xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CroSpartacus

Question On Laptops

I'm interested in getting a laptop.But I don't know much about them.Is a laptop as fast as a normal computer or is it a bit slower?I want to use the laptop for gaming, and for a fast internet connection. I have cable internet so do I just connect the cable to the laptop for internet access?And can anyone recommend any good laptops online?thanks again

Laptops can be just as fast as desktop PCs, as they can use the same processors, although often they use low power versions or low heat versions specifically designed for laptops. They also have the same RAM capabilities in most cases. As for the Internet, that entirely depends on whether you have other PCs. If you are just connecting your laptop to the Net then most have a telephone jack to connect with, and most also have a 10/100 LAN port too for either connecting to a router or modem depending on the connection. More and more frequently you alos see WiFi built in to connect wirelessly to a router, so your laptop can be truly portable.

I recently purchased an Acer 1644 laptop, and I can thoroughly recommend it. It has good build quality and I have had no problems. Acer also do a more gaming orientated line of laptops if gaming is going to be your main priority. You can read my full review here.

Since you are from croatia you could buy BUG. Computers magazine, only 35kn and you get dvd with new programs. probaj nabaviti broj u kojem je tema prijenosnici do 8000 kuna.so much from me

Yes laptops can be as fast as PCs but you are going to have to spend a bit of money if you want to use it for gaming. I wouldn't reccomend getting one with an integrated graphics card because then you can't get a new graphics card to upgrade unless you buy another motherboard with it. Laptops can connect to the internet using the cable or using a wireless card. You are going to need a laptop also with a good amount of RAM. My laptop only had 256 MB of RAM and it was slow as can be with a few processes going so you will have to add some more it is still rather slow with only 512. Go for the Pentium 4 processer and that would help to. I would recommend a Dell computer but they have lots of extra processes and what not that make your computer run slower so maybe go for a HP or Gateway.

If it is for gaming there are alot of gaming orientated laptops out there,

the dell xps line http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Then the acer gaming laptops (They are not labeled as gaming computers but any of the higher end ones are suitable for it)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Alien ware make gaming laptops with cool cases aswell

http://www.alienware.com/main.aspx

And i also found this article on cnet about gaming laptops

https://www.cnet.com/html/404.html

But generaly a gaming laptop will be expensive, you can have them kitted out with the same specs as a gaming desktop but it willl cost you alot more.

It depands on the laptop and how advanced it is,that will determin if it's faster or slower than your desktop.Laptops are great for travel especially if you always on the internet.You can use cable,inferred and bluetooth,some of the more advanced laptops come with bluetooth others you got to buy it separtely.The thing about laptops you can't do much with it,not too many upgrades can be made. :)

Edited by Chatz (see edit history)

My laptop has made a bunch of upgrades but....... If you want a laptop that is good for that kind of stuff, try to stay away from Intel Celeron chips. The celeron chip is much cheaper than most chips but it's mass produced so it has more problems than most chips and such. Try for an AMD Sempron chip as it's pretty fast and is a little less expensive than most.

Some laptops can be blazing fast where as other arent. It depends on what type of applications you are planning to use your laptop on.

GAMING Laptops

-For gaming I suggest a nice high end laptop or a mid-range laptop. Some are as folows:

DELL Laptops:

XPS

Entertainment package

can be found here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Vodoo Laptops:

Envy MU:734

Envy MA:538

can be found here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Note: Vodoo laptops are very expensive, but are for extreme high end game performance.

Last but not least,

Alienware Laptops:

Aurora m9700 (first sli notebook)

Aurora mALX

etc etc,

Found @: http://www.alienware.com/main.aspx

You should be look at the dell XPS or even the home entertainment solutions. They are cheap, reliable and good performing. Anyways, I hope this helps you. =D

My machine, an advent 7096, only cost me ?500 and i know its not top end nor is it a 'gaming'machine but it has 1gb of RAM and a mobile AMD Smepron processor so it is darn good for playing games, ive also got a widescreen which i would suggest for games because its just bigger :)! I would say at the very least 1GB of RAM, i had 512MB before and it was useless, i play unreal torunament 2004 and i couldnt play many of the maps because they were big and i had to play in low detail with poor sound quality and no special effects but now i can play in high quality mode of everything, i also think its down to the CPU as an AMD is better for gamingin my opinion whereas an intel is better for office work and such. And i agree with already said try to avoid bult in graphics and if possible a graphics card with its own RAM as that way it wont need to steal RAM from the main RAM chips although if you have plenty of RAM about 1.5-2GB you would easily be able to use a shared graphics card. Definately look for an AMD proccessor though for gaming! And if you do get a laptop try to make sure it has good ventilation as a lot of gaming will heat it up quite alot, i normally let mine rest if im taking a break ill put it into standby even for a few minutes to let it cool down.Good luck hunting and let us know if you do get one!

I ever make comparison between laptop and Pc Desktop with same specs of harddisk, processor and ram, and the result is desktop is much much faster. in the other hand if you want to use laptop for gaming its OK, but its much more expensive than desktop. my laptop ussualy used for games. the specs is centrino 1.7 ghz, ram 256, vga 128 mb, this enough so far. its cost for $888 in indonesia (already completed with MMc reader, DVD Combo, and web cam, XGA widescreen 15"monitor) but I have planning to add ram tobe 512 mb. its much faster absolutely :)

I find a laptop is slightly slower than a desktop, for me, I play most games on my desktop and some occasional games on laptop when I am bored. If you want to play high end games on your laptop it is definitely going to cost you a lot, since you have to do a lot of upgrading with regards to your memory and graphics card. Another tip would be to not buy a laptop with an intel extreme graphics card, or any integrated graphics card for that matter. It is always better to get an external one, so that you can upgrade when it is necessary. I got a Sony Vaio laptop a year ago. 1.73 gHz, 1 gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 128 MB and on top of that there is a DVD+/-RW Drive, it is working great for me, I am playing all my games on there, a pity that it cost me so much S$2,700. But I am certainly not regretting it. With regard to internet connection, most of all the laptops in today's market if not all should have an integrated wireless network adapter for you to connect to a wireless network, so it should not be an issue.

what it really comes down to is a laptop and a pc with the same specs will perform very similar, however it will cost a great deal more for the components of the laptop, mainly because the components need to be made much smaller and use less power so you don't drain your battery as quickly. A lot of people choose laptops when they don't really need to. If you don't plan to travel with the computer, or take it from home to work or something similar you would probably be better off with a desktop machine.