xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
juice

F19 Stealth Fighter The Best Flight Sim Of All Time PMPL

I don't think many people know about this great game. Well it was released in 1988 (yes you read correctly) by Micrprose inc. I'm sure this game was state-of-the-art when it came out as most games are. The graphics aren't too bad, better then I expected but the audio is a problem and can be very irratating. Imagine your PC speaker, if you have one, bleeping out the same high pitch sqeel for a few minutes - not very pleasent. Missions are good with four difficulty levels - green oponents which will never attack you, regular oponents which will make the occassional attack, veteran opponents which are skilled and fire at you evey so often and then my favourite the elite opponents which will gun you down as soon as your plane leaves the ground. Who knows about or has played this ancient relic?

I guess I was right, no one has heard of this game :) Well it is old but never the less it is a great game. How about police quest 1? That is also a great game.

I've never heared of bothe the games that you've mentioned.Please share more about them, I love to learn about games.If you can provide some links and screenshots of these games so that we can konw about them more.

Guess what, I still have it in all it's 5.25" floppy (when disks were really floppy) glory! I also have it's sucessor, F-117A Stealth fighter developed after they really knew what it looked like. It was a shame to see the demise of Microprose and the end of PC military flight sims. I know the atari folks released Falcon 4.0 Allied something arouther last year, but this was Falcon 4 with the game engine fixed and graphics updated. Probably the last such true military flight sim that will be released unless the genre comes back in vogue.

At last someone who has heard of these games! :) My computer teacher gave it to me (F-19) so I don't have the original floppies. Sorry I can't produce screen shots because I am really bad at those sort of things. GREAT GAME!

I don't think many people know about this great game. Well it was released in 1988 (yes you read correctly) by Micrprose inc. I'm sure this game was state-of-the-art when it came out as most games are. The graphics aren't too bad, better then I expected but the audio is a problem and can be very irratating. Imagine your PC speaker, if you have one, bleeping out the same high pitch sqeel for a few minutes - not very pleasent. Missions are good with four difficulty levels - green oponents which will never attack you, regular oponents which will make the occassional attack, veteran opponents which are skilled and fire at you evey so often and then my favourite the elite opponents which will gun you down as soon as your plane leaves the ground. Who knows about or has played this ancient relic?

It is first air simulator that i has play, and even first PC game that i so. Even first my PC experience, that has begun my long way to became a 'computer god' as my friends and employers call me now. Really one of better simulation on his time. Also it has second release (About 1995 or 1993)- F-117 stealth fighter 2 with slightly improved graphic and additional maps, and clone F-15 Strike Eagle - same graphics and maps but you flow another fighter - F-15. Also, this simulator is one of first, so modern simulators have emproved graphic and effects, but better of its uses some ideas about game play and opponents activity like in F-19.
Just try "Lock On - Modern Air Combats" - your will find many common ideas in missions and opponent AI with F-19. One difference - phisic model is very close to reality so your mast have more skills to beat your opponents, even novices. Also weapon models is realistic to - it not engout to just release a chaff or flares to fulish missiles, especilally russian R-73 and R-77. Just try to beat MiG-29 and compare with F-19. Here your will find it a hardest of opponents.
By my own experince - i has beat team 2xF-15 + 4xF-18 (all ase level) that has attack me from tail in 2 minutes, but has unable to shut down a single MiG-29A that comes ahead. I has flow MiG-29A too. Close combat has go about 15 minutes mainly in vertical attacks. I has launch all my missiles - 2xR-73 and 4xR-27, but computer pilot has avoid all of them, i has avoid only 5 of his missiles

Replying to juiceI used to play this game alot and got quite good at it. I used to play the elite level and select the classifed missions; they were usually dropping off suppiles to rebel fighters or photo recon. I wish I could find a copy of this game. I would load it on my PC and play it again. -reply by Rambo

I still remember this great game

F19 Stealth Fighter

Replying to juiceReplying to juiceElite opponents are not so drastic as you say. I had regular landings after Soviet Union and European missions against elite opponents and usually finished all 99 missions as br. Gen. With all medals available beginning from DFC till Congress Medal. My hint was maximum low throttle + autopilot + change of waypoints manually. Altitude usually was not more than 165. Unfortunately I do not have DOS anymore :(

-reply by Girts from Latvia

I really want to know where I could buy these games!! I loved those games. Thats because it was too complex for me to understand how to play those games! I mean they are too real (except for the graphics). But they did the best. I mean come on! It came out in 1988...Way before I was born. Just to let you know, I was born in 1990!!-reply by Iceman

Replying to Juice - F-19 Stealth FighterF19 Stealth FighterI was addicted to F-19 Stealth Fighter when it came out. I memorized the hot-key overlay and sayed up all night playing it. For the day, the graphics and feel were great, but yes the sound was...Well...Boring, but I thought it worked for the game at the time. I see e-bay still has a few copies of the game floating around on 5-1/4" floppies. Is it available on-line to download like the original RailRoad Tycoon is??-reply by WeedMan

Reply to JuiceF19 Stealth Fighter

I loved this game as a kid. I've been playing it almost everyday, however I had to relearn all the buttons, part of the fun, and I don't remember the overall strategy as to not be detected by enemy radar. I recently found this one and others, such as Poice Quest 1, on a site theoldcomputer.Com they have a bunch of the classic games. Happy gaming and F19 is def one of the those great classic games.

-reply by DrFeelGood

I used to play this game a lot.  It was developed after the world started getting hints about a stealth fighter (F17)  but the USA govt was still holding the secret.  They got it remarkably close for the limited info available.

The secret for success that I found was to fly slow and low, and fly around the hottest enemy radars.  I liked the long range missions where fuel became critical.

Mostly I liked the "realistic" mode with only the two smart bombs, but just for fun it was good to fly the arcade version with more bombs and guns too.

I'll have to find it again and see if it will work on a dos-box on Vista (HATE Vista).  Any pointers to doing that?

Wow... I've stumbled upon people who remember F-19 and F-117A!  Those were my favorite games as a kid (I had the fighter pilot bug).  I still have those thick manuals laying around.  I used to play F-19 on my 386 with the internal speaker and all.  When we upgraded to a 486, I remember begging my parents to buy me F-117A when I looked at the box art and saw that there were lights on the ground at night and everything.  Sure, they weren't the most realistic flight sims but they were great.

Now it's upgrade time again - I'm building a computer that should be able to comfortably run any game made in the next couple years. I need a good combat flight sim!  Do they make those anymore?  I'd like to play something realistic and cutting edge.  Maybe a 2009 rendition of those awesome Jane's games that came out in the 90's.  What's everyone playing?

-reply by Knoxriot

I used to have a copy of this game on 3.5 inch floppy disk

it was good fun, although I was about 6 lol

you ever try the gun boat game released  in the 90's?

another class game