xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
heavensounds

Wireless Lan Cards And Windows

I was not sure if I have to put this topic in software or hardware section...well it ended up in the software one:)Well...a neat feature of Windows XP is that it notices when you insert a wireless LAN (WLAN) card for the first time, and prompts you to remind you that out of the box, it's insecure and you should set a key pair between the card and the access point... Bear in mind, though, that XP is the first Windows incarnation to do this - if you're a Windows 98/2000 wallah, you won't be prompted...So make sure you turn the security options on, regardless of whether you're running a version of Windows that will prompt you!Greetz

I was not sure if I have to put this topic in software or hardware section...well it ended up in the software one:)
Well...a neat feature of Windows XP is that it notices when you insert a wireless LAN (WLAN) card for the first time, and prompts you to remind you that out of the box, it's insecure and you should set a key pair between the card and the access point... Bear in mind, though, that XP is the first Windows incarnation to do this - if you're a Windows 98/2000 wallah, you won't be prompted...

So make sure you turn the security options on, regardless of whether you're running a version of Windows that will prompt you!

Greetz

Scrap the windows utility and use the manufacturer's software. For e.g. if you are using intel wireless adapter, use their software. You mean in windows 2000, you are just able to connect any network without a passkey?