xisto Community
ishwar

Differences Of Squares

Hi guys , I just found out that the differences of squares form an arithmetic series with d = 2 , but I can't figure out why :

3 5 7 9 11 - notice the difference

1 4 9 16 25 36 - the squares

1^1, 2^2, 3^3 , 4^4 , 5^5, 6^6

Edited by ishwar (see edit history)

It's actually quite simple :P

given d = y^2 - x^2, where y = x + 1,

d = (x+1)^2 - x^2

d = [ (x+1) * (x+1) ] - x^2

d = [ x^2 + 2x + 1 ] - x^2

d = 2x + 1

And if x = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...}, we would have d = {3, 5, 7, 9, 11, ...} :)

Furthermore, you can do the reverse....

d = 2x + 1

d - 1 = 2x

(d - 1) / 2 = x

d/2 - 0.5 = x

THUS, combining with y = x + 1, we will have

d/2 - 0.5 = y - 1

d/2 + 0.5 = y

This is the basis of the trick i used to do back in elementary (yes, i was a bored little man back then :P hehehe :P).

given any number, d, i can find its x and y such that y^2 - x^2 = d B) (it's just a matter of dividing d by 2 then adding and subtracting 0.5 to get y and x respectively) :P

it was a neat trick back then, but after being taught algebra, it got demystified :P

Hi guys , thanks for all your help, I figured it by a simple diagram ,

I started pondering on the squares , and then I realized it was called square because of a square(shape)

its hard to explain this wihtout a diagram,

you can see this for yourself by drawing blocks of squares. You can then see the difference of squares increasing.

Ishwar

That is amazing. I've always wondered about squares. Ever since grade school I wondered why adding and subtracting squares would never work right, only until 3 years later when I explained to my algebra class. Think about addition and subtraction. The only reason they really work is because the difference between each number is the same as all the other differences.2 - 1 = 13 - 2 = 14 - 3 = 1But with squares,4 - 1 = 39 - 4 = 516 - 9 = 7

Squares are quadratic [state the obvious, I know] and these patterns will always have a second common difference.[Linear sequences have a first common difference that is. Cubic sequences have a third common difference etc.]A common difference by the way, is......-1,0,1,2,3,4,5,6...in this case, it's one. Because the numbers are all one more than the previous....-1,0,2,5,9,14...in this case, the differences go......1,2,3,4,5...So that's a second common difference of one.Maths is a wonderful subject! Sorry that my explaination was shody though!

(X+1)^2 - X^2 = 2x + 1That's why.It's also the same thing if you do it a bit backwards. (You don't have to start with 7)7*7 = 496*8 = 485*9 = 454*10 = 40...the differences are 1, 3, 5, ...This one is like:(x+n)(x-n) where n is the difference between the number and the starting number is:X^2 - n^2and that brings us back to the first example ;)