xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Google Wifi Googles Gift

Google is to provide WiFi nodes to make a Wireless network covering the entire city of Mountain View. Both the residents and visitors of Mountain View can access this network for free and surf the Internet.

Google WiFi, as the network is known, uses the same wireless networking standard built into most notebook computers. Instead of the wireless WiFi routers common in homes, Google has installed 380 nodes on light poles scattered throughout Mountain View.

Google is promising a public debut for Google WiFi by the end of summer, which gives the company until Sept. 23. Details are online http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

All you need is your Google Account and a WiFi Enabled Notebook or you can even buy and attach WiFi cards for your Desktop PCs.

Lucky Guys out there in Mountain View.

well, a couple of things >_<A) in regards to the topic about, would you pay 5$ a month for googles services, i would if they offered this :P:P with all the people using this wireless stuff, i hope google provides some kind of downloadable softwear to protect your PC's because it would not be a secure network, which means anyone who is connected to the wireless internet would be able to access all of your computer if they knew how to.C) with all of the people using the wireless internet, i am sure the internet would be slower than it normally would if you had your own home ofice connection.although there are many posatives to this, i find more negatives than posatives but i would try it out just to see how things worked out :P i think that'd be pretty awsome if they came to my area!! lower our bills alittle bit since we are in debt up to our eyeballs because of my grandpa's death :)good catch! and yes, the people in Mountian View are verry lucky!

Hmm sounds interesting. Wait so it does not cost at all? That would be really cool. I mean free internet access. But abviously it costs to stay there. So you have to admit that eather way you are paying for it.

I think san fransico, the city, is also trying to do this.Some concerns though - there has been no research into the question of does radio waves (those coming from cell phones and wireless internets) cause cancer. No one WANTS to know, better to live in ignorence.

This seems quite interesting, original and very usefull for those citizens.I just wished google would create another wireless network near my home! He he he!--------------I guess this is for the hot news forums.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

I **think** that they are doing a similar thing in scotsdale or phoenex cant remember which but using some new technology using 4 super wifi routers which supposedly will cover a radius of 2-4 miles from the city centre.

I think lots of people are gonna hog up the internet and make it super slow but this is really a good idea. I don't think Bill gates has even thought of this. He should do it. He has billions of dollars from Microsoft and he gives some to charities so this could be one charity thing too. Maybe restrict access to only students or a family with students. And access only through an account set up for free.