xisto Community
Dooga

Viruses That Hurt Hardware

Recently, my aunt just got a virus... it's not a normal virus that deletes files or monitors my movements... it's actually a virus that does permanant damage...What it does is that is starts up with Windows, and occassionally use up your CPU excessively, causing your CPU fan to speed up. Then it suddenly drops down, so your fan slows down in a sudden stop. This not only hurts your fan, your CPU, but it also hurts your Harddrive, since your hardware's heat is inconsistent and jumpy. This resulted in some "harddrive inconsistencies" which made her computer freeze after 10 to 20 seconds after startup... ouch!Anyone else got or know anything similar?

I haven't heard of a such a virus that does damage to hardware.However, have you tried booting the computer up in safe mode (pressing F8 whilst booting up) and then running a virus scan in safe mode?Safe mode basically only opens the system files a computer needs to use to run. Safe mode doesn't load up the additional files on boot like normal windows does.I hope you manage to fix it in the very near future <_<

I've never heard of a virus of this kind. To my previous knowledge the only way a virus can damadge your computer is by somehow damadging your cmos chip which would prevent the computer from booting at all. <_<

Ive never HEARD of one, ive had thoughts about a virus that could alter the bios settings and overclock the pc causing it to overheat etc... probably wouldnt even work!! What a biatch of a virus you have though. Do as said above thoughh and you should catch it and if you have any other details like the name etc.. then could you post here so we can make sure we dont get hit too. Would hate to have that virus <_<

When i got given my laptop from my uncle within a week it was doing similar things, random things randomly starting (hard drive etc) it would lock up at first, then take ages to load windows, then somtimes not be able to load windows then i got error message "no bootable devices found, no hard drive found error" i called dell they sent me a new hard drive and now its fine!

Yeah, there is possible that virus can hurt hardware. The most dangerous attack i think is when the virus write the BIOS. So our computer can totally dead.if the virus not damage our hardware, and it may monitoring our activity. If the virus is created using Visual Basic, there is simple way to destroy it.1. go to e.g: C:\Windows\System32 and rename msvbvm60.dll to whatever you want like msvbvm60.dll.bak.2. restart your computer and the virus will error!.3. List the file, and delete manually.4. You can rename it back to msvbvm60.dllHope's help <_<

Or try hitting it and screaming work dammit work XD.

il lell you, that works! my computers internet wasn't working, i threw the wireless card across the room, it hit the wall then just for the hell of it, i put it back in and it worked <_< even if there was a chip in the card, so i had to buy a new one even though it worked :P

lol ive never heard of this virius, but i hope i never get it because i cant afford anything like that...

I've not only heard of this type of virus a computer sciences major friend of mine wrote a proof of concept "computer killer" as a part of his thesis. there are a lot of things that a virus can do to mess with hardware.-processor modulations(stated above)-faked dropped bits in ram. this affects typically network cards and harddrives. normally a chip of ram drops a bit of data every quadrillion cycles or so. no big deal. this one fakes dropped bits every 100 cycles with a chip that during post checks good. this eventually leads to bad data being processed and junk instruction being sent to hardware. this can be rather devastating during shutdown because it'll give harddrive addresses that are severly out of range. -forcing open transistors. sending bad data through the various busses can damage the power supply by shorting between conections on the mother board. -there's a technique called "drive bashing" that on all drives with moving parts. it is a raw read/write that forces the internal parts to crash against the edges of the inside of the drive. a symptom of this occurs naturally in harddrives. if your harddrive is clicking, get it replaced because it's about to die (unless it's scsi).

That thing could easily kill a laptop, man that would suck if the warranty ran out and you suddenly get the virus. You know when the motherboard fries or some other component fries, you cant just replace it like you can on pcs.

Oh damn that has to be one of the worst computer virusses on the planet, losing files sucks but can be restored with a backup, losing hardware cant be restored and will cost a lot of money to replace it :\Jsut wondering how gruesome virusses in the future will become if they can already do this kind of damage towards your computer, very scary indeed!

That is ridiculous !!!!!!!!! I havent ever heard things as such so far... First time i'm hearing suh an interesting virus ... I really pity for your aunt's computer. GoodLuck with disinfecting the virus..

you know, i had the same problem. there was a process which would constantly burn my cpu every 5-10 seconds. after a few weeks i had to replace mycpu and system fan. i formatted my harddrive, solved the problem just like that... stillver y anooying though. i thought it was just my crapppy pc at first aswell... ahh the damage it did, so so bad ><

Hi Guys,We can open CDROM just with a click, we can shutdown computer with a click, we can overclock and giving some component more electricity with a click. From that we know, that software(virus is software) can do many thing with our computer's hardware. Remember All hardware in our PC is controlled by software. So it's very possible that virus can hurt hardware.By the way, does anyone know, what programming language used to create hardware viruses. (Is assemble or C or BASIC??)sorry for my english :D

Notice from saint-michael:
NO asking for information about illegal activities on this site. Warning issued.