xisto Community
cherosoullis

Built A Server For Webhosting And Web Page Support

Well i can help you there. A server is basically a large computer which servers a specific purpose like you have Web servers (one which you want to build) DNS servers (Domain Name Service) ummm information servers (serves info to the local community or workplace) storage server's (store things on).

If you are looking to build a webserver for webhosting ect. first of all you need to buy some sort of case to house the servers in. Many people (like me) use 1 - 2 u server cases so they can fit into a rack for easy storage. But there 1 - 2 u cases can cost around ?50 or $65, If you plan to host from home and cant really afford to buy a rack you can get away with using a Standard ATX case that many PC's use. Next you actually need to buy the hardware. The best hardware for servers hosting websites and webpages usually has to be able to cope with a large server load as otherwise you can get massive amounts of downtime. below i will list the standard set of requirments you will need to build a server for small to medium size webhosts, then below that i will list whats best and what i use in my servers.

Standard Requirments

1. Good sized ATX case with a standard airflow system

2. Single socket motherboard ( 1 cpu bays)

3. Depending on the type of motherboard you will need a diferent CPU (Processor) Single or dual core AMD opteron processor or single / dual Intel Xeon or Pentuium 4 (With HT)

3. You will need around 2-4 GB Ram to keep resources stable

4. Lan onboard or PCI Express again depending on the type of motherboard some have onboard LAN support and some dont.

5. If hosting from home professional router which can handle high demand traffic. 2MBPS Broadband WITH high upload and download limit

6. Opperating system for server, Windows or Linux best.

7.Web server (If on windows you can use IIS) Apache (Works best on Linux)

8. If hosting people you want a control panel free one that looks professional.

9. 30-60 SATA HDD

10. CD ROM drive

Whats best

1. 1-2 U server rack case with extremly good airflow (Alazka recomended)

2. Dual to Tri socket motherboard (2 - 3 CPU Bays)

3. Depending on the type of motherboard you will need a diferent CPU type, the best to use are Dual Core AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon Dual Core processors.

3. 4-8 GB RAM

4. 1GBit Entherent support

5. If hosting from home professional router that can handle high demand traffic. 8MBPS Brodaband with unlimited upload and download support.

6. Opperating system for server, Windows or Linux best.

7. Web server (If on windows you can use IIS) Apache (Works best on Linux)

8. If hosting people you want a control panel Recomended cPanel, Plesk or Helm (best in my experience)

9. 120GB SATA / RAID 1

10. CD / DVD ROM drive

What i use on my servers for virtual hosting and what is best for high performance hosting

1. 2 U rack case with advanced airflow

2. Quad Soket Motherboad (4 CPU's) With Direct Connect Architecture

3. AMD Opteron Dual Core Processors ( 8 cores total)

4. 100 MBPS Linkup with BGP4 routing protocol

5. cPanel, Plesk, Helm, Direct Admin, Virtuozzo (Virtuozzo for virtual control ONLY)

6. Linux Redhat and Windows Server 2003 R2

7. Apache webserver

8. 250GB SATA HDD + RAID 10 Disc Array

9. 24GB RAM

10. DVD RW Drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building the server

Well If you know how to build a computer alredy you will be done in no time. If not so sure consult the instruction manual that came with your motherboard.

Installing the opperating system

Insert the disc into the CD / DVD ROM drive and boot to the disc (if using RAID and you are installing Windows when the disc is loading drivers watch the bottom of the screen and when you see the message "Press F5 to install a 3rd party RAID or SATA Controler" press F5 and follow the instructions. If you are using Linux most distro's will set up SATA / Raid automatically whilst installing the opperating system.

Installing Apache webserver or IIS webserver

You can download apache for Windows or Linux here: http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi If using windows read the Important messages which to save you time can be found here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you are on Windows and dont want to use Apache you can use IIS Webserver which can be found in Add or Remove Windows components just follow the install instructions.

Control Panel

to install your control panel just follow the instructions in the README and you should get on fine.

Thats it really anyother software you want to download and install like PHP or MySQL just googl it and you will find the link to download it. Install instructions are usually supplied. Also you may want to have a tweak with the settings on the server to get the best performace out of it. Or if you dont want to buy all the hardware and set it all up yourself you can alaways buy a ready made on like a Dell poweredge which is usually set up for web services.

Hope this helped.

One thing you should take into account is to start your own web hosting business you need alot of money. All of that hardware and software costs thousands and thousands of dollars. If you want to host your own business. You can jsut get a reseller plan from place like Computerhosting.

Yes its much cheaper to actiually buy a dedicated server than make one yourself. Well i say good luck to you as many people have tried and faild starting there own hosting company from home.