xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
3-me

Booting Problem

The boot/reboot sequence is an easy step, no?

Your computer starts up, does a quick memory check, about 4 seconds, then starts up to Windows XP/98/95[hopefully not]/Mac/Linux.

Me, I have a problem. After it does a quick system scan, it does a long scan that I cannot skip.

I can't really explain it, or show pictures/screenshots. But it's sort of a scan that 98 used to do, when Windows wasn't shut down properly. Where it scans and it's got white bars.

Mine is similar to that, except you cannot skip it, it's black background, and it takes about 2X more time.

I'll try and get a screenshot soon..

You mean like scan disc used to do on 98. Not sure try to give more info and i might be able to help but im not too sure what you mean

When your computer gets past it, look in your "Start Up" folder and see if theres anything that shouldnt be there. If it's not that i recommend scanning for viruses, they may be stuffing up the start up sequence.

I recomend reformating your computer, for me that always seems to help or even fix the problem. If not then I strongly agree that this is the act of a virus. Thats why reformating will solve all the problems. If not then it could be some hardware issues and you might need to even upgrade your gear =(.

I have reformatted around 3 times already, it will not go away.

My hardware.. hmm.

It may not be the best, but it's doing me wonders.

I guess I could check that out. Maybe motherboard issues, hmm.

Adobe Gamma is something that comes with Photoshop and adjusts your monitor settings to make pictures and photographs appear more realistic and help colours on screen look like those that come out of the printer. It doesn't really do anything to the startup or boot. Now, that white bar, is it about half an inch off the bottom of the screen and also about half an inch high? No text on the screen? Looks like a volume bar off a TV, lots of thin vertical white bars being covered by a solid white block? If so, thats a BIOS antivirus program. I enabled it on my old PC a while ago, and it increased the boot by a couple of seconds. What it does is check the BIOS, boot sectors and other important files for errors, before attempting to load the OS. If you can bear the extra 2 or 3 seconds, I'd leave it there, just for protection and early warning of problems. If it's really annoying, load up the BIOS and have a look through for an antivirus or scan, normally under the Advanced menu and just disable it. One of the most common is Trend's ChipAway, but there are plenty of others out there for different BIOSs.

You also rewrite your master boot record (MBR) maybe you got an virus in it.The only way to rewrite it is using 'fdisk /mbr' from a command prompt.I got it once the MBR was infected with an old virus, and afterwards it wat no possible to install a more recent windows version. The virus let the computer hang.Normaly rewriting your mbr doesn't harm anything unless your have a dual boot with linux or a another bootmanager installed.

Let me ask, the scan is totally BEFORE the OS loading or during OS loading?If it is before OS loading then may be you think about the BIOS option or FORMATTING option.But if it is the OS loading, check the startup list.You can run MSCONFIG and see the startup list

The Har Disk Drives are the only kind of hardware needed for a PC that works mechanically, so this means when there is a problem with them and wont be able to fix it by formatting, the hard disk has been broke.This may be a sector problem, those cannot be fixed if it is broken but you can disable that sector and format windows again. It can be the cause of the problem.

Guys, it's a scandisk. I'm sure of it, when you just shut off windows ME, it reboots to a scandisk, it's the same thing. I'm just not sure why it's booting that..... I doubt it's a Virus, cause scandisks don't hurt anything. It very likely could be a BIOS setting, though, and getting to your BIOS is different from each computer. (Search for "getting to BIOS" in Google then find your PC brand.)Then check the settings to see if there's anything about it.Hope it works 3-me, ma nub. <3