xisto Community
AnGeL KiSS

Skinny Wrists

My skinny wrists became a problem in 7th grade, (I'm a 9th grader now) and it isn't a good thing; it might be alright to some guys having skinny wrists so it would make their forearm and arm look bigger if they're a body builder, but I'm not a bodybuilder. My forearm, upperarm, shoulders, stomach, legs, and chest are normal. It's just my wrists. It's skinny enough to make me look anorexic. A few people in 7th grade noticed my wrists and called me anorexic but no where else looked "anorexic type". I didnt have this problem til 7th grade, 5th and 6th I had the normal sized wrists (I think). And somehow now my wrists shrinked or something. This is a problem because when I wear short sleeves to school, (now that I'm in high school, if people notice my skinny wrists; I'll be the "anorexic girl" and that would be a living hell to go through.) I've been trying to wear long sleeves and accessories to cover up my wrists. The past few days have been hot (still going on last few weeks of summer) so I have to pull up my sleeves every once in a while or I'll get sick (by sweating and then really cold in the early morning the next day). I'm 5'4 and weigh 90 lbs, that's about average says the doctor. My wrists around are about 4-5 in if I measured correctly. I don't get why my wrists are so small, my legs are normal too. Sometimes I can't even fit into some jeans, I wear a 16 jeans size and yet I have small wrists. -__- When I look thru some old pictures, like one from 5thgrade... wrists, upperarm and forearm were a little bigger. It's like a lost meat in my arms or something. It's weird though, I have curves and stuff... I just don't understand. I been eating more just for my arms to get a little bigger, it doesn't seem as if it is.... when I raise my arm and face my wrist toward the front of me, my wrist size looks bigger. If I stretch my arm my wrists looks normal and it's so strange. I feel so uncormfortable when I'm in school in short sleeves showing my skinny **bottom** wrists. I've lifting weights and gained a bit muscle in my upperarm. I'm continuing daily but my wrist remains the same.

I've googled around and read that wrists are genetics and can't get any bigger. And I'm not the only one with skinny wrists, I've read the only solution would probably be to do wrist curls and forearm builds. My forearm is normal, I don't need it any bigger. If you take a look at me i don't look anorexic nor am I anorexic.

Posted Image

When I stretch my arm that is how my wrist looks....and my dog was sleeping in the background; didn't want to be evil enough to push her away so I can take a picture and I couldn't walk somewhere else to take it since its taken by a webcam.

Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by AnGeL KiSS (see edit history)

Yes, I do have the same exact problem. o.OFirst of all, at top you said that some guys are ok if they have skinny wrist, cause it would make the arms looks bigger, but no, you are wrong, skinny wrists are as notorious in men as in women.I am trying to increase my wrists size as well, cause them are so thin. But as you, that is the only part of my body that looks thin, (well, my stomach is so thin too, but not as my wrists.. relatively...)The wrists volume cant be increased by lifting weights or doing any other kind of exercise, the only solution for it is eat and eat and eat more... and im gonna do that. Well, im a man and its ok for me i get fatter, but if you dont want to mess up with your other body parts by eating so much (for example your waist), you must do condition exercise, examples, running, swimming, sports like football or basketball. In this way, you will be burning all the grease you got by eating, (but only the grease on your torso, generally, if your wrists get bigger, them wont losse volume after if doing that kind of condition exercises).Wish you luck with this, and im gonna do that same, so if you got better results on your problem tell me how you did it :)

What you are suffering from isnt that unusual to be honest. A quick google uncovered numerous forums where people have posted complaining about it. It would appear that there is little you can do to make them any bigger. I found this, which seemed to sum it up quite well:

There isn't much you can do. The wrist itself is bone and tendons. Once you reach genetic potential that's about as big as it is going to get, give or take.
Wrist curls etc...strengthen the tendons and bone in your wrist joint and muscle in your forearms but there is little to no mucsle in your wrist for hypertrophy.

It's true that your body has a certain area which it stores fat in, with me it'm my legs. My sister always says that my stomach is skinny but my thighs are big (i have to wear uk size 10...it's not toooo toooo big but i've always wanted to be supermodel skinny). So I was quite like, "what the hells happening" so i go to my doctor "how come I've got fat on my thighs but much less on my stomach?" and she goes because your body has a certain area where it likes to store fat. I don't have fat forearms either, my wrists are small.

I have skinny wrists and most of the time people complement me on them because I can wear smaller size bracelets. Plus, It helps to have skinny hands and wrists when it comes to playing an instrument and fixing things and even things as simple as typing. I don't know if there's a direct correlation to the size of your fingers, hand, and wrist, to your coordination with your hands, but most of the people I know who have larger hands, fingers and wrists tend to have more problems typing. Personally opinion, I've never thought of the idea of having skinny wrists as a negative to over all body appearance, at least on women. I've never even thought of the issue until now actually. :) Overall, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have skinny wrists and hands genetically and from my daily activites. I wouldn't want my wrist to be come larger, I like them just how they are. :P

True... Your genetics have you living with slim wrists... They will not increase in size unless you put on LOTS of body fat.

Thats what i found on some forums. You need to eat more and with some lucky your wrists will grow.

I found that wrists have a very little muscle on there (or at least muscles near to wrists) and it can be worked by doing

Wrist Rollers: Posted Image

and Grip exercises Posted Image

Those seems to work, i guess..

Try squeezing a Tennis Ball for an hour or so each day.Swap hands regularly and often.Get a job swinging a hammer, rake leaves, do anything you can think of to build-up your wrists.

*laughs* And here I was, liking my wrists for being the only bloody part of my body that DOESN'T store fat.My BEST advice: Don't worry about it.If anyone says you're anorexic, cheerfully point out a nice, fat-storing area.If you still feel a little anxious, wear wide, cuff-style or chunky bracelets to create a bit of a horizontal strip to distract from the actual shape.

*laughs* And here I was, liking my wrists for being the only bloody part of my body that DOESN'T store fat.
My BEST advice: Don't worry about it.

If anyone says you're anorexic, cheerfully point out a nice, fat-storing area.

If you still feel a little anxious, wear wide, cuff-style or chunky bracelets to create a bit of a horizontal strip to distract from the actual shape.

Hahaha, thanks; made me feel better^^

Well, to be honest, from what I can tell by looking at the picture, they seem awefully normal to me. I wouldn't worry too much about it, many people have skinny wrists (I actually know quite a few, come to think of it) and it's pretty normal. People shouldn't be calling you anorexic just because of your wrists, that's a little extreme. Anorexia is visible EVERYWHERE after a while, so after knowing you for about a year and all you have to show for your supposed "anorexia" is skinny wrists then it becomes almost ridiculous. If anything, they're probably just trying to bug you, in which case you should proudly let them know that you like your small wrists. Being ashamed of them so much that you wear long sleeved shirts won't make you feel any better than being called "anorexic girl". You can't change your wrists, so instead, work with what you have. Wear a bunch of pretty bracelets that most people can't or something. Either way, life is too short to spend so much time worrying about something like the size of your wrists. Later on you'll probably regret not wearing that pretty tank top or expensive T-Shirt you love because of it.Btw, something anorexic girls might do is wear baggier or longer clothes so as not to call so much attention on their sudden loss of weight, or so we were told in health class. So hiding your wrists won't help your case much :)

I also have really skinny wrists. And you can see the bone, hah o_O;;but I haven't worried about it too much. I'm sure you shouldn't suffer too much.In fact annorexia is a disorder that comes from their mind, when they look in the mirror and think they're fat all over, so they get into an eating disorder. It's really terrible how people can use a disorder that many people in the world have as an insult or anything. It would be good to let them understand that, and I'm sure you're not annorexic :)Sometimes when I'm sitting or something and somebody comes and grabs my wrist and looks at it or compares it, I know they'll get these sorts of thoughts too. The best I'd have to do is ignore it because I eat as much as I can, always.By the way, do those wrist curls actually work to make your wrists wider? because my piano teacher tells me to do these finger and wrist exercises. i haven't really seen a change yet, though.

You could try impact excercises like boxing. It really helps developing the basic core of wrists i.e; the wrist bone and would help you get yourself get strong and well formed wrists. I dont know about others but it sure has helped me a lot. Best of luck

i have skinny wrists too, these days they have a bit more muslce on them so thats good. My wrists have actually formed to my watch cuz i used to where it too tight! so watch out. just make sure you don't brake your arm, a guy i know with skinny wrists made a tackle on some one during grid iron (sissy tackle :)) and he broke his arm in 2 places, but then again he was literally skin and bones.

Either way, life is too short to spend so much time worrying about something like the size of your wrists. Later on you'll probably regret not wearing that pretty tank top or expensive T-Shirt you love because of it.

Wow cherish, that made me feel ALOT better, it made me rethink about things.

haha yeah there's a few people that came to me who were my friends and compared my wrists to theirs and went like "OMG TRACEY YOU ARE SO FRICKIN SKINNY!" and yet my butt is bigger than theirs, lmao.

I've read about skinny wrists, the wrist consists of tendons and bones, not much muscle that can increase it's size.