xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zerogravity

My View on Religion

LISTEN UP!everyone has different views about religion. I don't believe in religion myself.but humans need religion as much as they need LOVE,family and a feeling of security.humans need leaders to guide them,to assure them that they have a place in the world and in the world beyond. they need something that will love them and be with them no matter what.every one needs a place to run to or somebody to run towhen the world no longer seems to be a beautiful place.everyone needs to feelthat when everything goes wrong in their life they have someone to turn to.religion and god provides them with all this and much more. that is why religion is good.and remember that without religion in this world it would be in total chaos.i'd like to hear comments about my post.

Notice from truefusion:
Edited Topic title to reduce confusion.

I actually consider those who NEED religion as week. I haven't had a need for any of what you say people need religion for in over 10 years.

Sure, now - I do feel that practicing religion helps people to magically deal with life's stresses.

All religion have to have some good lessons or morales as a matter of maintainablility (they'd get fewer members if they were proclaiming that somebody like D.H.Lawrence was speaking the words of god). The beliefs that the lessons are based on is what I have problems with - usually intrepreted stories.

Religion is not good if you ask me. It is the cause of most wars - and that's a fact. Whenever there are two large groups who believe in slightly different things they grow this thing called hatred (look at Israel and Lebanon or Syria).

What people should really deal with is reality. I hope that they discover life on Mars - soon. But, then they will claim that the Bible stated that God created the universe - and therefore, life on Mars... but it does say "... all the creatures of this land...." Those books written 2000 years ago can NOT be relevant today.

Religions should not be distinctly taught to our children - we should either teach them ALL religions or NO religions. If everybody understood each other, there'd be no reason for border-wars.

I can't see getting offended or so worked up over a BELIEF! Why do people become fanatics of their religion - I am not just talking about islamic fanatics (like Bush recently titles them "Islamo Fascists")? The promise of things that can't possibly be true drives people to amazing ends -- for example: "eternal life", or "72 virgins".... hmmmm - who wouldn't want 72 virgins when they die? Of course it is complete BS! Nobody could ever prove any of these descriptions of the after-life!

Now, to say that there will be complete chaos without religion is to assume too much. Without religion, we could devote more of out time talking to our neighbors (who were previously going to some other religious meetings). Without religion, we wouldn't have any more need for border wars - right? If there really is no after-life, we better make this life good and peaceful, right? Would greed take over? I am sure that some would stop caring about the immoralities of their crimes and - for some, it would be more chaotic.... but I don't believe for a second that the whole world would drop into chaos. My friends are mostly athiests as well - and we are so peaceful, you would think that we were each regular members at our sunday church.

Well, if there is nothing called religion, then earth would probably be in shatters.. It is probably religion that keep people stick to their conscience and obey their mind... If there is no religion, man would lose fear. Once he loses fear of the unknown, then he might indulge in all possible things. So it is better to have a religion regardless of the truth lying behind it. Religions also hep man celebrate various festivities which would obviously help people to ease off their worry ,...etc., Anyway, i would say religion is a necessary "GOOD"

I'm Christian, and I believe that Christianity is more than just a religion. All other (or most other, anyways) say that you have to work your way to heaven. Christianity says to put your faith in Jesus, because we can never earn our way to heaven by ourselves. There's joy in that because I'm sure that I'm going to heaven. Plus, I always have someone to talk to, and to cast my troubles on. I have connections with the creator of the universe!!Speaking from a sort-of secular point of view, I think religion is good because it encourages people to do good. But as people above have mentioned, some wars are started because of different religions. But, it's not religion that causes wars; it's our own human flaws. Humans decide that they don't like each other because we have different beliefs, and therefore, they want to start a war. Religion alone does not start wars.I think that we should teach our children about our religion, and apply it to our daily lives, but it is also important for them to know about other religions as well. We shouldn't force it on them, but instead show them how one should live it out.

It's that view I don't agree with though, Pixie. It puts too much emphasis on the fact that humanity can't do anything by themselves, and leads us, as humans, to view ourselves as inferior - as well as making other religions, like my own (Hinduism), appear inferior because "there's only ONE (count 'em!) path to heaven!"It also leaves room for people who are genuinly bad, but follow Christianity like a trail, to earn a reward where other good people, who weren't offered or didn't find comfort in religion, can't get a similar berth. Lots of inequality in that structure.Over all, I like to view religion as a rich cultural and literary tradition, rather than an organization of human creation that undermines a human's potential to create a life adequate to said human's goals. As humanity, we have to stop dividing ourselves over religion, and instead focus on the common things we all share. The more we divide ourselves, the less we can agree on a variety of topics that are threatening us now. Who's concerned with the afterlife when our world is essentially melting into itself? I don't know about you, but I'm sick of people waiting around looking for a miracle to tell them what to do. The answer's here - and we have to take care of our world and do our job before we get our "reward".

I actually consider those who NEED religion as week. I haven't had a need for any of what you say people need religion for in over 10 years.

I don't think that people who need religion are weak. It takes a certain amount of STRENGTH to believe in a god of any kind. You've got people attacking you from all angles. It would seem to me that it would be easier to go through life without thinking about it really at all, ignoring everything people say and believe that it's all just there and that no god exists, especially not the God of heaven.

religion can be a way of getting out of everyday lifemost poeple are religous because they either live in that sort of enviroment or their ansestors have been religous and have folowed godi personly am not religous but have nothing against religions

I think what people need is a life philosophy... unfortunately many choose to take the pre-made ones (religious philosophies) instead of going through life trying to figure out the world on their own. I mean that is their choice, and I'd say religions get a lot of things right in terms of 'morality' but it is the things they get wrong that worries me sometimes. I think that people who choose to be religious should do a lot of heavy thinking about their religion's teachings- its okay to disagree sometimes. :)

I personally believe that religion is important.... Hey, they teach you the opposite way of Christian beliefs in public school so there must be a conspiracy or something with that. Hey, it could happen.... Actually, I have a few friends who are Athiests and believe that when you die you rot and that's it and they smoke, drink, and at 12 have lost their virginity. Most of my church friends are the opposite. Not one of them smoke and definently haven't done anything. Religion is important as it shapes your standards and keeps you human instead of forest animals destroying the world.

Such a sensitive topic ...In relation to religion being beneficial towards humanity, theres always its equilibrium of pro's and con's. Take Wars for example, previously someone posted that religions lead to wars. In the past, yes, people do fight for their beliefs and it goes to a large scale of a nation level. But in the modern days, wars fought are not caused by religion, in fact, it is just used as a reason for the fight. Its like beating someone up because he has something you need then using your religion as an excuse and proclaiming your self justification.As much as a book 2000 years old can apply to us, im sure given enough understanding, the human nature does not change and if the book addresses our tendencies and our problems which have not change in the milleniums ago and the milleniums to come, why should it not be applicable to us, and why should we not teach our children. Its like culture, do you want your kids to run over coals and pierce themselves? Its not justified to do everything to cater for everyone. You do need to have a stand on your part, learning all religions for peace would never work, just because all religions dont work together, they only exist together. You can walk through more than 1 door at a time (dont give me stupid analogies please, we're talking common sense).Religion has been integral in mankind for as long as ancient civilizations have recorded it, why is this so? Its because man have always felt that there was a higher being somewhere out there. Its very hard to prove that God exists, but it is even harder to prove that he doesn't. If a God did not exist, what was before the big bang? And how did the big bang come about? Where does probability lie in the depths of a reality that wasn't even created, how is there a chance of life springing out of no where when there isnt anywhere to spring life onto. These questions are just the tip of the iceberg, there are many debates onto topics like these, but the main question now is what is a religion to you? How do you perceive this human nature? Has modernism covered that need to seek a higher being?A fine example why people in the past seeked Godly entities more than the present day human is because of technology (Im not blaming it for turning people into atheists). When you are a farmer and you rely on nature to bring about your livelihood, you tend to want to pray that the rain and sun are on your favor (Although they rarely listen to you). Its these needs in various aspects of life that brings people closer to their realization of God or maybe the start of their seeking.Simply putting down the fact that Religion is bad doesnt prove anything because nothing in the world is perfect, Christianity doesnt believe its perfect, it only thinks that the Bible is. Religions do have their ways of discipline, preaching of a clean life and performing good deeds. Call it brain wash if you want, but these are related to atheists as Morals and Ethics? Lets just say you find that Religions are a load of bullcrap, and you drop your moral standards because of that, i'd think you're only living this life because you can. Even people who believe in God can have sub-moral standards, comparing to Atheists, they also have people who have high moral standards. So is it fair to say that doubting a religion would equal to doubting the moralistic teachings they provide? So if the bible says everything can be eaten do you doubt that? Come on there is some truth in EVERY religion, if you arent going to believe in the religion, dont drop your morals and ethics over it.Bhuddism has come a long way, teaching its essence of reincarnation and karma. Although I personally dont believe in it, I dont doubt that we will get our just deserves because of what we have done. If life was just to end after I die, then theres no point living. If there wasn't any motive or purpose to live, why are we here? We aren't random per say. Its how you look at it seriously.Does it harm anyone to even believe in something that helps you through life? Theres no point in being angry with people who believe or dont belive, we just accept it and see what we can do to affect each other positively. Who said this world has to take sides (Although everyone is taking their sides).Truthfully, Religions do have their absurdity in their own ways, 72 virgins? Come on if you can only see their eyes, 144 wouldnt be enough. Reincarnation? Turn into a dog? Like i'd remember anyway. Jesus died on the cross? How can you prove it? But if a religion can be proved, it wouldnt be a religion. Think about it that way, if you have only 1 path to walk, how can it be by choice. Its truly when you have every direction to walk in and you choose the right one, you can then say "Hey I made the right choice". And that is what Religion preaches about, making the right choice because YOU can choose, its not Forced onto you like a chore or a job. If the whole world was bhuddist, would you be one? If you won't would you be segregated? Can you survive? Thank goodness we have freedom of choice. So what would you choose ?

Edited by idle (see edit history)

My opinion is that religion spawned from human nature and his extreme desire of ethernal life. This is a simple trap set by one's own mind beacouse when it get's really tough out there in "real world" you can always comfort your self about this beeing just a simple test before heaven.Religion also sets human guilt about doing bad things or not doing anything at all.Confuison set by the religion. (Christianity i think)"At the beginning there was a word!"Imagine that all of human knowlege is transported through time! Well, basicly that is what is happening with DNA (or gene code, i'm not a scientist).So how did that word begin..."Don't eat from the apple tree"Think of human's before 20 000 years (or whatever the age is).Now think of a cuple that wandered around, doing whatever they did. Behind seven seas seven trees and seven hills they saw a tree with some fruit on it. When they took it something changed and they realized that nothing is what it seems like it is. In their insanity they tried to tell their friends their experience with an apple tree. Only those who were worthy survived. They learned the secret, and decided that they should never tell anyone about this magic tree. They all went in different directions knowing that one day they will all meet again... They called them selfes Holy GhostsThat is what i like about religion. In any one you can find millions of different interpretation of a same thing. In the end it doesn't matter do you belive or not, all it matters is that you had fun when you had your chance.P.S. The truth is out there :)

Okay, relating to what Sinari said: Just because they're atheists doesn't mean they don't have morals. These are personal decisions. Just because an ancient book tells some people what to do and how they can attain whatever through THEIR FAITH doesn't mean it applies to everyone, nor should it. At our very core, we are all individual creatures with our own morals, etc. Morals are influenced by environment, chiefly. Religion is simply there to bolster morals by offering consequences. If you do this, you get this. If you don't do this, this happens. I have several friends who are atheists who are better people than myself. And on another note, I have Christian friends who are anything but angels. You cannot assign people to stereotypes based on their religion/lack thereof.And concerning Idle: I believe in reincarnation in a more fundamental sense. It's the Circle of Life rather than samsara :)Religion simply exists to explain what we don't know or can't understand. Creation, death, life after death, up until things that are out of the ordinary. Just because they're weird doesn't make them miracles, but again, that's up to whoever to decide.

I dont see how matak can selectively quote sentences from the bible and start talking about unsubstantiated claims about holy ghosts eating apples on hills and also talking about DNA @_@ Its just intruiging how some people who fail to understand dont want to =)