xisto Community
Tsunami

The Teenage Condition

Ok, What do you think about this. it has been pointed out to me, that i am just going through a 'phase', with my being 16, where i tend to correct people. I say its just who i am that it has nothing to do with my 'age' or hormones or whatever. I get in fights with my mom sometimes because shes like "You always correct me and thats disrespectful" but she doesnt understand how it just gets under my skin when mistakes go un-noticed. I guess you could call it a sort of OCD (Obsessive Compusive Disorder) if you will. I am also a big 'Grammar' freak. When people write things without proper punctuation or usage of words it just drives me nuts. My brother asked me to look over his resume for him and i like changed ALOT. It was little things like 2 spaces here, a space on the wrong side of a comma, or even a semi-colon (<_< in the wrong spot. Then he gets mad at me for it. Its like would rather show up with a resume at a job interview with errors or would you rather me just fix it. Could you tell me if you think its a 'phase' or 'adolecence' or whatever you think it might be, like i said, i think its an OCD.btw... do you think 'Cynical' is a big word?

Hard to say whether its just a phase or actually "you" probably a bit of both, meaning that you'll probably never stop but with time you might become less annoyed by unnoticed mistakes. I highly doubt that it is any kind of OCD though.

For somebody who claims to be a 'Grammar Freak' your grammar is awefully wrong:

but she doesnt

doesn't

Ok, What do you think about this. it has

this? It

and i like changed

I highly doubt any grammar book will use the verb "to like" in this fashion

Its like would rather show up with a resume at a job interview with errors or would you rather me just fix it.

Its like wow how can u put like so much many grammar mistakes in an sentence?

It was little things

things plural -> it were

Sorry just beeing a smartass.... and I don't consider 'cynical' a big word at all.

Well first I would like to say. You just got owned!!! But I do not think it is any problem. Me and my cousin used to do that alot. <_< People got mad at us. I think it is not a problem to point out the obvious.

Hard to say whether its just a phase or actually "you" probably a bit of both, meaning that you'll probably never stop but with time you might become less annoyed by unnoticed mistakes. I highly doubt that it is any kind of OCD though.

doesn't

this? It

things plural -> it were

Sorry just beeing a smartass.... and I don't consider 'cynical' a big word at all.

This is such a classic post lol it is soo PERFECT! i cant get over it! Nice post Blacklaser it deserves an award

I have noticed a lot of grammar mistakes in your post, which Blacklaser has pointed out.No I do not think Cynical is a big word.It is a tendency to correct things during teen years, as my mom says, "Teens think they have lots of power". Which I somewhat agree but...Anyways, I just turned 13 <_<.

Let's not forget that "A LOT" is two words! <_<

I think that in the teenage years people do tend to go overboard on certain things. Things that bother you, new things that you become interested in... everything becomes a huge deal when you are a teenager. It's not OCD. It's something almost everyone goes through in their own way. And it's not something that you can really understand until you get older and have to watch other people go through it.

doesn't

this? It

things plural -> it were

did i detect a bit of valley girl in my post too? i think i did. I like what you did. That was like... 'The *BLEEP*' in lamens terms. Tis better to be a smartass than a dumbass hmmm? Alot of times when im posting ill either leave out a word or type it twice like ' you you '. That will happen quite frequently >.<. Another thing i tend to do is when im in an 'I don't ( <_< ) care' mood, is that i dont use the right word for there/they're/their. Anyway, thanks for pointing that out. I will probably do the same thing again but it's to be expected.

You know, it never crossed my mind to check my grammar...

but the reason i ask about the word 'cynical' is because my friend was like "Do you just get online in the middle of the night and look up BIG words for you to use so that you seem smart?", and no i dont. I learnt that word in the 5th grade >.<

lol haha blacklaser got you there, thought u were a grammar freak....a grammar freak wouldve checked himself correct each n every single time correct?? well anyways i def dont believe its a phase or hormonal thing...i just think thats just the way you are...but its a good thing that your like that...itll allow you to be better to be correct in regards of grammar is concerned...and hopefully MAYBE youll be able to take that into something like.....I DONT KNOW lol good luck

The word cynical is probably a big word to lots of people. I don't think its big to me. I mean it doesn't fall in the ranks of the words: confusion, immediate, or whatever. You know those words are sort of "long" and have more than one syllable. They're sort of complex if you think about it on an elementary mindset. lol.

i guess some people think words are long if they have these qualities:1) The word has more than 1 syllable.2) The person cannot pronounce it correctly3) The person has absolutly no idea what the word meansi think words are long if they have more than 10-12 letters in them, depending on the every-day usage of the word. For example:--Establishment has 13 letters. Everyone knows the word (the majority), everyone can pronounce it (the majority), and even though it has 4 syllables, its not necessarily a 'big word'. Don't get me wrong, it is a 'long' word, but not classified as a 'big' word. Someone wouldn't call you out on it. They wouldn't say "Why do you have to use such BIG words?". Lets look at another: -- Floccinaucinihilipilification has 29 letters (is one of my favorite words). Hardly no-one knows the word, many people probably cannot pronounce it, and it has 11 syllables (give or take) is concidered a 'big' word. lil' fun and learning for ya. ^.^