xisto Community
Albus Dumbledore

My Poor Laptop

I dont know if this is a vent, or it its somthing to get off of my mind right now because i feel like blowing up.Ok, this is how much of a nerd i am....as many of you know, i have a laptop... ok and a desktop (which is what im on now), and just a couple of minutes ago, i couldn't get the internet to work on my laptop, so i set it off to the side, turned it off too let it cool off, ok i had a post i had typed up when the internet crashed, so i saved it into s TXT file, i went to get back on the laptop, i opened the screen up and the hinge on the right hand side of the monitor (some kind of metal) BROKE!! do not ask me how, but it broke and so now the left one could break, and i would be able to take the whole screen off.. i am sitting here about ready to cry (that is how much of a nerd i am) that i am going to cry over a broken laptop..and well, i dont know if the part that is broken is replacable, or if the laptop is just screwed for life -sighs- that didn't feel as good as what i thought it would.i am starting to cheer up a little bit because now i am looking at the hinge, and it looks like the screw broke off and it is stuck inside of the hinge... but in the same respects, the hinge broke too because i can see the rough edges of broken metal... so since the screw is stuck inside of it, i dont know if i can just attempt to take the screw out, align the hinge again, and put a screw through it... or what -sighs-jsut to clarify:i said about to cry, and its not over the laptop really, its over how harshly my parents are going to yell at me (possible grounding..) for breaking it....

Edited by Albus Dumbledore (see edit history)

hey, i said about to cry, and its not over the laptop really, its over how harshly my parents are going to yell at me (possible grounding..) for breaking it....

If it's just a brocken hinge, then it's fixable. Now get off your **bottom** and fix it!

i did, ive been looking at it for a while now and ive been looking online for replacement parts, and i think what i need to buy is the correct Hinge Kit for my laptop.... if not that, theni dont really know, i could hopefully give it to my mom and she can take it to work and ask the tech at her work to find the part i need to replace.. :D

and its not fixable when the area where the screw goes in broke in half.....so i can actuall see the threads in the metal from top to bottom... thats not that easily replacable offf the top of the workbench

can't it be fixed by some sort of superglue? oh well, just a suggestion.

Hey albus i cry over spilled milk before...wait no i haven't :DAlbus the answer is obvious and although I'm heartbroken that no one mentioned it.Contact the maker of the computer company and explain the situation to them and most likly they will recommend to either send the computer to get repair or tell you what steps you need to take to repair.That is the smart thing to do.

Yea, I'm sure that you aren't the first person that it's happened to, so if you did contact the manufacturer of the laptop, or a local laptop repairs person, they could probably instruct you on the best path to take to fixing it.Hopefully your parents will understand that it wasn't really your fault that it broke. Perhaps you can search online to see if you can find other people with that same problem. When I "broke" my camera, I was crying and freaking out, because I'd had it for less than a year, and I had assumed that it must have been something that I did to break it.But when I searched online, I found an entire site, with over 250 people with my camera that had the exact same problem. So it turned out that it was a manufacturing defect, and something that was just waiting to happen. Once my dad heard that, he wasn't really mad with me, but more mad with the Nikon, since he thought they were supposed to be the best.Anyway, if you do happen to find a place that shows that other people had that problem too, they might also say what they had to do to fix it. And the kind of price tag that comes along with. I heard horror stories about my "error" the camera was giving me. Apparently a $300 job to fix, but the camera only cost about $350 in the first place. It was under warrenty luckily, so I sent it in to Nikon, and hopefully I will get a working one back with no charge.Anyway, just something to think about... oh, and check to see if your laptop has a warrenty... because if it does, you might be able to get the repairs paid for by the manufacturer since it wasn't you mistreating the laptop that made it break.

the warenty is up unfortunatly :D otherwise they would send the part(s) via mail, then the tech would come to my house and replace it for me.... im curious if i could extend the warentee and if they would still come out and fix it... hmm doubtfulthanx for your suggestions, i think i might contact dell and see if they would replace the part anyways, and also search online :D

Take it down to your local computer shop and ask what they can do for you. Just tell your parents that your going for a walk. They may be able to fix it pretty quick but if they cant, you know.

I would get mad also if that happened to me, I still dont get how it happened. Was the lid closed and did you suddenly pull it up rapidly? I have now Idea on how that would happen, I think you should stop by at http://www.notebookreview.com/ and post in their forums. There are lots of people who know a lot of things about laptops their, almost all the notebook brands are listed in their forums. Good luck!

well, as i thought my dad was pissed... just like i figured he would bei told him about it and he said "Oh it finally fell off your bed and broke huh?" because i have a board that i put the laptop on, and the edge of the board hangs off my bed like 4 inches.. and a corner of it is supported by my nightstand....well, naturly i said no thats no what happened. he said sure.. ARGHH so im trying to calm down right now because my own dad doesn't have trust in me to tell him what happened... which was i opened it and it broke. just so agrivating... my mom laughed about it and he gets all pissed off, unbelivable!!anyways, i talked with dell supprt and they told me i could call and order a new one, but it would be plastic... im like OMG, why would you ship me a plastic one when the metal one i have now broke.... so anywho...