xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Madkat-Z

Taking Care Of A House

Ok, this is kind of a recent issue I am having. A friend of mine just moved to Alabama and left there house in the care of her older brother until it got sold. This was because her family was hoping to save money on paying for his rent. However, both my friend and I told her parents that it may not be such a good idea because we know what it was like when he left the house in his care the last time. The only reason the house wasn't mess when they got back was because my friend had to clean it up.So they went off to Alabama and haven't even been living down there for a month and they get a call from a person who they hired to keep an eye on her brother and to do some basic cleaning (That is sinks, toilets, showers, counters and some vacuming when needed), the rest of the cleaning was up to her brother. She calls saying that the house was a mess, with beer cans, plastic cups, and clothes everywhere that haven't been picked up for weeks. When she got there to clean there where four strange men there, the lanudry door was broken with a huge dent in it and looked like it had been broken into (keep in mind this was a metal door and the door leading to the garage). The pool pump is broken and the water is green. To top this all off, they lost a potental buyer because of all this and she said that if there are any more strange men there the next time she goes down to clean she quitting. I don't know if he did any more damage to the house, but for some reason I'm getting the feeling thats not the end of the story. :D Ok, first off, isn't it common sence that if your going to sell a house to take care of it? My friends parents specifically told him to keep the house clean and not to destory everything. For pete sakes, you think that for a person who is over 22 years old would know better then that. Second, obviously if your going to hold a party, CLEAN IT UP!!! Sheesh, just because your in college, doesn't mean you forget everything your mother had taught you. Especailly if its not your house to begin with and your trying to sell it. Third, how in the world do you go and break a metal door? There must of been so force put on that door to put a dent in it. Another thing, how do you go and break a pool pump? It was in perfect working order when they left and if it did break because of faulty parts why didn't he call to let his parents know tht happend. Come to think about it, why did he call his parnets about any of this? Ok, this has rather ticked me off and if anyone has any suggestions for my friend what they should do about this problem or comments about this problem, please feel free to post them. Also please excuse any spelling or grammer errors.

Edited by Madkat-Z (see edit history)

Wow how horrible! You would think someone that is 22 could do stuff like that. Give him a good ring, if that doesnt work make a complaint to the police that they're disturbing you. For all you know those 4 guys could be criminals? And if theyre not they'll still get a talking to and MAY be encouraged to clean up the house. Id give him a ring but i wouldnt go as far as to actually go over there... Good luck.

his parents should have been the one instilling discipline for this dude. :D i'd say this is typical for a college guy living on his own, but i'd be doing a disservice to all other college guys who are responsible enough not to be doing the things he has done so far. i can't begin to imagine how to knock some sense into this guy. :Dif your friend and her family is serious on selling the house, it would be easier to simply rent a place for the brother and refurbish the house so they can finally sell it in prim condition. it would have been cheaper anyway in the long run if they had rented a place for him in the the first place, considering it is not the first time basing on your story that such an incident of him "housesitting" which turned "ugly". and maybe having a realtor take care of the house for sale should be easier too. but first, boot out the dude off the house. :Dalso, cutting back on his allowance or some privileges (like car, if he has one under his care) may do him some good. :D ought to teach him to be responsible for a change.

also, cutting back on his allowance or some privileges (like car, if he has one under his care) may do him some good. :D ought to teach him to be responsible for a change.

Indeed. Seriously though, if he'd already done it once, you'd expect his parents wouldn't let him do it again. I'm suprised that they did. If anything, they should kick him out and make HIM pay the rent he could/would have otherwised saved from staying at the house.

It's one thing to be going to college, but that really does sound rather extreme. You have to wonder how he'd do by himself. In terms of damage though, a lot of things can happen when there's a group of people, a party, and alcohol. I don't find it particuarly unusual that a lot of things were broken. It tends to happen a lot when parties get out of hand (which they obviously would, if this guy can barely look after himself).

I truly and honestly would never trust anybody with being in my house, especially if I'm not home. I might just be paranoid or not trust people, but in the rare occasions that I do so, I count everything to make sure everything's check, in order, and that nothing's swiped, pilfered, or ruined.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he should be sent threw the ringer. See I don't think the police would get involved, but I do know he will be held responsible for the damages. Even if he says "Oh, it just went out. Must of been a faulty part.". If it was a faulty part, then why didn't he call about it. I haven't heard anything else from my friend about the issue, but I may hear more about it when they come back on the 9th to visit. They can't cut his allowance because hes too old for that, but I do think at the least they should at least kick him out of the house and make him pay for the damages. A personal opinion, I would also not pay for his rent, since well if he can't take care of a house when I'm the one paying for it, maybe he would be more likely to take care of a house if hes the one paying for it. Last time I heard he didn't have a job either, but that was a few months ago. :D