xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ProtoMan

Install A Simple Machines Forum

If you want to have your own Simple Machines running up without any ADs of any kind , sign up at Xisto and posting until you have enough credits then post an application form and then wait to be approved. After that , do like this and you will have your own forum setting up :

1.Download Simple Machines

You can get it at Simple Machines download page , click here to get one

2.Upload SMF to the Server

This step is too long so be patient , log in to Xisto forum then log in to your own cPanel , click on File Manager. A pop up Explorer will appear , then click on the public_html folder to expand it (click on its icon , not its name) , click create new folder. Choose a name for that folder (I recommend you use forum as its name) , then exit File Manager. At your cPanel screen , click on MySQL Database , create a database and then create a username for that database. Then grant that username all permissions (Click on the ALL check box).

After you have done , log out of your cPanel. Open File Zilla (What is File Zilla) , then click on Site Manager , click New Site. Choose a name , this is anything you like.

Host : Enter your domain name like something.trap17.com

Server type : Choose FTP

Logon type : Normal

Then enter your cPanel username and password to those two blank fields

Save and Exit

Click on Site manager again , then click on that site , choose connect.

After connected to the server , minimize the File Zilla window , unzip the zipped install file for Simple Machines to any of your folder and re-open File Zilla (It should be on the Taskbar). Local site choose the folder you unzip your files with , then drag and drop all of the files there to the remote site and please wait , it will be long.

3.Install Simple Machines forum

After done , browse to yourdomain.com/forum/install.php (forum is the name of the folder you chose at begin) , just enter everything required then click Install.

There you go , you have got a Simple Machines forum now.

Note:

1.You should log in to your file manager , then delete the file named install.php

2.Open File Zilla , go to Site manager and delete your site , if not , some one else may connect to the server and do bad thing.

I hope what I said can help you out :)

Edited by ProtoMan (see edit history)

i dont think any1 can do anything wrong once u have the right permissions set. When installing set the permissions to 777 (im not sure if this is correct) then intall. Then set the permission to 755 (not sure again) and i dont think any1 can do anything wrong then.

Normally, advance BBS and CMS do not need you to chmod permissions. They can automatically chmod if you haven't done it right. :)

Very nice post , protoman.It helped me alot with installing a Simple Machines Forum :)

It is not so diffical to install the smf, anyone with a little of brain can do that,but it is usefull to have it here as reference.What is good about this forum is that you can upload the addons from the admin panel automatly, without the nessesity of uploading the data to the hosting.

Nice, ProtoMan, installing SMF is really easy but this will get a hold of the guys who don't understand even what's an FTP client or what is "public_html" for.I remember I had a friend that installed PostNuke CMS and then had the wonderful idea of re-executing install.php...Dude, he made it on PURPOSE. XDDFortunately he backed up all. He said "I just wondered what would happen if I did it. ^~^"

Nice tutorial, but I have a quston whether it is possible to upload direct from server to server, without downloading the files. I have installed SMF from fantastico and the latest version available there is 1.0.8, but the curruent version is 1.1 RC3. Many of the mod's are not working. I want to know whether there is any method by which I dont require to download and upload the whole files required for upgradation.

I installed SMF using Fantastico but it had loads of bugs, it's nice that I didn't give anyone the link of my forum.But now I will download a fresh copy of the 1.1 RC3 version and then install it using this tutorial, thanks ProtoMan for posting it. :)

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

Well, I hate Fantastico, since I discovered it gives outdated versions of certain programs/CMS(sometimes) (I am a CMS fan :)).So, I install all by myself, plus, it is fun, It feels good to know that you installed something by yourself and made it work by yourself instead of a pretty complicated and maybe outdated script.

Thanks a lot .... Though it helps having Fantastico to install Simple Machine Forums for me, this tutorial briefed up the whole process . So did clear a couple of things in my mind regarding how SMF is installed..

Ever wanted to install that forum with different settings or requirements you DON'T understand, or anything else?

I can help you with that, let's start with something basic as SMF.

1) Main local view to your root directory, it's soooo empty... Let's make this something of a website, let's start with installing a forum in / (root directory).

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

2) Upload SMF files with an FTP client, I could just have moved the folder, but as I am doing it from localhost, it wouldn't be the same, and someone could end up doing something completely different, I don't know what...(seriously, when someone doesn't know, EVERYTHING can happen. :)).

3) Ended up uploading the forum files? (If you get errors remember to CHMOD your folders.)

Go to your webpage's address, mine is localhost(because the web server is my computer in this case...)

4) Fill in all the required forms.

NOTE: NEVER PREFIX DIFFERENT SOFTWARES WITH THE SAME PREFIX!

5) Make sure you have the proper MySQL database name.

6) Create an admin acc. And a MySQL database administrator password (I think it is actually never used. o.o)

7) Welcome to your new forum!/Bienvenido a tu nuevo foro!/Wilk?mmen t?... Nevermind.

I will be updating with more software to install. That was basically forums, I will explain CMSs, more forums, and a wiki.

Hope ya liked it.

Gimme any questions...

ADMINS: I know there is already an SMF tutorial, but this will be maybe an extensive guide(in development) to making a nice website, which I still haven't decided, I will go through a lot of softwares, by the way.

If you have any problem with any software, contact me and I will investigate how to install it.

Problems with software aren't common.

Enjoy your forums.

--Ziat.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Merged to create one topic for SMF board.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Changed imgage bbcode to urls for the benefit of our dial-up members.