xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jayron

Interrupt For Windows

Unlike DOS, which works under Real mode of processor, Windows works under protected mode of the processor. In protected mode the registers are 32-bit long and are often known as extended registers For example, corresponding to the AX, BX, CX, DX, IP registers of real mode, there exist 32-bit registers called EAX, EBX, ECX, EDX and EIP under protectedAlso under protected mode interrupt handling is a little different. The interrupt vector table is no longer kept at a low address space. Instead it is replaced by another table Interrupt Descriptor Table (IDT) which is kept anywhere in physical memory. A dedicated register called IDTR holds the address of the IDT. While booting Windows constructs the table in available physical memory and stores its address in the IDTR register via a special instruction called SIDT (Store IDT). Windows fills the IDT with addresses of various kernel routines.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, Ring 3 applications(which is what all user-designed programs that run in Windows are, unless they are a device driver or VxD) can't even use the interrupts in Windows.