xisto Community
OpaQue

Mysql Downtimes...

There have been issues of MySQL downtimes.. but the main reason is that some members are trying to experiment stuff.Some of the recent cases . 1> A member tried to send 50,000 emails ... while most of them were duplicate. I guess, to screw up the server. I had to delete his account.2> Some one tried to put random stuff into mySQL database, and he put it into an infinite loop. That caused mySQL to HOG up since it was expected to execute unlimited queries.. The tmp size was filled and SQL was down.3> Someone also tried to abuse JSP/ Tomcat which is THE MOST ADVANCED feature we provide, at the same time, it is also processor intensive. It was abused and the server went down completely. we had to restart the server to get things back to normal. 4> and there are many more such cases..All I would request members is that, Please dont experement things or scripts on my server. There are a lot of members on it and any problems is going to affect all of them. Lets use the service together.. happily.-Regards,OpaQue.

Edited by Dooga (see edit history)

This is really sad. One gets everything for free and abuse.. it might be very hard for admin to go and check this defaulters as members crosses above 5000. I can't understand this kind of people... they are not afraid of the consequences of this kind of crime....

I'm guessing they're competitors of Xisto and are trying to mess with us.Why would a whole bunch of people just suddenly decide to "experiment" with the MySQL databases? They're most likely a team of competitors that wants us dead...

Rise thread, service interruption breathes life into you....With respect to gyad it seems unlikely to me that this is some sort of targeted attack from an outside group. Anybody from Xisto who gets fed up and moves to payed hosting will probably go to Xisto - Web Hosting.We'll see though, hopefully the pattern of abusive activity will be clear.long live Xisto!

Ugggghhh. Stupid people abusing Xisto. I don't think it's an attack by a competitor though. I think it's just idiots. It's really annoying when all these MySQLs are going down. I tried to install Xoops, but it said that it couldn't use a MySQL datababse (although it's working now). But it's still amazing that Xisto offers so any MySQL's. I mean, so many Hosts i've seen offer 5 MySQLs, even when it's $10.00 a month. Keep it up Xisto! In the mean time, is there anything any of the non-abusive members can do to help?

In the mean time, is there anything any of the non-abusive members can do to help?

191106[/snapback]

Yes. Vote for Xisto in those sites that list free web hosts. If you do that, then more people will find Xisto -> there will be more ad-clicking -> more revenue for Xisto -> more money to buy resources -> more people will come -> (restart cycle).

Well thats WRONG! How can someone be so evil to do that...TRAP17 is the best free service you can find on the web and someone still wants to destroy it! I just can't help it, but to feel the desire to kill those poeple..

The whole thing is very sad. Obviously there are people that don?t have more things to do apart from coming here to &%$# with Xisto great service. For all those hacker wannabes, you know that you suck.To shadowdemon: I don?t think your intention was to harm Xisto but think about it... ?what?s the point in sending 50000 mails? You?ll probably get a server saturation or whatever. ?Can?t you experiment with a lower number? We all have to take care of what we like and not play with everyone?s hosting.

I could see that some of those might by accident to some point, but the one were he sent out 50,000 + emails is just clearly an attack on the server. People try to promote their site by sending out alot of emails but none that go to duplicate addresses.

i have about 2,000 membrs on one of my forums, I had to re-write the way phpBB sent emails so that it would send 100 at a time, with breaks in between, that site is not on this server, but I want to point out that mass mailing can put ALOT of stress on any server. If you are going to mass mail, try to do it so that there are reequent breaks in between each group of emails you send, to relieve the stress on the server :huh:

I have also experienced those mySQL server downtimes these past days. but Opaque's post was made from Nov 14, 2004. So the recent downtimes may not have anything to do with those email spammers.