xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rvalkass

Chemistry Essay I need a few ideas

I'm probably missing something really obvious here but I need some ideas for an essay I have been set as my first task on my A Level course. I was set this by my new chemistry teacher, and personally I think it's a bit heavy for our first task, but I don't really have a choice.

Write an essay (with illustrations if appropriate) describing the impact which the study of Chemistry has made on human civilization. Include a range of specific examples taken from both historical and modern times.

I have to write between 1,500 and 2,000 words, and so far I have around 800. I've written about alchemy, quicklime and combustion, leather making, the discovery of elements, oil and plastics and medicine. I'm really stuck for ideas and Wikipedia is running out fast <_<

So, has anyone got any more shaping moments for civilization caused by chemistry?

I think it's a bit heavy for our first task, but I don't really have a choice.

I don't think so, because this task will give you an idea of the histroy and present scenario of Chemistry. You will understand it's different use from peaceful and productive purpose to war and mass destruction. I would like to give you one point as stated below:

In modern times section you can write about different chemical weapons used nowadays and there impact on our lifes.

The reason Iraq was attacked, was the suspicion that they have chemical weapons of mass destruction. So, I think this point can be added.

What is your last date of submission?
When you complete your essay and if it is in digital form then do send it to me.
Edited by bhavesh (see edit history)

I'm probably missing something really obvious here but I need some ideas for an essay I have been set as my first task on my A Level course. I was set this by my new chemistry teacher, and personally I think it's a bit heavy for our first task, but I don't really have a choice.I have to write between 1,500 and 2,000 words, and so far I have around 800. I've written about alchemy, quicklime and combustion, leather making, the discovery of elements, oil and plastics and medicine. I'm really stuck for ideas and Wikipedia is running out fast :D

So, has anyone got any more shaping moments for civilization caused by chemistry?

What I would do is just eloborate on the topics you already have. For example, the production of plastics also created latex. Latex is what makes the majority of condoms. You can talk about what condoms have done for us, like STD prevention and preventing unwanted pregnancies. Have you covered diseases when you talked about medicine? Chemistry also gave your teacher a job :D, although I'm not sure whether or not that changed the course of the history of chemistry.

OK, thanks for your ideas, I'll put thm into my essay. And I'll send you a copy, bhavesh, as soon as it's done. It has to be submitted on the 6th or 7th of September.

Chemistry is such a terible subject since noone has ever seen the atom! I like learning about this stuff in my free time but not under pressure. Tell your professor/teacher how lame chemistry is :)

I really doubt that he'll get a decent grade by telling his teacher how lame chemistry is...You could talk about the discovery of DNA or of the creation of the atom bomb during WWII.

agent orangeI am a chemistry and spanish major So i have tons of ideas. ok first

The Haber process was made suring WW1 in germany. It allows the creation of synthetic nitrogen containing fertilizers and accidently it was discovered that it is used as an an explosive. Due to safty issues and security issues i will not explain these properties. Find the general information go here haber process

Here is another link. This is the a link for combining hydrogen and oxygen. This is used in the new cars that emit only water. water and oxygen

Catalytic converters in cars allow the reduction of a lot of greenhouse gases and other nitrogen dioxide. It is a great invention it reduces a lot of pollution. catalytic converter

Acid rain is another problem with pollution. It started with the heavy industrialization of the US here are the basic reactions that cause acid rain acid rain

Batteries are probably the coolest. Here is a site for that batteries All of the electronic today would nto work without batteries and there are certain reactions which make batteries better and more expensive like lithium versus cadmium

Also look at agent orange which is an herbacide that could cause cancer. it was used in vietnam.