xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nations

New Hd Upverter For The Ps2 Its called the Xploder HDTV Player

A new device called the Xploder HDTV Player has been announced. This product promises to

pump out HD-resolution pictures from your old PS2 for a fraction of the price.
Dubbed the HDTV Game Player, the gadget coverts the PS2's output into 720p or 1080i. The Game Player hooks up to your HD TV using an RGB component-video cable. Xploder said the device will provide "crystal clear picture quality... for all PS2 games". It'll also improve the image quality of games played on regular-resolution TVs, the company claimed.

Xploder will offer both PAL and NTSC versions of the HDTV Game Player. It will also output via a regular VGA cable to a computer monitor. PS2 users select the resolution they want on the console - the choices are saved to memory card.

Personally, I don't believe something like this would work very well. If it does then that would be pretty sweet but, it sounds like something that cannot work (taking a video that has 480 lines of video (just a guess) and making it have 1080 lines, all while improving and not stretching or distorting the picture.)

No price has been set yet, but you can check out the companies site by going here.

Source

That sounds really cool. I might have to try it out when it comes out because I don't plan on buying a new system so hopefully this will renew my Playstation 2 experience. If not oh well I just hope it doesn't cost that much. I think it'd be nice to try it first though I might look for a demo of a before and after to see if it's even worth it.

Yeah, I have been thinking of getting a PS2 (mainly for God of War) and if this product really works I will be more then happy to get a PS2 with this (assuming its not too expensive, they have yet to set a price for it!).However, seeing this come out so late in the PS2's life cycle makes me wonder why Sony didn't try to have something like this earlier due to the XBox having this ability (HDTV-compatibilty) built-in from the get go.

I dont get this, how can this possibly take a load of images and make them into hd format. The CD's dont have any HD data on them, if it could do this it must lag a bit becauise of all the thinking it has to do for every lil dot, but here is an example:I make a game, it is 550 lines, and thats all the data on the disc, then a box comes along and makes it 1080 lines,how does it know where to put all the colours

I dont like this type of upconvertor. They artificially add line to the graphics to make it HD and the effect is not native. I think you can do that with DVDs on your computer with software like ffdshow too. But the effect of it is actually not good and I wonder why they want to do it with PS2 games. I know there are some built in up converters with DVD players and unless you are very keen on HD, I don't think it is a good idea to spend extra money on this.