xisto Community
Robbie Rotten

Changing Legal Age For Driving

Now this is a good debate I think as it's something I'm not happy with as I have haven't passed yet.I first started having driving lesson at 17 and I didn't fully understand that I would have to take quite a few as I have learning disabilities and I quit them.As for my brother he has been taking them for a couple of months now bu the thing that has pissed him off quite a bit is that they are supposedly chnaging the age of when a newbie can learn how to drive and that will include even when they have passed.They are supposed to be poutting the age of legal driver up to 21 as there hgas been too many idiots and accidents through the new youngsters at 17 years old or even 18 driving around like lunaticks and killing people as they ain't watching the road. They're are like more concerned about listen to their music at full blast and hitting the gas and doing like 70-90 miles on the M1.What's all of your thoughts on this debate????

Well, being 15 I would be able to start lessons soon and get my provisional licence. If they do put the age limit up, a lot of people are going to be very irate if they have got insurance, a car, fuel and everything else, only to be told that they can't drive for a few years. This'll just lead to more illegal drivers with no insurance or MOT certificate. Personally I don't think they should up the age limit. The problem is lack of experience, not the age. Unless the age is raised to 40-odd then the perception will be that young drivers speed. We should all be made to take the course from the IAM, which also drops the insurance cost quite dramatically! Drivers will be more aware of their actions and limitations.They will also realise quite rapidly that it is very difficult to do 90mph on the M1 during rush hour :)

my co-worker at the pizza shop just got his permit, in the state of pennsylvania if you are under 18, you can get yoru permit, and even take your driving test, but you cannot get your liscence until you are 18. I think it's a week after your 18th birthday.My opinion it's not the young drivers getting into all the accidents, it's the drunk drivers and the elderly causing the accidents.I mean yes these kids wanan impress thier girls by driving fast, but that rarely is teh reaosn for accidents. it's when alcohol is involved. statistics in PA here were 75% of underage people arrested and cited for driving violations were under the influence of alcohol.also in the state of PA. for those who already have thier liscnence and are under 18 prior to the rule change, they cannot drive after 11 PM and not before 6AM. The only excpetion to that rule is if they are going to or coming from work.

Allright the way it may end up being is eveyone born after some magic month in 91 will have to wait till 18 (this law hasnt passed yet) and that would mean 17 1/2 for permit i would think...1 MAJOR flaw with them doing this is most kids are going off to college at 17-18 so they wont get the driving experience they need before they go... so at the current age its perfect they get time to drive with there parents and then 1-3 years more practice before college where there parents can *BLEEP* at them...

The age for getting your learners permit in california i2 15, and to get your liscense is 16.i personally think that is a high enough age to be stuck learning how to drive.. i think people should be able to get their learners at 14.5 and liscense at 15 or 15.5 and it shouldn't be any higher. but i also think there should be resrictions to that.. i think that the DMV needs to send out like monthly progress reports to all of the student drivers and get the teachers to sign it off and put a grade, and if they slip on grades, their liscense should be revoked (SP). Because, me, i learned to drive at 14 illegally.. and i have to wait 3 months >_< before i can get my liscnense, and even then its not going to happen because i need to pay to take my drivers ed and drivers training class before i can get my lisense.so i think the driving age should be lowered with restrictions, and thats that :) i mainly think this because i am a responsible kid who wouldn't be an idiot driving 90-100 MPH, but the blasting of music i might do because you dont need to listen when you drive, you need to look.

In my country, legal age to drive is 18, just for your information. Well, I agree with the point of reckless driving but one thing, if don't start at that age, then when? Raw drivers tend to make mistakes. Come on, even elder drivers makes mistakes on the road too. Not only new drivers. So yeah, don't need to change the legal age. Instead, have a more strict rule on the road. Some heavy fines or something?

I get my permit when I turn 16 in just a few months (february). I honestly do not think that raising the age would change anything. This leads to another important question. If age limits keep getting moved back and back and back, when are children considered "adults". I know in the jewish religion is it 13. In most of Europe, I believe the drinking age is 15 or 16. In schools, they teach us that we are no longer children and have assumed the responsibilities of adults, as we are no longer minors once we turn 16. What message would be sent by revoking priveliges of these new, "adults"? keep the driving age at 16 (in ny anyway, I know that is is 14/15 in rural states in america).

Edited by adamtirella (see edit history)

I have been driving since i was 16 and now i am 20. It is a very simple thing to do but you just have to learn how to handle the car in extreme circumstances. I think the age should stay 16.5 if u have had drivers education and 17 if you have not but new drivers should be forced to take a driving course where you have to handle the car in different bad circumstances. This would teach people how to control a car when spinning, sliding, hydroplaining, etc.

the age you can vote for national leaders in your country should be the age when you can get to apply for your driver's license. i believe that if the government thinks you are mature enough to add your voice in the ballots, which will affect the course of the future of your country, then they shouldn't hinder you with age restrictions over and above the voting age by the time you seek a driver's license. :blink:

It's always nice having the ability to be able to drive from one place to another, especially for the younger people who need to be able to get to college, university etc.I don't think changing the age limit to 21 would make any difference to the amount of accidents/drink driving, as said a few posts back, it would just cause riots and possibly illegal driving.At the end of the day, it's not just the youngsters who are idiots when it comes down to driving, I feel the older audience forget how to drive after a while. In an ideal world, I'd force a retake after 20 years or so and have the limit maybe as 18, not 17.Anyway if they do decide to change the age limit to 21, there will be unhappy people and the amount of problems won't decrease, if anything it may even get worse! They government would do better worrying and investing money in some other topic such as global warming than wasting their time/cash debating about whether or not the legal driving age should change.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

Currently the age to apply for learners down here is 16.5, with the Provisionals at 17. Then after that, you'll need to hold your provisionals for 3 years before applying for the full open license at 20. So fairly much, you'll need to hold on your l's for a minimum of 6 months and Ps for a minimum of 3 years before applying for the opens. I'd say I keep it as is, they are some notable restrictions when a driver is on their Ls or Ps. With the most noted ones being is that both the L and P drivers are not able to drink at all (no tolerance limit), and that they only receive 4 points as opposed to 12 points when it comes to demerit points. So which means if they really speed or do other similar road offences, and the penalty is 5 points.. then the L or P driver loses their learners or Ps.

In michigan i took drivers training at 14 and 9 months. Then you could get your license at 16. Although they have some sort of restricted license and then i got my real license when i turned 17. I think its a pretty good idea to raise the driving age to 18. I havent had a ticket or car accident in the 4 years i have been driving..... but i should have :blink:

I heard about those in New Zealand that are able to get their L plates at 15 and a half, their Ps at 16 iirc.. but they are some driving restrictions involved for those on P plates in NZ.. It was something to the affect of carrying passengers at particular times, but being across the Tasman, I would have no idea what exactly the restrictions are there.