xisto Community
Tailson

Make Your Own Mmog Does anyone know how to do it?

I want to make an MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) similar to that of Utopia or OGame. Does anyone know any ways of accomplishing this? And if you do, could you link me to the program used or write me a simple walkthrough on how to get started?Thanks.

It's not easy to make an MMOG, but I'm glad you're not trying to make it an RPG. Or are you? You'll have to clear that up for me.There isn't really an easy way to make an online game. You have to know how to use the internet with the game, and most of the time that'll mean you can't use game editors.But I've heard that there are a few editors out that you can modify to have internet support. Does that make sense to you?

i think don't think that there is a program out there that can make a mmog-- or at least a good one because you need that cheracters, objects, landscape, and then you need the pragramming for objects and what they do and how they react with each ither and on top of that the log systems and all together it is a nightmare. I tryed makinging one and after 3 months of designing i was sick of it because therre was noone to work with. If you have experience with graphics and game programing maybe we can put a team together to make one. Tell me more about what your goals are for the game.

You want a simple walkthrough on how to make a MMORPG? Erm...yeah. Good luck finding one of those. For starters, you'll need a ton of resources (remember, copyrighted material is strictly illegal, so no taking from WoW or whatever). Next, you'll need a serious team of advanced coders. No script kiddies here, if you want a real MMORPG. After a few years of insanely dedicated work, you'll have to pay for dedicated servers, web space, bandwidth, even more coding... So um yeah, good luck?

Ack, MMORPG? No thanks. If anyone here has played OGame or Utopia you'll see that they are text based games. Of course I would like one of my own, but why not spruce things up a lil? For example, when a battle is occuring, you have to command the next move of your fleet. Each battle can last days at a time. If the opponent doesn't respond in a day, you can make yet another move. This encourages you to log on every day. This makes the game more tactical, instead of relying on sheer numbers and ship strength.It'll take a hell of a lot of programming and scripting, and I can make the graphics myself. This could turn out to be something if I found the right tutorials and stuff right? Not to mention the game design course I'm doing in college soon.

Edited by Tailson (see edit history)

GameMaker is a free program for making games but unless you can afford a dedicated server, theres no point.I am currently in the process of making a MMOG called Stickman Chaos�.We can be found at: http://maddonkeygames.yolasite.com/
Stickman Chaos� can be found at:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ by Chainsaw Maniac

Gamemaker is fairly powerful, but not visually appealing.If you really want something like the online mmorpgs like runescape or utopia, then you have to be like an expert/pro in scripting in server language, flash & web publishing.As people have said above, you will need a dedicated server! All the bandwidth you would use on normal hosting (if that was only possible) would be eaten up within a matter of hours if you had enough users.looks like a dedicated server + scripting + flash = mini mmorpg.