xisto Community
ProtoMan

Transferring One Forum Data To Another Forum How To Do This ? Another forum help.

I want to creat another Forum and delete the old one with the same Domain. But is there any way to transfer all the topics in the old one to the new one with proper sorting , date created , ..... ? Do I have to creat another MySQL Data base , Uername , ..... ? Please help me. Thank you.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title modified. Please use complete sentences.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Please use clear and complete sentences so that members do not have to struggle to understand your task.To migrate from one forum database and all its posts to another forum script, first you must find out if the new forum script offeres some kind of automatic transfer or conversion gadget. If a conversion gadget/script is not available, you must perform the writing of new data in manually. For example, your forum has prefix of SMF_ and variables like UserName, you must replace SMF_UserName with your new forum's prefix NewForum_UserName.This is neither the task for beginning web hosting members nor members unfamiliar with manual database manage. Seek to find the database convertor by your intended new forum script. That would be your best bet.

Maybe I don't fully understand, but here's my advice.If I think I know what you're asking, this should be very easy for you to do. If you are using the same kind of forum, say SMF, back up your database in cpanel. Once you backup your database simply delete the forum and everything under it. Then create the new forum, upload the database, and you should be good to go.Everything can be done in cpanel you seem to be a new member and might be a newbie at things but take your time and look around.

If your switching from one SMF to another SMF (it doesnt really matter what software your using) You can download the back up. Then when you switch to your new one restore it.

Maybe I don't fully understand, but here's my advice.

If I think I know what you're asking, this should be very easy for you to do.

If you are using the same kind of forum, say SMF, back up your database in cpanel. Once you backup your database simply delete the forum and everything under it. Then create the new forum, upload the database, and you should be good to go.

Everything can be done in cpanel you seem to be a new member and might be a newbie at things but take your time and look around.

Sorry , but can you tell me where and how can I back up the files ? If I delete the old one after back up then install the new one , I think all the post will be deleted because I will run the new one or the posts will be there but in the back up then how to make it work ? Thank you

Log onto cpanel. On the home page of cpanel browse to find the backup image and link. Once you click that you'll be directed to where you can select the database you want to backup. It takes three or four clicks once you get into cpanel. Look around I think it's under site management in cpanel. Once you backup the database you can delete it off of your files and restore it once you create the new forum.

Its better that you make another test forum then make some post, backup them and do some trial runs before you delete the forum... Else if you make one mistake its going to cost you your entire forum... And what forum software are you using? Different forum software has different ways of transferring of data between forum, and you can check out if any method is provided by the forum support...

Thanks for all the tips you guys gave me , I will try it out. Anyway , I am using Simple Machines Forum , what do you think about this : Should I try back up the database then creat another forum so that all the topics will be there OR just delete the old forum then announce all members about the problem that the old forum was deleted ? What do you think ? Thank you.