xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
red_dragon_here

Is There A God ? If So Who Found Him First ?

I saw a topic about religion and atheism and it got me thinking.Is there a God ? Who started worshipping God first ? Why do we depend on God to explain all unexplainable stuff ? Science tells us that everything you see, feel, or hear can be explained on the basis of logic,common sense and facts. Then why do we have to pray to God to make our troubles go away or to wish for something. We should be knowing that this is not possible as it does not conform to logic or commonsense.Or is there really some power that can control what the future holds for you.Can anybody give any examples of events that cannot be explained. If there are no such events occuring or if such events occur rarely, it does not count. It has to occur regularly if we have to believe in some external force. Even when there are no such events, why do we have faith. If there is a God, who found Him first ? How did he find Him. What were people doing before that.Questions so profound that I cannot even guess whether there is an answer.Send in your comments...

I feel God is there and we can very much sense Him. Just take an example of a baby inside the mother's womb. Have you ever thought how does its first heart beat start. Its still a mystery! Thats where God's existence comes into picture. God is a supernatural power which is beyond the reach of human brain and even beyond the reach of Science. I feel worshipping God was not started by an individual itself but by most of the people who have experienced His superpowers. I hope I have covered the questions which you have asked.

Without wanting to give any statement on which religion is superior, I'll give you a very short "history of religion(s)", in reversed order:

The newest kind of religion are monotheistic religions (i.e. religions which worship one God; plus we're discussing whether Atheism [i.e. no god(s)] should be considered a religion in the thread you're referring to) like the Islam, Christianity and Judaism.

(I'll leave out Hinduism and Buddhism since I know that my knowledge of them is ... well, "not much" would say that I know more about them than I actually do - if need be, this can probably be looked up...)

Just about all earlier religions were polytheistic (i.e. more than one; in most cases many gods) and each God had a clearly defined function like "the God of War", "the God of the seas", "the God of trees", "the God of hunting", "the God of spoons" etc etc. These differed from region to region but 'worked' on the same principle - if you wanted to influence something, you had *some kind of ritual* to make the specific God do your bidding...

-----

I think a friend of mine gave a pretty good answer to your question when he first saw the thread you're referring to - "God or Gods are a metaphor for everything we can not recognize, can not understand."

No one knows god, no one have seen him, etc.. but what makes people still think that there exist god, its called faith. With stuff being explain by science, Im lossing the faith on god and religion.I guess the god concept is mostly used like for represent the awesome force of nature, and for unknown events. Of course, i think that unexplainable stuff is gonna be discovered by science someday, near or far, but it will be.

Religion was created because, thousands of years ago, they couldn't explain anything with science. Sure, they could make fire. But fire can't explain why there are so many different living animals and why we seem to be the only sentient ones. The easiest explanation is that something more powerful than us did it. We can explain so much now that there's really no reason to continue believing in any God(s).

Although we can explain a lot, it's not enough to disprove God.

Common sense isn't 100% reliable. Many people tell you, "use some common sense". But common sense is learned. It's not as common as one would think. You first require some knowledge in something inorder to produce common sense. Just like the five senses (touch, taste, smell, vision, and hearing) aren't 100% reliable, either. A person in the dark is equal to a blind person.

You know the saying, "If it smells like it, tastes like it, feels like it, sounds like it, and looks like it, then it must be it"? Have you ever walked in the dark, with the surrounding area is unfamiliar to you, and try to determine what is around you?

If you look within the Bible and the Qur'an you will find many scientific facts. These people knew about such facts, thousands of years ago. Not to sure how long ago science kicked in, but it probably wasn't too long ago, which makes you wonder: Have we become so dependant on technology that we have downgraded? And how did these people know about some of these scientific facts, if there wasn't any Divine interference? I've seen many things in science that would help people increase in faith.

If there is a God, who found Him first ? How did he find Him. What were people doing before that.

There is no answer to these questions--in science, that is. The only place to look for the answers to these questions would be either in the Bible or the Qur'an. I believe there is a God. I wouldn't say someone found Him--as in, made Him up. But rather found Him by Him making Himself known to them.

For some things.. people say nah, i need to see it to believe it.. yet again they say they believe in god, and have they seen it? and don't know what you mean about who found him first, cause a group of person had done something to him. Don't really know what to say... :/

We will never know about God. You have to make some choices of what you believe. Nobody can be proven right or wrong, so this is kind of worthless. People all have different views on this kind of stuff. It just depends on your religion, which is your choice.

We don't find God. He's always there. He's the one that finds us, and leads us to him.Science measures the natural. God is supernatural. Therefore, science cannot prove that there isn't a God, nor can it prove that there is.

Might I add my two cents to the million-dollar jumble:Someone once quoted, "Where God does not exist, Man will create him" and another one said, "Today's myths are yesterday's religions."Nobody actually finds God. People just believe they found him/her/it. It's called religion/faith. Besides, there's nothing that says today's religions will last forever. Just as people today scoff, "Apollo worship? How primitive! Those poor guys never found what they're looking for," people twenty thousand years from now might just as well say "God. Ha! What a bunch of weaklings, who believed in something that wasn't even there." :)

nice one, salamangkero :)

-----

I'd just like to throw in another ?0.02 on the issue of fact-based holy scriptures like the Quran and the Bible:

The Quran describes an incident concerning Noah who built a ship because someone gave him the advice that he should do so since the land was going to be drowned.

The bible describes an incident way to similar to be some other Noah building a ship on some other place because some other land is going to be drowned.

Archeology tells us that the Mediterranean Sea sprung into existence something like 10 000 years ago when the passage of Gibraltar became a passage, allowing the Atlantic Ocean to flood the land between Europe and Africa, thereby erasing it from the maps (well, if there were any maps back then).

Tell me, how would you explain it when an area the size of Germany or Turkey or Texas [i hope I got enough areas which people can compare it to :P ... I don't really mind if I'm right or wrong concerning the relation between said countries/state and the Mediterranean - it's an example, not a formula...] was wiped out of existence within a couple of weeks or, using high-speed data links, within a couple of days, maybe hours. I'm sure the first thing we'd see on anybody's face would look like he's about to ask "what ... what ... what ... what happened????(or even more question marks)". And then try to explain it without the help of so-called 'experts' because they've all been in Texas at that time :P

I feel God is there and we can very much sense Him. Just take an example of a baby inside the mother's womb. Have you ever thought how does its first heart beat start. Its still a mystery!

That is hilarious. What do you mean it's a mystery? Just because you don't know doesn't mean it is a mystery. Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

I find it funny how god gets credit for so many things. People need to face reality and stop blaming or crediting god for everything. You are responsible for your actions NOT GOD. Like stupid bush saying jesus told him to fight the muslims. Retarded people.

You are responsible for your actions NOT GOD.

So you're saying, the baby chose to start-up its own heart, and is responsible for starting it?

But since when weren't we responsible for our own actions? The Bible and the Qur'an also teaches us that we are responsible for our own actions.