xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vietonline

Delete A Bunch Of Files Using Dos Statement DOS Delete Command

when we are running a program.they usually create many files that we don't need.Anyone knows the dos commands that we can delete those file at once?if you know could you please tell me that.thanks

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit title for spelling error.

Boy, this topic takes me back in time to way back in the early 80's...

DOS, or Disk Operating System, versions were all around. MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, PC-DOS, etc.

DOS was a small 'kernel' of code which was used to manage the file system on early 'Personal Computers' (PC's).

One of the commands was exactly the one you are asking about.

'Delete' was used to erase the reference to a file, and not the contents.

Esentially, the delete command erased the 'location' of a file from the file's directory listing, so once the file was 'deleted', the system could not find the file. The 'contents' of the file actually remained on the disk, but the system had no starting reference point to find it.

Another thing to remember is that the file was never stored continuously on the disk medium. The file was split up into 'chunks' of typically 512 bytes and the chunks were stored onto non-contiguous 'sectors' on a disk. The location of the next sector was stored with the sector which preceded it, so if you could not find the starting point of the chain of sectors, you could not find the 'links' in the chain which were the file contents. Therefore, at least theoretically, by erasing the starting point for the file, the file was not on the system and the disk space was available for other files to be written over it, thereby eliminating the file.

Confused yet? Anyways, I don't recall all of the details and particulars of the early DOS systems, but I do remember that Norton Utilities was "sometimes" able to 'recover' files by reading an entire disk and mapping the sectors and such so that "sometimes" files which were 'deleted' could actually be 'recovered' or re-built. It was critical to the recovery process that you hadn't actually over-written the sectors containing any parts of the original file.

Since those days, I think the FAT (File Allocation Tables) are much more efficient and accurate than the earlier DOS systems, but I digress...

Anyways, I found a link which does a fairly good job of explaining the Delete command and particularly explaining the implementation of the various methods of using *wildcards* and the selection criteria of the list of files you are able to target for deletion. These are explained near the bottom of the page.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

whatever you're going to do ... don't do anything as stupid as me in my first Linux environment... "rm -f /etc _cfg_*" (well, anyone who understands will have a good laugh now :))

whatever you're going to do ... don't do anything as stupid as me in my first Linux environment... "rm -f /etc _cfg_*" (well, anyone who understands will have a good laugh now :))

it is not this command,anyone has another one.thanks

virus ,.exe detected and can be removed

Delete A Bunch Of Files Using Dos Statement

Name: ,.Exe

Service : ,.Exe

Locaton: c:,.Exe

c:windowsDebug,.Exe

and all drive [hidden]

Effects: open all the local drives window whe sysytem is started

So cann delete by ragistry and manula settings or an y software suppots

Delete the key

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosotWindowCurrentVersionRUN,.Exe