED RECENTLY so you can make use of XHTML, CSS and other recently revised dealies. I made the mistake of trying to use a 2000 book a few years ago, and everything I made felt outdated.

@danny, lol it wqas a typo.... i dont need examples, i just want to learn about it :)ive looked at peoples source codes constantly and learned quite a few things from that as well. lissaexplains.com is a bit of a slow site for me i duno why but it is, i will check it oput though thanx :)

ok, call me a noob if you want i dont really care.Ok, so right now i am going over somthing i never taught myself and i have a question, and yes it is a noob question.this is real basic too.Say i have a table(yes i do know they will automaticly expand to all of the content that i have in it.)

<table>      <tr>           <td>           </td>      </tr></table>

and if i were to want to make the column that content is in bigger.... i would make it like this instead...

<table>      <tr>           <td width="100">           </td>      </tr></table>

and if i wanted to make a whole row bigger i would do this, or is this a no? i think this one here is a no.... because if i want to make the row bigger i just make the table bigger.

<table>      <tr width="100">           <td>           </td>      </tr></table>

OR if i wanted to make the whole table bigger how would i do it?

<table width="750" height="1000">      <tr>           <td>           </td>      </tr></table>

??

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)