xisto Community
beeseven

Is It Possible To Access The Mysql Remotely?

I like to experiment with a lot of things and I was thinking of making a sort of instant messenger in Python, but I want to let people have actual accounts so I need to be able to access the mySQL remotely. If that's not possible, are we allowed to run Python scripts on the server?

Yes you can access SQL remotely but this is not recommended.When you code please check and double check so that it does not abuse SQL connection tries. Otherwise it will crash or shut down SQL server.As far as Python script goes, OpaQue has not said no to that. However the first sign of abuse or unstable the server admin will disallow your further usage and perhaps lead to account termination. So please make sure that you are not leaving any open "holes." Thank you.

BuffaloHELP, tell me something please, can i use the following program to remotly connect to my Xisto free hosting mysql server?MySQL-Front

The mysql, I'm assuming is at mysql.trap17.com? And how would I run the script?

The MySQL server can be accessed from your site's address. Example: My domain is nyceducated.info, so the server address I would use to access it would be nyceducated.info. Alternatively, you could use gamma.xisto.com.
either way, remember to allow remote access to the MySQL server from your IP address in cPanel: Log in to cPanel, go to the MySQL Databases page, and scroll all the way down to the bottom, where you see the Access Hosts section. Type in either your IP address (if it's static; which I bet it isn't), or just '%', which acts as a wildcard. (See the attachment below for reference.)
But as BuffaloHELP mentioned above, it is perfered that you only access MySQL locally, for performance and security purposes.

Thanks, that was really helpful. I'd still like to know how to run a script, though.

Edit: It doesn't seem to want to let me in. I'm trying to connect in Python using this:

conn = _mysql.connection(host='beeseven.trap17.com', user='beeseven', passwd='********', db='beeseven_forumz')
But I'm getting this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<pyshell#8>", line 1, in -toplevel-

conn = _mysql.connection(host='beeseven.trap17.com', user='beeseven', passwd='*******', db='beeseven_forumz')

OperationalError: (1045, "Access denied for user: 'beeseven@ip68-100-***-***.dc.dc.cox.net' (Using password: YES)")

Edited by beeseven (see edit history)

I'm all about sharing solutions to problems, so I'll say that I figured out you can run a script using PHP's "system" command like so:

<?phpsystem("test.py");?>
and that will also print out all the output of the script.

BuffaloHELP, tell me something please, can i use the following program to remotly connect to my Xisto free hosting mysql server?
MySQL-Front

Yes, Configure your IP address in MYSQL section in CPanel.

Dear beeseven its not secure connect to one open mysql for share your database you must ping your script ip for example ( new hosting or script hosting ) and take an ip address then go to cpanel / mysql part and at bottom of page you can find one text "localhost" submit your ip address in textboxbottom of "localhost" text thanks

ok! I read this thread a few times and tried to use the mysql remotely. I set the ip of the other server who wants to use the mysql in Cpanel, I also change db host in script to my domain. but what I got is still negative. it says "Error establishing a database connection " .can anyone help me to address that? I just want some sites share the same database. my site is a personal blog site. so I think it's secure enough not to abuse the trap 17 sever. if it's not appropriate to do that! then just forget about it.thanks

cw123,We can help you correcting some of your errors but first you have to be a hosting member of Xisto. Other hosting providers, if you are with another hosting provider, may not be inclined to offer SQL remote connection.Are you hosted with another Xisto - Web Hosting service? If so, please refer your question to proper section.Thank you.