xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
salamangkero

The Horoscope Hoax A lie sustained for over a millenia

Among the numerous constellations dotting the night sky, there are twelve, which, lying more or less about the equator, divide the celestial sphere into longitudinal sections of 30 degrees each. These constellations comprise what is known as the celestial zodiac. These constellations, much like everything else in the celestial sphere, helped the early man determine the seasons. As much as the Constellation of Orion, for a person in the northern hemisphere, is a sure sign that winter approaches, the constellations Sagittarius and Capricorn mark the short nights brought about by the summer solstice.However, there do exist creative individuals in the human society that attribute mundane, day-to-day events to these pinpoints of light. Granted, the possibility is quite real, due to the butterfly effect, that small and seemingly trivial details like the positioning of all particles in the universe can determine the lifetime or the destiny of a person. In the subtle art, not science, of astrology, these individuals concern themselves with different celestial bodies such as the sun and moon, planets and stars, especially the celestial zodiac.The first evidences of human use of the zodiac belt were dated as far back as 114 B.C. The year now is 2006, meaning these star signs have been in use for at least 2120 years. Back then, these astrologers have observed and recorded that, in the yearly cycle, the sun travels through all twelve 30-degree segments, also called houses. Each year, the same cycle repeats with astonishing precision. These star signs were assigned on people depending on the house the sun was in at the time of their birth.However, the universe was not as precise as everyone had thought. The celestial zodiac shifts westward at the rate of roughly one degree every 70 years. In the lifetime of a person, such abberations are hardly noticeable. However, in the course of over two millenia, most "expert" and "certified" astrologers still base their predictions on the old model. These people would probably be chagrined to know that the zodiac's houses, as of the present, have been shifted up by one house, or roughly 30 degrees, since its inception. In other words, the sun will not be in Aries until the time assigned for Taurus.There probably is not much grave danger in seeking advice from an astrologer. However, if you do, you now know very well how to spot one who is not well-versed in his/her craft: just ask about the star signs.In a few more millenia, should one be unfortunate enough to live that long, one can anticipate the winter sun in Gemini and Cancer. Until then, mind your star signs and may the Fates be kind to you all.

Edited by salamangkero (see edit history)

i always read my horoscope in the newspaper even if it is merely to see what it says.there have been times when what was said is applicable however usually what is said is so generic anyone can apply it to their lives.still a bit of fun though if anything.

based upon the charactaristics of my sign, 'Taurus', and who i am. I would say that horoscopes, for me, are pretty much right on the money. Not 'Always' are they correct as to what happens in my day to day life but they are perfect for my 'persona' as a whole

Well my sign is Gemini, and I sort of relate to its description in many ways, but I dont depend or am worried about a single thing that the horoscope says. The best thing that has ever come out of the zodiac / horoscope thing, was this awesome anime cartoon called zodiac Knights? I dont know what their name was in english, but in spanish they were called "caballeros del zodiaco", they were like the Dragon ball before Dragon ball hit tv here in Mexico. The action figures were like no other action figure I had ever seen, they had really cool armor depending on their sign. It was a really cool anime/cartoon.

Well, that's pretty much it for me. I don't exactly put much sane value on horoscopes but the zodiac sure does a nifty trick for entertainment. I read it, yeah, but only for fun. I often find myself saying, "Really now?" at those "predictions" for the day/week/month. I also happen to like the constellations but also for aesthetic pleasure only, as most objects in the night sky warrant.

Edited by salamangkero (see edit history)

I tend to read my horoscopes retrospectively to see how much of it actually happened, sometimes there are some correlations other times not but that's just chance anyway. The main problem I have with horoscopes, same with mediums, is that there always so vague that the chances of something that can be interpreted as being 'predicted' is always in the predictors favour. well that I and I'm one of those people that needs physical proof (or at least inferred proof, from detecting the effects of something rather than the actually physical existence of said thing). I'm not saying that for sure horoscopes are not accurate, I'm just saying that until someone can prove it I'll continue to remain sceptical.