xisto Community
Dawiss

Smilies At Forum do you use smilies

Smilies at forum  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok I have mentioned only few people who uses smilies ( :P:D:):):)B)B):P:):D<_<:D:):) ).. My question is why you use smilies and why you use/don't use them?

I never use them really. dont know why i just dont. dont see the need for them. I think you can just get a point across with text. Not that i have anything against them or anything or people using them.

I do on occasions, but I certainly dont use them on everything I type. Some people really can go overboard with them. For instance on msn, when someone just posts <_< or something I immediately shut the window - how are you supposed to reply to that?Txt speak is a big pet hate of mine. It was 'invented' to make text messages on phones easier to write, & save character space. There is no reason why someone with a full qwerty keyboard has to use it. One of the Cambridge unis did a study on it a couple of years ago, & found using txt speak on proper keyboards not only takes longer to type, but on average 3 times longer to read. I've even encountered people that actually say 'lol', I mean in conversations in real life. Thats just plain idiotic.

Thats true and a studty ahs shown that youths that text in slang english actually spell things wrong because they get used to putting things like luv and tomoz aint it. I really dont like it at all. I for one always text the correct word unless i actually spell it wrong.lol

In my language there are very big such things like "vmr - vienmēr (always)" "tgd - tagad (now)" and then sometimes other people dont understand anything because each second word is like thous lol <_<..

I don't use loads of smilies, unlike my sister, who has downloaded thousands for IM programs and uses them at every available opportunity. In a serious conversation I don't really see why you need them, but sometimes when what I'm saying is a joke or a bit weird then I might use one smilie: <_< Other than that I don't really use them. I have nothing against them unless they are used excessively, or (as my sister has in MSN) are set to automatically replace characters, turning messages into those jumbled letters required for forum registrations!

I have to use them once in a while ever since a member told me my words (either over the Pm or post) seemed tough and stiff. Although I do not mean this to happen or appear that way, I guess the way I write my sentence looks "strict."He and I argued over my syntax. The words are only meaningful if you put your emotion into it, I said. But if the other person is not in a good mood any words given to that person may translate into "angry words/meanings."So once in a while I throw in smilies and winks not just for me, but to convey my true intension of my words--which is to guide and help; not to rule over. <_<

i can kind of see the logic in that. And i can also see what you mean about if sombody is in a bad mood they could take your words out of context. Not a bad idea using smilies for that. Here was me before saying i dont see the need for them too. Oh well i guess i have had my eyes opened.lol

I have to use them once in a while ever since a member told me my words (either over the Pm or post) seemed tough and stiff. Although I do not mean this to happen or appear that way, I guess the way I write my sentence looks "strict."
He and I argued over my syntax. The words are only meaningful if you put your emotion into it, I said. But if the other person is not in a good mood any words given to that person may translate into "angry words/meanings."

So once in a while I throw in smilies and winks not just for me, but to convey my true intension of my words--which is to guide and help; not to rule over. <_<

I apologise, I was a grumpy git that night :P

Only text and no smilies makes a post a dull one. :P Smilies are used to give life to your words. It gives the reader the first impression, it attracts. When I see a long post with no similes, then I mostly avoid reading that.One to two smilies per post is good, but excess of any thing spoils the taste and also when you want to scold <_< someone you cant use smilies.

I use them in the shoutbox a lot when I'm joking around or something. I don't really use them that much in posts because it isn't really necessary but if it's something that makes me happy or whatever I'll use them. They are a good tool to have there in case you do wanna show feelings or whatever.

most of the time i do use similies and some times i dont. but when i do i usually use them because im happy that day or i have a little joy in me, and when i dont, i dont usually use them or i just forget about them. :D

There have been a while since I last time checked out this topi.. and I think till this moment people using smilies are leading by 6 votes :D.. thats good because I think people who are using smilies are nice like a persons and aint thous angry ones :D.. and if such more people will be here the nicer forum at Xisto and more people will be happy to join here :D.. but this is only my opinion :D..