xisto Community
dontmaimyourself

Ps3, Anyone Still Getting One.

Up until yesterday I was eventually going to get a PS3, but then Sony announced the new launch plans; the new numbers, in case you don't know, are US: 400,000, Japan: 100,000, Europe: 0. That's right no Euro PS3's until March 2007 almost a year after the original May '06 launch date (whose slip caused 0 surprise). The delays not the thing that got me what got me was the constant lying about it, and the fact that Sony always, always screw Europe over (well that and the very public mocking of Microsoft's worldwide Xbox 360 launch). I guess the big reason this got to me over the other times Europe has been screwed would be the cause, yeah that's right the bloody Blu-Ray drive. Sony just can't make enough blue laser diodes (despite having commandeered all other manufactured Blue lasers for the drives).It would appear that Sony simply do not want to win the next round, what which the price point the arrogance ('next gen doesn't start until we say so' & and 'the PS3 is too cheap' are my favourites, but '4D gaming' deserves an honourable mention) and the constant lying even Metal Gear Solid 4 isn't enough for me to want a PS3 any more. The main problem for Sony is that essentially there entire company rests on the success of Blu-Ray (and we all know Sony's great record with proprietary formats, with such classics as Betamax, Minidisc and UMD) which in turn rests on the success of PS3.Don't get me wrong I don't hate Sony I still love my PSP and expect to see more when the upcoming AAA games hit, and hopefully studios realise that if the price is right people will buy UMD movies. But where next gen is confirmed I am now 99% certain I will never own a PS3 (something special will have to happen to change my mind something like that Killzone footage was real after all, or they chuck a free HDTV in with the PS3, neither of which will happen) and I look forward to getting a Wii for christmas and then getting a 360 and enjoying Red Steel and Halo.My question is simple, does anyone care about Sony any more?

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

I don't care for the reported $500.00 US price tag. I just don't need to play games that much. I will not be one of the first to run out and get one of these babies. I will most likely wait until the first price drop which is usually 2 years after initial release. By that time, I might have my HDTV to take advantage of the HD graphics. If the PS3 can replace my DVD player and play SVCD & DIVX discs then I might be tempted to buy sooner.Some of the good things are built in bluetooth, wireless controllers, multiple removable storage options, hard drive and HD resolution graphics. All in all, I am usually a second gen buyer. I don't buy the latest CPU or graphics card. Also with only 400k units slated for the US, I doubt I could get my hands on one anyway. At least I would have a slight chance versus my brothers in the big U.Later.

I really wanna get one. But i think i will wait for the first price drop. I would get a 360 but i have had problems with them before and i find sony more relaible. So really i'd rather buy from them. But in the begin i guess it's common for the systesms to have problems.

I think sony are being very un professional, this is pathetic, they really need more organisation and need to start giving a $?%" about their customers, they lie cheat and are generaly up their own a$$es in my opinion. I used to be a sony fan and hate microsoft in the last generation of consoles, but now i have my xbox 360 and a year ago was awaiting the launch of the ps3 (whata dream) but since then i have been having the view i put forward more and more strongly.

Yeah, first they are way late from their competition's release (xbox was relead last december) and now they delay it once again in europe. even though i live in u.s. also the price will more than if you combine xbox and wii.

also the price will more than if you combine xbox and wii.

How do you know that the price will be more for a Playstation 3 if you combine the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii's prices together? They haven't released the prices yet for the Wii, and even though the Xbox 360 is at $300 and $400, I bet the Wii will be at least $250, if not $300. Either way, if you combined both prices, they cost more than the Playstation 3 (20GB harddrive version.) And nobody can rip on Sony for releasing the Playstation 3 later. The Wii isn't out yet either and Microsoft screwed themselves trying to release their console first because of numerous problems with the first batch, in which case whoever released what first won't matter because the Playstation 3 will sell just as many as the Xbox 360 will.

After hearing the price is going to be 459 and 659 i dont this so. I have no idea why they would be charging so much. You think they would want to make it cheaper than the 360 or about the same price. Not over $100 dollars more. I think that was a real bad move by Sony.

I thnk I know why the Playstation 3 is coming out in the US compared to Europe. What sony is planning is to install a special chip that will allow a nationwide hook up. This hookup combines all of the computing capacity for thousands of machines. This is important becuase they are using it to map proteins like alzheimers and mad cow disease. Hopefully this will help a lot of people in the future. This pertains to game consoles and if does not fit in this section please tell me.

I would really like to bnuy mysekf a Sony PS3, but I think I'm a bit grown up for that. But there's a child in all of us, and one day when I have children I willl definately buy a Sony PS3.. No matter what the cost is, I'll buy it.. Like I said, there's a child in all of us, especially me hehe... :)

sure I'll get one. I'll wait until its around the ?150 mark ($280ish) before I buy. I'm glad to hear that sony are still keeping the PS2 updated with enw games for a year after the PS3 comes out, most companies just ditch their older models.

I will get one, but I will probably wait a while, or order one in from somewhere else in europe (when they arrive) to get the price down a bit. I am a bit of a Sony freak though, I have a Vaio, Minidisc, and most of my household equiptment is Sony. I like it cause it looks really nice and is really reliable (to me at least)

Nah, I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon. If ever. There's not been enough intresting PlayStation games to make me want anything PlayStation anymore. Also, the PS3 is WAAAAY overpriced, and I don't have ?300 of extra money to fork out.Beside these problems, however, I'm not at all impressed at the PS3. Sure, it's got better graphics, but so did the XBox 360, and the first few games on that absolutely sucked. Besides, graphics do not make a game, they only enhance it. And sure, it's got Bluetooth, wireless, and a Hard Drive like the XBox, but (apart from the last one), do we really NEED these things?Finally, although I like that the PS3 looks like a George Foreman (admit it, you've all laughed at that too!), it's too big for me.To be honest, PS3 is just Sony's way of taking the PS2, giving it better graphics (like it needed them!) and a hard drive, then adding all sorts of fancy crap, and charging twice as much for it. And I'm not buying it.

Simple answer: no.Why? I guess I', just getting old now as I find spending that much money on a game system, not to mention the games, doesn't interest me anymore. Now with the Mactels out, I just bought a Mac Pro and dual loaded XP Pro on it so I could play a couple games and then use the Mac side of the house for work (Final Cut Pro, Lightwave 3D). The only game I'm playing these days is Falcon 4.0 Allied Assault or whatever it's called. Basically Falcon 4.0 (released in 1998) updated with all the bugs taken out and improved graphics. Now that the dyanmic campaign simulator works in really simulating a war where your actions have an impact, it's a fun game. Takes hours and hours and hours to master as it's a Flight SIMULATOR (one that meets all the USAF training requirements) not a flight GAME. But it's a blast to play since I'll never spend one minute inside the cockpit of a real F-16. Frankly, no body is producing games that keep my interest. After Ubi Soft screwed up the Ghost Recon series from a tactical sim to an shoot-em-up (especially on the consoles) I'm stuck with the classic Rainbow 6 series of games.Even with my PS2 I started to wait for games to hit the $20 bargin bin before buying them. The last 2 games I've bought have been Lego Star wars I and Starwars Battlefront II. Interesting and fun games to play, especially with friends, and I might shove out the money for a new hockey game this year (my last one is 2003 so a little dated). I guess as someone in their later 20's, I'm finding other cool things to spend $600 on other than video games.

I had originally planned on getting the Wii, but then I started to like PS3 and the games it had, etc. With a price tag like that, versus a price tag like $250 for the Wii, i have already decided to go back to my original choice. I guess Sony just expects that they can put some huge price on it and the loyal customers will still go ahead and buy it. I know a few people who were going to get the PS3 because they had PS2 before, but now they all want a Wii or 360. From what I've seen it isnt so much different from the other systems that I would pay that much extra money for it.