xisto Community
jedidog

Movie Special Effects evolution of special effects vs. quality filming

With the deluge of superhero movies and the evolution of special effects in movies, where does the unbelievable become the believable? It appears from recent movies such as x-men 3 that we can now make actors younger! Something actors have long strived for, but ultimately will this lead to them becoming redundant as the CGI takes over. Perhaps by 'scanning' in an actor's features, etc it will not be necessary to hire them. The problem is that as special effects have increased in complexity, the viewer has become more critical of the quality. What was excepeted as "Wow' 5 years ago is now seen as average.Although it is not to say that we should as the paying viewer accept low quality special effects (especially when billed as excellent, case point; king kong).

I like better special affects but nothing can replace actual actors. Without them, the movies most likely wouldn't be as good. And we can't completely make animated stuff 100% realistic quite yet. We can get close but I can almost clear as day notice the difference between animation and the real thing.

I think the overuse of CGI is killing the movies.

The covenant. It has obvious CGI. People keep dissing it just because of the CGI. But I always say it's the story that counts, not the CGI.

CGI now-a-days is quite common in movies. I think that they should lay down on some of the CGI and make room for real effects.

The overuse of cgi is not killing movies. The movies that are not doing well are those movies that are using cgi for effects that cgi is not ready to handle. An example of this was some of the cgi in the Matrix 2. Many of the fight scenes, you could tell that they were cgi because the jacket color changed slitely. Now that its been a few more years, those scene would not be as noticiable because they would interact flawlessly. Now the limits of cgi are being pushed much farther. If a company was willing to spend plenty more on cgi they would easily be able do those effects correctly but many try to save money on it.

The overuse of cgi is not killing movies.

Can you honestly say that a movie that uses no stunt doubles, no 'real' acting, or even real effects is going to be a box office hit?

If it is, then the actors in it should be ashamed, they wouldn't even be part of the movie. About 2 scenes, then let the CGI play for them?

Edited by 3-me (see edit history)

o man... i was watching the origional japanesse godzilla movie the other day and i was laughing at how funny it was how lame the cgi and stuff... man it was halariouseveything moving in robotic motions instead of fluid like movements...anyways as computer and the programs for computers get more and more powerfull the out puts they have are just awsome you can pretty much imitate REAL life effects in a movie now that your couldnt do before because the scene was too dangerous or something...

i dont really know too much about Movie Special Effects but all i got to know is now in days, when people are making movies the special effects finally look real. its funny when i look back on some old movies and i remember saying to myself man this movie is COOL.. but then as i watch it now its freaking STUPID and i laugh to it and imagine what i said about the movie back then. but im really glad i live in a updated generation, i coudnt imagine what would i do if didnt have xbox live a computer or internet lolz.

Umm...if I do recall correctly, my first post was on this topic. However its pretty much dead now, but the link is here if anyone wants to take a look at it.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/37700-modern-day-movies-what-happen-to-the-good-old-days/

However I do agree with you there comes a time and place where CGI is too over board and you should use older film tricks. Too much CGI can ruin a movie instead of helping it. Some of older film tricks I've seen are even better then the CGI is.

I really think the specail effects can sometimes determine a great movie from a good movie. Movies like Star wars which have these great special effects really get everyone's attention. So everyone wants to go see it. The Actors also really count when people are deciding which movie there gonna see.

Special effects sure are the 21th century one of the popularest things because only 20% films are without them and if there wasnt special effects then there wont be such things as video games or other things.. but few years movies didn't had any effects they were grayscale like pictures or photos.. But if there is needed voting then I dont know because my favorite movie is "The Saw" and there aint lots of special effects ionly real people in tragic situation.. but anyway special effects rocks the house :):P