xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

Stingrays With Tails Cut Off In "revenge Attacks"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5338118.stm

Irwin fans 'in revenge attacks'
10 Stingrays have been found dead on two Queensland beaches
Dead stingrays with their tails cut off have been found in Australia, sparking concern that fans of naturalist Steve Irwin may be avenging his death.

I find it wrong for people to do that for some reasons. Sure those did may have done it may possibly be grieving over Irwin's death, but doing that wont be avenging his death at all. It's a shame that animal cruelty still occurs in some cases. I dont understand it at all, as that goes against Irwin's message of "animal conservation".

Wow this is horrible. I wouldn't think people who loved the man so much would take revenge in his name like this.Sure they're angry, but think about it...Steve Irwin devoted his live to protecting animals and studing them. He would never want this to happen to animals. I believe people should think about how Steve Irwin would have really wanted to happen after his death, if they did they'd know this isn't the solution.

i don't understand it either, but there will always be misguided individuals who will act on such irrational ideas as these. in truth, those who perpetrated those "revenge attacks" are not truly "fans" of steve iriwn. they are simply blood-lusting individuals who have no intention whatsoever of living up to irwin's life and teachings when he was alive, much more emulate his love for animals. more likely they are just bored people riding on the media attention irwin's death was getting. i wish those who did these senseless murder and mutilation of the stingrays get caught eventually, so they can be meted with whatever penalty the law requires for such sordid acts.

they should not take revenge on stingrays. i read stringrays are peaceful animals who only attacks whn provoked. and steve irwin would never want to see people doing this.

This is nuts! Are people seriously so mad about this death that they will kill sting raysover it! Steve Irwin helped us learn about the environment and the animals it held. What if he was shot instead? Would people kill the people that shot him? I don't see why fans are so mad. He wasn't that famous and it's not like the stingrays were trying to kill him. It was just a freak accident and should be accepted as that.

i agree with all of what you guys were saying, but i do suggest reading some more of the article

Wayne Sumpton of the state fisheries department said it was not clear if the incidents were connected to Mr Irwin's death.

He said fishermen who inadvertently caught stingrays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but such a practice was uncommon.

and also this section

"We just want to make it very clear that we will not accept and not stand for anyone who's taken a form of retribution. That's the last thing Steve would want," he said.

this just shows that this is not what steve would want, but it still is a practice among some australian fisherman :s

read the full story here

Just realized he posted the link, but just in case you didnt see it either, ill leave it up xD

Edited by AlternativeNick (see edit history)

Wow that is pretty interesting... I think I read this topic somewhere, don't remember maybe it was here but I just never posted a reply... I remember when I was small and I watched the animal channel, it was so interesting when irwin was crocodile teasing or something... he was really an inspiration... I was shocked when I heard this on the news :).. and when his children grows up, he wouldn't be able to see their father.. it's so sad....even my parents, who don't really speak much english but understand a bit have watched his shows, my dad esp loved the animal channel, we would mostly watch him hunting different kinds of animals... but I think I got a little off topic there.. If Irwin was still here, he wouldn't want to see the Stingrays having their tails cut as he loved animals.

I really wonder what they think that's going to accomplish. I mean the guy worked with a bunch of animals, some more dangerous than others. I really feel bad for the stingray population in Australia. Hopefully people will realize it was a freak accident. I mean it's not like the stingray is gonna say "Hey It's that crocidile guy. Let's kill him!" I guess it's just a way to take out anger for their loss.

Well, the killing of stingrays in an attempt to avenge Steven Irwin's death really is silly, but it's not like they're being wiped out - it was just a few isolated incidents, I believe. Statistically, more people would have died that day of car crashes than did stingrays.