xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brainless

Outbreak Of Violence After Executions Three Catholics shot

well, I'm just going to quote an article I found in today's newspaper, the north-west german "NordWest-Zeitung":

(translation from german to english by me)

Outbreak of violence after executions

INDONESIA Three Catholics shot - Christians attack prison

JAKARTA/KNA - After the execution of three Catholics, there were protests and outbreaks of violence.

Enraged Christians attacked a prison in the home province of the executed Christians. During this attack, several fires have started and up to 190 prisoners escaped.

The public prosecutor's office in the city of Atambua has been assaulted and set afire. There have been violent attacks in other parts of the most crowded muslim country in the world as well.

The Holy See expressed its concern about the execution. Likewise, the Federal Government [of Germany] in Berlin, the European Union and the human rights organisation amnesty international criticized Indonesia's decision to ignore all appeals for grace.

The men have been sentenced to death for causing religions unrests with about 200 casualties in the city of Poso six years ago. They claimed innocence until the end.

--original article--

Gewaltausbruch nach Hinrichtungen

INDONESIEN Drei Katholiken erschossen - Christen greifen ein Gef?ngnis an

JAKARTA/KNA - Nach der Hinrichtung von drei Katholiken ist es in Indonesien zu Protesten und schweren Ausschreitungen gekommen.

Aufgebrachte Christen griffen in der Heimatprovinz der Hingerichteten ein Gef?ngnis an. Dabei seien mehrere Feuer ausgebrochen und bis zu 190 H?ftlinge entkommen.

Das B?ro der Staatsanwaltschaft in der Stadt Atambua sei gest?rmt und in Brand gesteckt worden. Auch in anderen Landesteilen des bev?lkerungsreichsten muslimischen Landes der Welt kam es zu Ausschreitungen.

Der Vatikan ?u?erte sich betroffen ?ber die Vollstreckung der Todesstrafe. Auch die Bundesregierung in Berlin, die EU und die Menschenrechtsorganisation amnesty international kritisierten die Entscheidung Indonesiens, alle Gnadenappelle zu ignorieren.

Die M?nner waren wegen Anstiftung zu religi?sen Unruhen vor sechs Jahren mit rund 200 Toten in der Stadt Poso zum Tode verurteilt worden. Sie beteuerten bis zuletzt ihre Unschuld.

<Nordwest-Zeitung, 23th Sept. 2006; page 2)

...without words...

Edited by brainless (see edit history)

I hadn't yet heard about this. This is why religions are dangerous. First they divide, then they argue, then they insult, then they fight, then they drag the rest of the world into it.

I've searched google News on this case and found, among other stuff, this:

[...]The Christians were executed around midnight by firing squad after being sentenced to death in Indonesia for leading unrest against Muslims that left 200 dead in May 2000 on the Sulawesi Island.
[...]

<http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/>

...and another source I read shortly after starting this topic said they had started a massacre in an elementary school.

well, I'm not going to speak in favor of a death sentence (there's _no_ way I can support organized, society-sponsored murder) but starting a massacre in a school is among the most horrible deeds I can imagine...