xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Panzer

New Zealand Coin Change Commotion

Most of you probably dont know but New Zealand have changed all of their 'silver' coins. We used to have5c, 10c, 20c, 50c (Silvers) $1, $2 (golds) and of course notes...There is now no 5 cent coin in New Zealand and all the others have been made smaller and the 10c has been changed to a coppery bronze colour.Now, our standard postage stamp to anywhere in New Zealand is 45c, with the 5c coin gone, its impossible. You now need to pay 50c for a stamp BUT you can get 2 stamps for 90c, thats confusing some people.

lol That is really interesting. So basically you have to buy two stamps to get your money's worth. I heard once that they would get rid of the penny here in the United States and then prices would have to be rounded to the nearest 5 hundredth or tenth. I don't know why though they would want to get rid of it. I mean the 1 cent I could see but it will take a while to get used to.

Yeh, at school today peeps were walking around offering new 50 cent coin for old 20 cent, coz our vending machines dont accept new coins yet, so I made 30 cents.... lame but more to the point.... I GOT A NEW COIN! theyr all so light, like play money

I am old enough to remember the 1/2p coin we used to have here. It was a tiny little waste of space. I do miss the ?1 note though, if you had ?20 in ?1 notes it look like you were rich, now we have to lug around the stupid ?1 coin. & why they introduced the ?2 coin i'll never know :)

Wow. That is really interesting and I had no idea. I was born in new zealand and lived there until I was 12. I am now living in Australia but have alot of family over there and still had no idea that the current had changed. very weird. I have been back over a few times but yeah. very interesting news. thanks for letting me know :)

Here in Mexico they wanted to change the actual coins into silver coins, but then they realized it would hurt economy more than help it and that it would have been something stupid. There are still debates though, wether it would be a good idea or not. Personally I dont care, it would probably make silver less valuable since it would be everywhere, so silver jewelry would probably loose some of its value.

i remember when we swapped the one and two dollar notes for coins here in australia, that was interesting (i was very young at the time so 1 dollar was a huge amount to me) then we decided to get rid of our one and two cent coins, which wasn't that bad an idea as they aren't worth anything. I don't even stop to pick up a five cent coin off the ground these days

I heard once that they would get rid of the penny here in the United States and then prices would have to be rounded to the nearest 5 hundredth or tenth. I don't know why though they would want to get rid of it. I mean the 1 cent I could see but it will take a while to get used to.

I still hear that a lot, since I work in retail, and I'm all for it. Pennies are a pain in the butt.. no one around here keeps them when I give them back as change, they just toss them in our penny jar XD