xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rowita

Gmail - Pop3 ... Official

Doesn't seem like it's for everyone. I looked into my gmail account and it is not offered... I don't really need or want POP access (1 Gig email on my own hard drive?!?? crazy). but, this gets me thinking to what other features I may be missing... I would have thought all gmail users would get the same features.

Hey Guys,I still haven't got POP support as yet. Guess I'll be down below the list.But anyway, why does anyone require POP access ? I get ab8 10 mails a day and only ab8 one or two are worth keeping and those I keep, deleting the rest. This whole proces takes me ab8 20 mins. So why would anyone require POP ???By the way, anyone's been able to fill up 1 GB of GMail ?? I'm trying hard.

the "New Features" just re-appeared today in my gmail account. :( and the POPoption setting is now available as reported. will test it later when i get the timeto configure my email client app. POP would come in handy for my gmail accountwhich handles my profesional emails... it never hurts to have a backup offline justin case emergencies arise. :(alperuzi is correct, it's being introduced slowly. :( others may have to wait a bitlonger, but not too long i guess. :(

Ya. I noticed mine a few days ago too. Under new features... it was gone for a while but it came back and pop3 was in it.. Seriously though, i dont even need or want it. i used to like pop3 so I could use an emial client but, now I am used to gmail interface and it is pretty fast... so, i don't think i will use it.

I use to think pop3 is cool. But I don't anymore because it saves the files on your computer. I don' tneed the extra junk. And somehow when I delete the message their still on the computer when I search the comp files manually. Now adays I only use webmail. No need to waste space over stuff like that. I guess the onyl reason its good is that your not worried it can get deleted once its on your comp.

Hey Guys,

I've got the POP3 support under New Features today. I've now stopped using all other third party applictions like GPOP and Pop Goes the GMail.

I've configured my mail client The Bat and am downloading my mails happily evr since. I have even scheduled it under periodic common tasks.

From the mail address tracer, many people have found out the SMTP of google and have been using it unauthorized ; but now we all are authorized to do so !!.

Bye,

Bigyan

PS : I know how to find out the SMTP servr of any give mail id. Can anyone guide me on how to get the IMAP or POP3 server ??

I find that the pop3 access is useful as it lets me run gmail through thunderbird, which I use as my main email client for other accounts. Because I already have the program set up and have to use anyway, it makes sense to use it for gmail as well, and means that i only have to keep one central address book up to date. It would be nice if there was some way to use the conversation and label features on thunderbird without having to set them up separately. These can currently be achieved through thunderbird, but in a slightly different way which means they may not always match.

I've been using Mozilla Firebird with gmail for about two weeks, and I love it. I really enjoy gmail, although I have no intention of leaving a gig of info in there. It's useful to send mp3's when need-be, but besides that, I dont really see any usage for the one gig allowance. I just like the feeling of having so much room, lol. I've always wondered what would happen if everyone on the web signed up for a gmail account, how on earth would they get enough space on their servers? I guess thats why their mail serive is by invite only right now ;)

Been using Pop with Thunderbird aswell...works great. I'm just glad they finally have pop support...I have having to open a browser to view mail....and waiting for a new page to load every time I read an email. I have 1.5mbs too lol ;) .

Doesn't seem like it's for everyone.  I looked into my gmail account and it is not offered... I don't really need or want POP access (1 Gig email on my own hard drive?!?? crazy).  but, this gets me thinking to what other features I may be missing... I would have thought all gmail users would get the same features.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you check the Forwarding and POP tab in settings?