xisto Community
s2k6

Adware Still Resides In My Computer After Removal Tool

I have picked up 13,856 adware infections on my computer, and I got them from erm... Downloading photoshop off limewire. At first, I got pop-upss like mad. Then I uninstalled the adware with the tool they gave ne. I am still getting popups. I need help badly, what should I do.

I have picked up 13,856 adware infections on my computer

now thats ridiculous , i wonder how you will be able to even open your internet explorer or whatever browser you are using and do anything ? you said you removed the addware by using a software they gave you ,well if you got addware from them in the first place how can you trust them and download and install a software they gave ? it will be opening door to more dangerous malware like trojans , i got a really bad spyware sometime back and whenever i open internet explorer it will go a spyware removal site's home page ,it was a pretty strong one ,when i first tried to remove it by scanning no software i used but spybot detected it , but when i click remove and delete the programm stops responding and closes itself automatically , so i first tried task manager to identify the spyware but i found out that the task manager was disabled ! then i went to regitry editor ,to my utter shock it too was disabled ! , so i went to system configuration to see which programms are running at start up , i was fuming when i found out that i could not edit or delete anything , i could see the program right infront of my eyes running away happily under the sweet name COMMAND.exe and every now and then bringing an alert in the system tray saying windows have detected spyware and to remove it click here , wherther i click cancel or close or anywhere it will happily bring me to that site , i was so pissed off i donloaded firefox and started using it and was on the verge of completely removing internet explorer when i finally got rid of my good friend spyware , phew , i ahte internet explorer after that

<_< Well that goes to show you, don't download software from limewire! Anyway, this topic isn't about limewire and how I detest people who steal softwareThere are two formidable free program that I'd like for you to try. One is Spybot Search & Destroy and Hijackthis. You can search for it on line and it will come up as the first item.Run Spybot in regular windows mode, getting rid of most of annoying spy/ad ware. Then try running Spybot under windows safe mode. Make sure that your Spybot is updated with the latest definition file.Then run Hijackthis to catch deeply embedded sleeping adware/spyware. Follow Hijackthis instruction and post it on their forum. Someone will review and tell you which one(s) to remove further.Lastly, update your anti-virus and do a clean sweep.By the way... I don't think anyone should really trust the removal tools. Do you think that they guys who gave you a ad/spyware in the first place would be nice enough to provide you with nice and clean removal tool? I think not.

if you ever go to add/remove programs, you see they say Remove.that only means they'll remove some files, but keeps the ad files.NoAdware Personal works, deletes the spyware(NOT ALL...)My suggestions:1. don't do piracy. It will get you viruses.2. buy mcaffe/synnemtic software. using them instantly removes it!!!!3. if have win xp, try the system restore to reverse damage. 3a. After doing system restore, go to control panel, click system restore, and delete restore points. this will help make viruses/adware/spyware unrecoverable.....4. Use popup blockers. Popups lead to viruses. (popups redirect to download virus)

I had some similar problems after some of the other people who use this computer downloaded various things off of Kazaa.

Try Spybot S&D, and another one called Adaware to get as much off as you can. Often, things will just start up again as soon as you reconnect to the internet so clear out your temp files and cookies. You'll still probably have troubles, these things are so pesky. The best thing for you to do after that would be to submit your Hijack This! log to a forum that specializes in helping people out. It might take a couple of days for someone to get to you, but if you take a little time follow their instructions they can really help you. I went here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Following all of their suggestions helped to fix things on my computer that were annoying that I didn't realize were happening because of all of the malware. Good Luck!

Edited by brandice (see edit history)

You know i've done the same thing before, i've downloaded smilley centeral and what do i get nothing but popups thats why i never trust these free softwre things all the do is mess up your pc so if i was you i wouldn't download anything like that again. As for removing it i don't think you can, you might have to do a data wipe. well i fell sorry for you but as a say never trust something thats free!

Do all thats been said and dont use IE anyway! I had this problem, the adware infected IE so i just deleted it and now use firefox and it hasnt happened again.Also if the above doesnt completely work download a program called "avast antivirus" its very good and free if you download the home/personal use version. once installed start an "on boot scan" so that the system is scanned before the adware gets a chance to do anything about it. Some adware can happilly live in you RAM memory while the system is running so doing this makes sure that the adware isnt in RAM and gets deleted. NOTE: if ANY file is brough up by the A/V program saying it is a system file do not delete it, if you really have to remove it quarantine it. Liklihood is that if a system file is infected it will need replacing otherwise windows will not work properly.