xisto Community
DogEater008

Megaupload Reduced Their Download Limit Again! [resolved]

I tried to download a few files from megaupload today; usually, i'm able to download 2 to 3 files which are about 200-250mb each. Now when i tried to download the second files, it says i have exceeded my free download limit... So i went to the main page to check for new updates. It is true that they reduced from 500mb to 250mb bandwidth for free users. Yeah, i know bandwidth cost money too, but megaupload has been reducing their download limits ever since they became popular. At first, even though the speed wasn't as great as it is now, but there wasn't any download limit. Then they reduced to 500mb. Now they reduced to 250mb. .... I know that megaupload is a good site, but it's annoying how you have to wait 418 minutes every 250mb of downloads.

sound is hard to use it again.So for now we support to buy a premium account if we want to use it a lot.With me I seem to be going to buy one because I use it a lot.How do you think about this issue.Do you going to buy a premium account.It will be better than free account.you don't have to wait for a long time like that.With me time is gold.So better don't wait it.

Well I would suggest using a different uploader. I would try using http://www.filevip.com/, they do have bandwidth limits, and maximum file size is 100mb, but if you upload a file that is very busy 2 or 3 times, and have several mirrors listed on your site or whateva, they are good. I dont like ones that are crammed with ads, or ones that just try to get you to buy things all the time, thats why I use filevip.com because you can link directly to the file.Xisto should make a file upload centre

Megaupload has never really been a very good service, and to be honest, judging by what I've heard and seen of the site, I find it untrustworthy.

But then, you have to understand that the more people who are using the service, the less they have to spare, so they may have to make drastic measures like this. But then, if they are running out of bandwidth, why don't they buy more???

Xisto should make a file upload centre

I completely agree with lemonwonder there. What better than to have a place for everything we want to be downloaded from, and ran by our own little friendly community? But services like these are hard to do and not cheap either, so whether or not it is possible is another question. One that only OpaQue can answer.
(Mental Note: Learn to spell!)
Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

DogEater008, just change your ip adress and you can continue downloading from megaupload.If your isp (internet service provider) gives a dynamic ip adress, then you just need to log off, wait 30 seconds, then log on again, and then you will have a different ip adress.This technique is very used by people who does not want to pay in rapidshare.de !!!

Or as another trick, do some of your downloads normally, and then download the rest through a proxy, like Anonymouse. (This method is not guaranteed to work as many websites block proxies nowadays)

About my idea of Xisto file upload service, and the comment on it, well i used to be at a hosting company, x10hosting. They offered much more space etc, but their cpanel sucked and it had ads.they had loads of things, like instant free forum hosting (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and then they also had their file uploader which they opened to stop stress on their servers, weather Xisto makes it public is a huge descision, but if they made it so that they had it for hosted members, it would be much better for the hosting servers, it would be faster, weather its just Xisto that does it or just the Xisto Corp. it would still be neat. Or maybe if you paid ex. amount of hosting credits for a years membership, and if you arent hosted you just pay with real money, like 50-60 credits I think would be reasonable, for like an account with basic features, like 500mb max file size, 5gb space etc, and have rules that you cant just use it as a computer back-up. And for maybe 200 credits could be the top account, unlimited/un-metered everything (unless the server is really stressed) I would really love a file hosting from the Xisto corp, I like the hosting, and I would like to see more things! but yeh, not everyone can juust go and set one up.

The idea is good, but I think Xisto admins have a lot of work and they?re too busy to set up and maintain a server which surely would be soon overloaded. It would envolve a lot of problems related with piracy, copyright issues, etc. And I don?t want the hosting to close for that reasons. :) I don?t think it?s possible to make this.

Man, I really hate it when sites like these change their downloading policies. It really bites when you're expecting to download a lot but then they change it. The same thing goes for YouTube when they changed the uploading submissions to a maximum of Ten Minutes...

I don't recommend using Download services (file upload services). It feels uneasy to upload files to an unknown server that I don't know of.You can try to share files legally (with permission) on P2P networks.

Actually, sites of this sort are difficult to maintain when they got popular. Either they will have to promote some sort of VIP services, like unlimited download and higher speed, or they will have to reduce their upload limits. Most of the time they are doing both. As long as the discrepancy between paid and free services widen, there bound to be some loss in the number of free users and some increase of paid users. Rapidshare and Clubbox is going both direction. Megaupload is actually a variant of Rapidshare and YouSendIt. It is not surprising that it is going towards such direction. I like BT more than these upload and download servers. Although BT is more time dependent, it is generally much faster than these services.

ROFLMAO,
All those P2P networks r dangerous, theyr terrible, things like limewrie can auto-download viruses and bad content, we had a thing on news bout it

There are many virusses and Spyware on the classic P2P networks.
Most of the time you see it on the file size (small files), but it can also be a big file that's infected by a virus.
Since no one owns the network, these files will be always there because the people that have these files on their drive haven't every heard of virusses I think.

Bittorent is a fast sharing medium and since it's a bit more difficult to use there are less virusses.
The only problem you have is that you have to find torrent files to download the content.
Bittorent is also frequently used to download (and share) linux distributions (on CD or DVD size).

Yes its also a pain on sites such as youtube when they change the limits and so forth, that there are still media files out there that are well over 10 minutes. But then again it was uploaded before the limits were changed.I also agree to an extent about P2P, especially with the GATOR spyware controversy in the past on various classic P2P programs.