xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
farsiscript

Good Css Editor question

Hi alli want to how you make css file ?do use html editor software like forntpage or .... ? or you have one good software fo this job ?i know i can search at google and find many result but i want get answer from you !i need css editor for this options :1 - good help 2- tip and tops3 - easy commands4 - easy load and work finethanks

Same here, I use notepad to type out the entire css file which I think it might be easier and more precise... Perhaps you can try out Dreamweaver or something or you can go to some css tutorial site which will teach you how to create css stylesheet from scratch...

While Notepad is probably the best thing to use to have total control over your CSS, if you have no idea where to start it can be a bit daunting. When I started using CSS I found a program called "CFi StylePad". It's pretty much a stand-alone WYSIWYG editor for CSS. While it without doubt has it's limitations, I found it a good place to start making CSS pages. From there you can see what the program creates and build on it to suit your needs. You can get StylePad at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

By the way, if you're looking for a good CSS tutorial site, I found this one to be very good. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ There is a lot of information there, but it's worth taking the time to go through it all if you really want to learn.

Good luck. :)

i also agree that writting your own css it's the way to go, as you'll have an ideea of what you are doingi always have the editor (notepad,wordpad or whatever-i use HTML KIT) and my browser always has a tab opened at w3schools.com where i have the documentation for css.

I am surprised to see how many people actually uses notepad for CSS! I thought most people would go with dreamweaver...I also write down my own css, but from dreamweaver, my main choice for web coding. I am not sure if the crimson editor (open source) supports CSS, but if you want a good open source start you can try the amaya browser (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/), besides of being a browser, its also a wysiwyg (x)html/css editor, and has all the attributes in a graphic layout for you to edit...I strongly suggest you go with the code, its easier to locate bugs and stuff and its easier to control what you are doing exactly as you want it... but if you are new to this you might want to try first the graphic way, and learn from the code in the process (that's how I learnt). A good tutorial web site which I used to check often while I was learning (I'm actually still learning new things everyday) is w3schools.comGood luck...

Edited by Lozbo (see edit history)

Whenever I tried to make a site letting dreamweaver take care of styles, it all finished being a real mess with lots of unnecesary code, so you finally have to go to the css and edit it manually to optimize your CSS. After having to do this a couple of times you realize that it?s more productive and you lose less time getting familiarized with the codes and writing them on your own (the same for html and php). But I suppose you need to experiment the other way first, it?s not easy to open a notepad and try to write codes which make sense for the first time. :)

I agree with sprnknwn, I still dont know a perfect wysiwyg editor, they always mess up our code... But I can also state that I would never go only code, because there are a lot of things that I wont be doing, like having to write very common and used tags that dreamweaver does automagically, like br, or strong, or p, or headings...There are also a lot of advantages for example to notepad, the coloring for the text, the built in ftp client, the quick modules here and there for common tasks, the drag and drop funcionality for a lot of things (adding an image on the page, pointing to a link in the built in file explorer, etc), and the list goes on... there are really a lot of little things that make dreamweaver my default web coding software. I still have not known any opensource wysiwyg alternative that can succesfully replace dw (at least for me), and I have tried a few...

Yeah i hate wysiwyg editors and just use the Eclipse IDE to colorc-code my html and php which makes it easier to catch errors, etc. As for CSS, you can make those files in any text editor and are very simple to do. Just save it as a .css file and your done.

Whenever I tried to make a site letting dreamweaver take care of styles, it all finished being a real mess with lots of unnecesary code, so you finally have to go to the css and edit it manually to optimize your CSS.

In adition to my response, I'd like to point out that a common issue with dreamweaver is for example, that it didn't write the shorthand for each rule I did in the graphic view. But this can be modified since dw2004 I believe, and dw8 has improved a lot when it comes to css. I don't even remember now what dw04 did, but at least for the built in help-tooltips that display code suggestions as you type, it has gotten better (it has updated its data base, so it holds more properties and values than before).

You can edit how dreamweaver handles the shorthand css in the preferences. Shorthand css (for those who ignore) is a smaller way to declare something in css, for example, while declaring border for a table (table or anyother element, just as an example, we have top, right, bottom and left borders) instead of going with each declaration, like:

border-top-color:black;
border-right-color:black;
border-bottom-color:black;
border-left-color:black;

you could go just like this

border-color:black

and you need only one line of code. This is just a small example, and as for borders you can even have a shorter hand way to declare border settings (for the width of the border, the color, and the style of the border):

border:1px solid black;

And what I said is that dreamweaver can be set to write the shorthand while editing in graphic view the style sheet, or the other way around....

Good luck...
Edited by Lozbo (see edit history)

Hi alli want to how you make css file ?
do use html editor software like forntpage or .... ? or you have one good software fo this job ?
i know i can search at google and find many result but i want get answer from you !
i need css editor for this options :
1 - good help
2- tip and tops
3 - easy commands
4 - easy load and work fine
thanks

unique, why not use VIM? nothing it can't do ...