xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

Religion And Terrorism Debate

Starting off, to be quite honest, I'm so sick to death about hearing about terrorist attacks occuring overseas. For example, a recent one was reported on tv that authorities had arrested 20 muslims. Before some people go on about how this religion is bad, and what they are doing is wrong, and so forth, pretty much every religion has their type of weirdos and crackheads.In many cases, religion is not what fuels the fire, its those that are really greedy within the ranks, you got hitler and his dislike for jews, the czaars in Russia, and so forth. It seems that many religions (although I know this isnt the case with the majority in most religions) have their people that want 'control, power and money'. Some people have stated elsewhere that in the end, its all about some humans "being greedy" and having to do whatever it takes to get what they need.To be honest, I'm a non-practising catholic, although I have asked myself many times "does religion really exist?".What are your thoughts?

I think there is something to do with them however i dont think they are directly related. If you were an arab (I am meaning no offence here) and your friend said "Prophet Mohammed wants war with America" You may be inclined to believe it because your religious "icon" "said" that.

I think just because someone is saying lies about something and putting it in a religious point of view. EG "XXXX said that" they become connected.

Terrorism is.......

I feel terrorism is the fear imbibed by the terrorists in us. So the terrorist is obviously the culprit in terrorism. Terrorism involves display of cheap strength to form the base of fear. So terrorists should be the targets for terrorism surely because if they are spared, they will sow many new seeds of terrorism in their progeny. This would then lead to propogation of the crop of terrorism. Regarding the religion of terrorism, I agree with Rashi that terrorism has no religion but at the same time I would like to comment that Muslims being a huge population there is poverty. This poverty inturn leads some of them to adopt terrorism. So I feel no religion is to be blamed for terrorism instead 'POVERTY' and 'FOOLISHNESS' are to be blamed. I would like all of you to pray to God for the well-being of the people of the world. God bless us all! Thanks for giving us the platform to speak in this forum.

If one wishes to form a true estimate of the full grandeur of religion, one must keep in mind what it undertakes to do for men. It gives them information about the source and origin of the universe it assures them of protection and final happiness amid the changing vicissitudes of life, and it guides their thoughts and actions by means of precepts which are backed by the whole force of its authority. It fulfils, therefore, three functions. In the first place, it satisfies man?s desire for knowledge; it is here doing the same thing that science attempts to accomplish by its own methods, and here, therefore, enters into rivalry with it. It is to the second function that it performs that religion no doubt owes the greater part of its influence. In so far as religion brushes away men?s fear of the dangers and vicissitudes of life, in so far as it assures them of a happy ending, and comforts them in their misfortunes, science cannot compete with it. Science, it is true, teaches how one can avoid certain dangers and how one can combat many sufferings with success; it would be quite untrue to deny that science is a powerful aid to human beings, but in many cases it has to leave them to their suffering, and can only advise them to submit to the inevitable. In the performance of its third function, the provision of precepts, prohibitions and restrictions, religion is furthest removed from science. For science is content with discovering and stating the facts. It is true that from the applications of science rules and recommendations for behaviour may be deduced. In certain circumstances they may be the same as those which are laid down by religion, but even so the reasons for them will be different.

* Offensive Material Removed *

Thats like saying *some* people should be kept as slaves because they were stupid enough to be put in that position hundreds of years ago.
They couldnt do anything about it !

Muslims have believed in Mohammed all their life and that's who they believe in. We cant interfere in that... Which some artists did...
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Anybody smell any smoke? Where there is Flaming, there should be smoke.I moved two posts to Spam. We don't tolerate Flaming and/or prejudicial comments on this Board. Credits will be reduced accordingly by the script.

I think you are right. Islam comes from the root word "salaam", meaning peace, God tells us not to fight until they fight with us because war is a sign of the last day and it is supposed to happen but Allah tells Muslims not to set the fire but try to put it out when it is burning.Allah says that the Muslims in the world will be a minute quantity compared to the world as a whole (only 1 person from every 5 people in the world is a Muslim), and from those who are Muslims there will be a minute quantity of those who believe, and from those who believe there will be a minute quantity of those who have knowledge, and from those who have knowledge, there will be a minute quantity of those who are truly pious and righteous and the closest to Allah.You can straight away see that Osama and Al-Qaeda etc. are obviously not those who have knowledge, they are hypocrits, they say they are Muslims but only Allah knows if they truly believe.O people of the book, I am not pleaded or forcing you to embrace Islam, but I am in search of respect for our religion, it isn't right to be dissing us when you do not have KNOWLEDGE of our religion.And I think "arnz" is correct, among those who are Muslims, there is only a MINUTE QUANTITY of the pious and righteous...Is there even any religion left? No, not much, another sign of the last day. Salaam Alaiykum

Edited by sweet_princess (see edit history)

I tend to agree with you that religion is one of the worst things to have a war over, or using it as an excuse to do terrorism, or kill people. To me all religion is, is just words. To me starting a war, doing terrorist acts, and killing people over religious grounds is like doing those things just because someone called you a "meanie". :) I also agree with you every religion has its insane evil people. It rather scares me when I see banners saying "Become Part of God's Army" or "Become Part of Allah's Army". To me religion shouldn't be described as an Army. Last time I checked religion is not a military organization. I just wish I could say to all those people who claim that violence and hatred is the only way, "Why can't we all just get along?" :P

Edited by Madkat-Z (see edit history)

religion is NOT a terrorism ... what will be your answer if i ask you , is the sport a terorism ?? of course no

[Jon Jon]Sad to say yes. But that's the teaching in the Quran I guess. Whoever that attacks you, only you go into war. They feel that way I think.

maybe you should ask a muslim or read what the Qur'an before judge ! i'm muslim and i don't see why are we supposed to be in war .. do you have in your religion something that says what you had said ?? if you think in this maybe you will say that science is a terorrism (E=Mc˛) ;)....

I do not feel it is religieons that are the terrorist's, it is the exetremist's who are the terrorist's. Yes there religieon may have indoctrinated killing other into them. But Define terrorism?Have you ever heard of the saying, One mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter?Honestly i believe religeion is blamed far too much for terrorism, as i personally do not have any beliefs about god or whatever.How many people knew what terrorism was before 9/11? It only became associated with muslims, (i mean to cause no offense when i say this) after that happened. Now if anyone metions terrorism you straight away think about them. In the Uk we have had terrorism alot longer. The IRA attacks were terrorism but are they really remembered?Bottom line is Religion is a cause for war over thing's that are possibly not true. Possibly an excuse for a fight.

In my very personal and humble opinion it is the religion which in fact orders person to kill or those people who explain religion to the common people. Because as far as I can see in the news and reports from the world it is only the muslim who use suicide attacks. No other nation nor religion has made such things. I have never heared about Christian who killed himself on some square or attempted to blow the building with plane hijack. So it is all coming from the muslim and they are extremists I agree and it is all down to the people who explain the Kuran to the young guys who then go to kill themselves. The point here is that they think that they will receive place in heaven and 72 virgins and so on. So you see Christianity doesn't promis such thing so no one is doing it. It is like kinda supply and demand. So the fact is that religion is infecting young people to commit such attempts and so on.However if we look terrorism it is like way to fight the government and it is present in every religion and every society it is not affected by religion. Because there are bomb set ups in the Europe like IRA and ETA and so on. Which are making terrorist attacks however they have stopped in the past few years. So terrorism itself is not infected by religion but extreme terrorism (like suicide bombers) is affected by religion.

Religion is apersonal belief and should be left at that. That the pther person is of a different religion should be seen as simply as that person has a different name than yours. IT just doesn't make a difference. The sooner people realise it the better. No religion states that people practising other religions are evil. The holy books are interpreted by vested interests to make it seem that way. As for Muslims and terrorism, the terrorists are only a miniscule portion who have been misguided by individuals to further their own personal agenda. Also there is a problem of conversion. In poor countries Christian missionaries have been know to give money to people wh convert to their religion. Again this is a very small portion of the Christian population. It is high time people realize that religion is a personal choice just as your hairstyle is.

Religion is apersonal belief and should be left at that. That the pther person is of a different religion should be seen as simply as that person has a different name than yours. IT just doesn't make a difference. The sooner people realise it the better. No religion states that people practising other religions are evil. The holy books are interpreted by vested interests to make it seem that way. As for Muslims and terrorism, the terrorists are only a miniscule portion who have been misguided by individuals to further their own personal agenda. Also there is a problem of conversion. In poor countries Christian missionaries have been know to give money to people wh convert to their religion. Again this is a very small portion of the Christian population.
It is high time people realize that religion is a personal choice just as your hairstyle is.

I agree that religion is personal choice but you haven't answered other question why aren't there suicide killers in other civilizations or religions with exception Japan which is other way of suicide attack then those practices by muslims. You see this is the problem as Islam is violent religion and if they have holy wars against Christianity and their religious leaders call people to actually go to such war they will go.

And this happened in Christianity also but several hundreds years ago human civilization has evolved since that time and such radical approach should be abondened.

I think you are right! Religion is not the real cause of war.
However, you're questioning whether there is really a true religion. I can answer that question for you...
Remember, this is my opinion and don't worry, I won't kill you if you don't agree with me..LOL

I think that Islam is a true religion, because there are many scientific facts in the Qur'an, which still remains in its pure form from 1400 years ago.
You probably think I'm chatting a whole load, but I seriously am not.

Heres the website that I found out about the miracles of Islam on:
http://www.islam-guide.com/

Oh yeah, and if you don't agree with me, I don't mind.
If you ever do decide to accept Islam, I'll be happy for you!