xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Abhay

Coke_mentos_explosive coke and mentos have a highly explosive reaction

Yeah thats really something, actually amazing. The discovery channel once had a episode on Mythbusters that had did the same experiment with the mentos in coke and discovered that the dimples on the mentos create a nice way for the carbonation to be caught or something. They tried it without the dimples and it didn't react explosively. I myself have even tried to come any where near this experiment because of the waste of soda, but is something I really want to try. Something even more cool you may not of seen are http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Check it out, see what you think, its something I would of never thought of doing.

You mean you only just found out about this? There are videos of people doing it EVERYWHERE! Just checkout yootube or something and you'll see...You may like to know that after Mentos found out about this, they we're very pleased! They want everybody to try this expiriment so they can use it as an advertising campaign! But Coke Ltd doesn't agree... they say the drink is for drinking and not expirimenting on.

Coke and Mentos are a very tasteful combination anyways. It's scary to know this though. You wonder what else like this could happen wit food and drink combinations. I can see how Mentos would be happy and Coke wouldn't be. Mentos is a smaller organization, while Coke is known everywhere and very popular. It's always fun to experiment with this kind of stuff.

this experiement has become the latest fad for kids to muck around with and do. it is quite a cool thing to see. some of them go 10 or so metres up into the air. very impressive. i am yet to do it myself though.

Lol my frend told me about this, he actualy shook it up, put metos in like 2 packs and then taped up the lid on and made it so secure, and it just burst open on one of the sides that was origionally crinkled, it wood be so scary lol, they werent expecting it to happen, they thort it didnt work but then boomb, it took a while to build up so strongly

Looks like fun, but what a waste of soda! Obviously some people have way too much time on their hands. I wonder what sort of surprise the first person to do this got? I would have liked to have seen it!

Bin there done that, I really don't like this anymore to many people created it. And only video I thaught was good is on google video and mytube. Its 2 gy's doing a experiment and did like 200 of them. Until they created the ultimate coke /mentos stuff. Thats ace these gy's are yust fake period.

Well, I had not heard of something like this. They dont even sell mentos here in Mexico, but it would really be cool to try that out. I wonder if you would end up throwing up or something if you swallow both at the same time, lol.

I saw the experiment on youtube. Pretty amazing, and my chemistry teacher actually allowed us to do it as our experiment project. Try this, eat your mentos and drink coke at the same time. I've done it before and my face when pale because of the sudden explosion inside my mouth. If you wanna do this, i urge you to be careful.I so wanna swallow the mentos and drink coke at the same time, i wonder how it feels to have an explosion in my stomach :lol:^_^

We did this project in Bio class, something about the bi-polar attraction of water molecules that hold the carbon in place until something in the mentos causes it to be released all at once. It works with any kind of carbonated drink. But of course the outdated (flat) ones don't work nearly as well.gotta love first yea bio teachers who don't really want to be teaching bioAnd Nero...I am sure you would be left with some major belching and probably some serious crams and stomach pains.

Edited by laforgej (see edit history)

We've done this around 7 years ago when I was in high school. We used to this this as a prank. When someone drinks Coke and looks away from his bottle, we'd slip a half peice mentos into his bottle. The half-peice mentos would cause the bottle fo coke to bubble up and spill. An dif you shake the bottle, it would eventually explode. It's actually the inner part of mentos that makes it bubble, because if you put the whole mentos in, it would take sometime for the coke to bubble. It was fun seeing the shocked faces of my friends upon seeing their bottle of coke buuble up then spill. :P

Agree on that it was cool the first time I saw it but after that, it was even coo, except for those who tried some completely different. Although I did find it interesting as to why this combo works like it should.

I do think it's all about mint and carbonated water. We used to own a convenience store and, among others, we sell Coke, Sprite and Royal (it's an orange juice soda, by the same company). Among candies, we also sell Mentos (both mint and spearmint) and Polo (ze mint wiz ze hole).Anyway, it didn't work as well for the spearmint flavored Mentos. The original mint flavored Mentos took quite some time. See, Mentos has this candy coating that, well, coats the mint inside. Polo, on the other hand, is pure mint candy. It all mint inside out so I do think I like its "potency" more than that of Mentos :PI also like to use Coke (or Pepsi) more than any other soda 'coz it leaves stains more unsightly than the others.I wonder... :P