xisto Community
Style

Watercooling Worth the buy?

Watercooling maybe worth it, depends on what your using it for. From what I have read its not very effective if your planning on overclocking. If you do watercool I highly recommend the Zalman. Here is a link to the two products I have read about that seem to work very well.Zalman Reserator 1 Fanless Water Cooling System its 192.99 at Newegg.Zipzoomfly is out of stock at the moment.

If you do get a water cooling system, be very careful when assembling it. A friend of mine got one and it leaked. Yeah, not a good combination. A few crackles were heard before a loud rumble started, soon enough black smoke was billowing out of the CD tray, which was open at the time. I dived and pulled the plug just after the computer closed itself down.Luckily, only the disk drive and a RAM slot were damaged. But none-the-less, be careful.

it definatly keeps the system cool but its really not worth it...id sujest getting a decent sized case and fill it with fans having the front push air in and the back blowing it out.casue trust me if it leaks theres alot more to replace then a power suppy and a few fans...you can also get dampening to make the fans less irratable and audioble too its called acustic dampening i belive... mostly its just foam pads inside the case that makes it so sound dosnt get out as much...

Edited by tdktank59 (see edit history)

One other negitive thing from what I read (I actually almost water cooled my PC myself) is that you need distilled water to properly watercool a PC. Also, I read an article where Tom's Hardware (click the site name for the link) tried to watercool a PC. They said they almost fried the brand-new parts and decided to do something unpresidented, use cooking oil to cool a PC. :)

It work pretty well and I actually am going to do it myself in about a year (thats when I think i'll have the money to upgrade my PC or buy a new one).

Basically its probably not worth the risk of frying your parts just to use water instead of air to cool your PC.

i do that the water cooling is quite effective at keeping the chip nice and cool and it is also alot quiter than the conventinal cooling methods with fans. but as far as i am concerned thoses are the only benifits that you get from a water cooling system. there are far more disadvantages to these systems than conventional fan systems. What if it leaks there goes your whole pc if you lucky you will be leaf with a few working compnents. And it is alot more expensive than the normal cooling systems and if you don't install it in the correct way it will not be as effective as a normal cooling system either. And i not sure but i think you need to maintain well or it will get damage if it is not looked after properly. It also takes up alot of space in the case once installed. If you get a few more fans and install them in the correct way it will be much cheaper and will proberly work better and be better for your pc as a whole. As there will be cool air flowing over all the components of the pc where as the water cooling will only cool the one thing it is meant to cool. If you put front and back and take all your cables and put them into a cover to minimise their size, (all of this helps to streamline the flow of the air from the front to back of the case) you will find that it will be a very effective cooling solution. I have seen a case that had 5 or 6 extra fans and this manage to keeps it's chip that was overclocked from 1000hertz to about 1.5gh or maybe even 1.7gh at under 50 degrees celcius that was really impressive so imagine how one or two extra fans with a normal speed chip keep work

I have no clue if watercooling is worth it but my teo cents here would be yeah probably. It looks to be a really neat feature to add if your into modding. Performance , ive read that it really does help out on the cooling of your pc and allowing your pc to run better. So if you have the cash to spend why not try it.. if you dont like it you can always resell it on ebay...

In my experience unless you have a freon-like system where there is a place in the watercooling system where the water is actually chilled to some degree all you end up doing is throwing room-temperature water around your computer. Yes it may help some but still the whole point watercooling is make things cold not room temperature you know.So why not get a couple of 120MM fans and do better.

I suggest you better look for alternative methods for cooling down your system. Why would you want to trust water cooling when there are better methods available... MAybe if you have seen someone really satisfied with it give it a second thought ..

I know a friend using this. He was very glad. And he was feeling himself as came from another planet.And thinks that this is a very high technology. I dont think so. This is very simple and not worth that $ s

Watercooling system? It's hardly worth it. I know a few people who have switched over to this cooling system and they say that it actually doesn't help that much. Not to mention the fact it is much louder to use than a fan. It isn't worth the money to buy something that is noisier, and works only slightly better than a fan. My suggestion is to install another fan if possible

An open watercooling system makes use of evaporative cooling, lowering the temperature of the remaining (unevaporated) water. A component such as a bong cooler replaces the radiator of a closed watercooling system. The obvious downside of this method is the need to continually replace the water lost due to evaporation.

hmmm watercooling is ok, but unless you are an uber geek just stay away from it, there are plenty of cooling solutions less risky for the general pc user, my best advice is if you need to ask if you should use non standard cooling systems then you should not.

whther or not it is worth it depends on the situation, i honeestly wouldnt go so far as to install a water cooling system... a big fat fan/s would do me just fine, which is exactly wat i did. i bought a giant heatsink and cpu fan.... my old one kept my cpu running at high teemperatures but now its absolutely fine. water cooling is rather extreme, loook for alternatives before you jump the gun ;o