xisto Community
darran

Interracial Relationship Will you accept it?

I would like to ask your opinion in thisWould you accept a relationship whereby there is a different race shared by the 2 lovers? For example, the guy is of different racial color from the girl. I am in this kind of relationship and I certainly do not appreciate the stares and glaring I get on the streets. For example, at a bus stop, the entire alighting bus would just turn to stare at us. And I would glare back at them in response to their stare. I accept that this is a very unique and different relationship from the rest in my country (Singapore). But aren't the world equal with each race or religion? Isn't that what we are trying to promote all across the world, to not have dispairing difference or biased opinion between races? At least in my country, we are trying to promote racial harmony every year, equality between the Chinese, Malays, Eurasians and Indians. But with this kind of staring going on whenever there is an indifferent couple, how could you say this is achieved? The staring begins because we are of different races, and why is that a problem? It is not as if an american can't be with an african or that an asian can't be with a european. I have undergotten a lot of tribulations to be with my current girlfriend, and this unique and pathetic response I get from the public is just one of the many ridiculous problems I am facing. However I would not consider them as a problem because this is not going to affect my close to 4 years relationship with my current girlfriend. I noticed we do not get much attention from the foreigners, it is only within our country that this staring is going on. For example, I took my girlfriend on a trip to a nearby island called 'Sentosa'. We took a cable car, and there were 2 foreigners with us. We engaged in a healthy conversation and there was nothing which suggests that there was any racial disparity argument issues. Would you be like the majority on the streets? Stare at an indifferent couple or will you be quietly rejoicing because there is yet another couple bringing 2 different races together?

I'd be happy that there is an interracial couple in front of me, it would give me hope that racial equality may some day be. Although, i live in london, england, it's nice here, and there are a lot of interracial couples, of various sexualitys! it's all good. anyway, good luck in your relationship, persevere, don't let the stares get to you. i sometimes go out with my not-so-straight mates, and we often get a lot of looks, especially when i'm all over them lol. good luck :)

I don't exactly agree with it but I can accept it.Its not really my prefrence to date outside my race.I was always attracted to white guys because I am white.I don't judge people so I really don't have an opinion on it.There are too sayings i would like to use.

Whatever floats your boat

lol

Different strokes for different folks

.Its all in the matter of prefrence

I don't really care what race people date, even if its not their own. I don't date guys normally that aren't white, its not because I am rascist, i just dont find them attractive. (STOP! before you insist thats rascist, because i know a lot of people who aren't white, who will be quick to say a white person is ugly/unattractive, so just stop before you think you are ahead. I have no problem being friends with anyone not white, but I just hardly feel a love connection with anyone who isn't white.) But if I saw you on the street, I probably wouldn't stare, it wouldn't bother me, but then again i live in california and i often see whites with mexicans, blacks with whites, mexicans with blacks, whites with asians... it just isn't a big deal to me.

This problem will always excist, untill people start looking to the future, instead of being with their heads in the past. It used to be strange to see interacial couples, because we didn't knew much about the others culture, and didn't want to know about it. Racism also plays a part in it. People should start thinking ahead instead of still worrying and having the history in the back of their heads. People have to face this time of life it is normal to see interracial couples and it's accepted. So people should do that first, and if they still stare at you, remember jealousy is the main reason why!

Consider that Racism is a socially learned trait. We aren't born racist. Our Culture and Societal upbringing teaches us to be that way.When I was younger, I had an opportunity to watch (from a distance) as Detroit Michigan was burning during the riots of the sixties and didn't understand what was happening, but I knew it was bad because of the scenes I watched on television. From that experience, and with help from my parents due to their open-mindedness, I consider that I am extremely fortunate to be as close to non-racist as I could imagine. It would not phase me what-so-ever to see a mixed relationship. But you and others might be phased,due to your upbringing, so the important thing is to live your life and you will know in your heart whether there is anything wrong with your relationship. *warning* They don't always last, so enjoy them while you have the opportunity. *end warning*Hopefully, yours will last a long time, if it is right for both of you, regardless of the mixing of the races. Good Luck, of course.

Alright.. Age can be discriminated too. Im 47 and have 5 children :) BUT when I was young.. I will have to say that I am white, danish and live in Denmark, which is a free country in many ways. Oh, and Im a lady..When I was young, about 22, I had a boyfriend who came all the way from Sudan in Africa. He had been married to a danish girl, and he had 2 small children with her. When I met him, he was divorced.That was 25 years ago now. But even then, not even one person ever starred at us in the city of Copenhagen. We got alot of smiles :P We were a couple in love...IF some one at that time would have been starring, saying something..ANYthing..about interacial mix! THEN I would have gotten into a discussion with the person, about the fact that love has many colours.My answer to you, the guy in Singapore, is to stay in love :P and that shouldn't be hard, ignore the ignorant people and/or give them a big, happy smile back when they stare.And, yes, I would stare at you! But I always stare at people in love :P black, white or green...

hmm well im kinda in the same situation abit but not too much...its not like im white and shes black...but im part asian n black...but i look more spanish than anyhting else...like PRish...sometimes i feel like i get the stares...but i can only assume what theyre starin about i can just straightly assume its about the color...i mean it could be something else...like what if they feel attracting towards my girls or me...they could be watchn to see some kissing or w.e...because you know people are nosy like that...so i dont really try to run into conclusions till i really know what its really about

I am glad to see all your replies, you guys don't seem to mind the interacial mix at all. It is a small/non-existent problem in your country but in mine, being an Asian country and all, with all the talk about their conservative sensitive culture, 80% of the people on the streets would stare at you and no it is not stares of envy, but stares of racial abuse. For e.g. when I was walking with my girlfriend, a group of young kids said something like 'A black and a white'. How would you feel if you faced something like this?

We have been through a lot of ordeals together, and after 3 years, our relationship is beginning to settle, and I am certainly hopeful that our mutual feelings do not change over the course of time. But you are right, we should all just live for the moment, think about our wonderful memories and forget our sad memories.

My answer to you, the guy in Singapore, is to stay in love smile.gif and that shouldn't be hard, ignore the ignorant people and/or give them a big, happy smile back when they stare.

Well I love my girlfriend a lot so that shouldn't be a problem. However I find it extremely difficult to give a big happy smile back to them especially when they make stares like that which I don't find friendly at all. There are some friendly people who gives us a smile when they see us, I believe they are just like you, staring at people who are in love.

Thank you for all your wonderful replies. It really gives me optimism that the stares are only specific in my country alone, and not all over the world. I hope in time to come, people in Singapore at least will come out and accept such relationships because love should not be restricted to a particular racial group. I don't see much of these problems as described by you guys existing in such a large scale in other countries (mainly in the US, and Europe)

I've never had a problem personally with interracial couples or being a part of one. I do actually find guys of all races to be attractive. Maybe it comes from growing up in a very racially mixed place. Or maybe I just don't want to limit myself :) I really can't understand why people have problems with it.

that is messed up! You should not have any stares at you just because you're not of the same race. jesus, what a backward country singapore must be!Me and just aout every other white guy would love to have a latino beauty like J-LO or an african darling like beyonce going out with us. The only stares we'd get would be ones of envy :)

It is very uncommon to se someone of black color here in my country, since it seems the whole world is trying to avoid us (except Chinese, they are all over the place, with their shops with cheap merchandise)...However, from time to time, we get the pleasure of someone black walking our streets, with one of our girls... I don't stare... I don't find it unusual... I'm actually happy, because it makes me feel we're becoming a part of the world...Since we are all humans, no matter the color, or religion, I don't see anything wrong in people of different colors, nationalities, or religions, being tigether... If they can make it together, and they love each other, and are happy together, who are we to stop them, or to judge them...I actually can find a black woman attractive and beautifull, same goes for white girls, asiuans, eskimos, native americans... I never see someones color, I only see another human being, with emotions and a life, same as me...So, my advice to you... Don't pay any attention to those stares... No one can control your life, and who you love, but your self... Well, actually, you can't control who you love, but you know what I mean :)Good luck, on getting through with all those closed-minded people...

My question is: will staring hurt you? If it does, that means you are not a strong person. If it dosen't, which is certainly the case for me, then you are free to enjoy any realationship that comes your way, and not stress out one bit about that aspect.

As long as you don't make it a issue about what other's think about your interracial relationship then don't worry about it. They are not dating your girlfriend or boyfriend.