xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
feipoh

My First Day In College

Good thing about being a waitress is that I only work at night, which gives me a lot of free time during the day. While I am still not sure what to do with my career, I enrolled myself to a part time Children?s Care, Learning and Development course this afternoon. All the students must complete a Criminal Records Bureau form prior to the start of the course. Which, I think is really a good idea to ensure the safety of the children. All the students must complete the equivalent of 2 days a week in a suitable placement, on a paid or voluntary basis. Which I think is a good idea as well, it gives students an instant hand on experience. I find myself a nice day nursery as my placement and will work for them voluntary 2 days a week.We have our first lessons today. All are female students. Each student is required to give a brief introduction about her. As usual I find myself the odd one out.Almost every student said they enjoyed going out drinking at the weekend, meeting other peoples, here I am cycling, rambling and Rock Climbing. Not exactly a motherly figure?? All the students except me all have children of their own and a few of them are actually working with children. Me?? While we were filling out the questionnaires; have you work with children before etc. All I can put is Never, Never, Never!!I can see everyone look at me speechlessly. Never mind, that?s why I am there I guest, to do all the things that I never do. My placement will start next week, I am really looking forward to work with all these little kiddos, I know I can play very well with them, let hope I can manage to take care of them for 42 weeks, finger cross! Muawaaah..!!

... All are female students. ...
... here I am cycling, rambling and Rock Climbing. Not exactly a motherly figure?? ...

Too bad the (stereotypical) class doesn't have a male in it. It would be good to have a differing background to discuss and relate his stories. It would definately be good for the children to have another male in their lives. Too many children in today's society are mono-cultured by single parents, particularly single mothers, and even most Primary school teachers are female. It is time that males were equally represented. Enough of that Macho carp.

Not all Mothers stay home and cook and clean on their days off. I think your different lifestyle will enhance the children's education and maybe you could use the lifestyle you lead to inspire them (especially the little girls).

I do actually agree with you on the 'Macho carp' that you so described, I think that modern society if anything is becoming 'too' equal on women. Men are now nurses, and other previously feminine jobs, and it's time we could express our sensitive side. lol. But yeah, if you have a diverse group, it could really be of benefit to the kids. I hope it all goes well!

Wow! I would like to be a single male in your class! That your college is a great one!!! I have no complains...In my country we do not have colleges. We have for example, a faculty of electrotechnical science or a faculty of economy science... That is like college. I remember my first day on college.... I was the only student from my town in my class. Everybody was talking, meeting each others.... And then our professor of English class came and said "English?!" (that can be translated on my language like English class or English man), and one of us told him "Serbs". It was funny... Then we was introduced in theme we will talking about in that semester... It was a little strange to me, because I did not know anybody but now is OK. Here is one more funny thing that happend on this first day. We were sitting in back rows of the classroom, and Nemanja, my new friend said "Look, we have a only one girl in class", and point on one long hair in front rows. A litle bit later that long hair stand up and turn, as we can see the face of this person... It was male with long hair... It was so funny then, everybody was laughing!

You might not of looked after children before, but that doesn't mean you're bad...You said "They all go out drinking on weekends"...They don't sound like that good of mothers, do they?Don't let them get to you :) Like I said, they all started somewhere too...Atleast while you start like this you have help doing it.Good luck :P

Hi This is the most unforgottebble moment in my life which i am going to describe to you now. The college opened for me in the 22 October 2005.We had a common session on that day and the whole of my batch were together in one auditorium and we started off well. To my surprise on the first day in that auditorium they distributed question papers and i was stunned.They said this is a test kept to check your english standards and i was amazed to write a test on the first day in the college,i had taken the test well and the results were not published till now, Thank God.And the after the test is over we had a orientation programme and in that all the heads of various depts. were intorduced and all the rules and regulation of the college were explained to us.Then we had a general interaction and the morning session came to an end and then an announcement came telling that the classes in the noon is suspended.Hurray! all were in happy mood. This was the first day and it was the unofficial working day because we did not go to the classesThen the dawn broke out for the next day . The common session was over in 30 mins and the class teacher were selected and informed to us .For me it was a mam and she took us to the class. She was teaching us Chemistry.As i entered in to the class i was wondering whether to sit with whom and i found a guy who was searching for the same and in we sat together .We both shared many thoughts and then we were thinking why not we had joined some other college.Then Hours passed by . and then the evening came and i went to my room . we were 4 in a room and i didnt know what all to speak to which room mate and we all had a talk that night. and we went to bed on time.This is the first day in my college and it is most unforgettable in my life.

Don't worry you'll do just fine :rolleyes: And if anyone looks you strange or something just forget about them-it's not their job to criticise or judge you. If they are nice people they will accept you fastly ;) And among the cycling,climbing and so on-I can say that those are pretty good and interesting sports( I love bike riding myself) and you can find time for a drink with your colleages :D