xisto Community
arcticsnpr

What You Think Of My Localhost Site?

well, after overwriting my original localhost website, i decided to build a new one. I began this two nights ago, and liked the end result, check it out:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
if any of you want this on your computer, i would be more then happy to give this to you. All you need is PHP5 and MySql installed and running.
comment!

Well it looks ok. I sort of wonder why there is a big empty space at the top of the page. I mean you could put a banner or something of some sort. Of course only the Home link takes you somewhere so I can't really see anything else. The design is sort of really plain I would spice it up some towards the top but it really isn't supposed to be much anyway.

not bad, I like the site, but the sides are too... "un-cluttered." I think you need borders or something on the sides of the text... I like the colors, but they may appear dark in some monitors... nice work, keep it up!

Well looking at the site now it looks much better. I really like the banner you did a great job on it. Everything sort of falls into place because the bars at the bottom looked senseless without the header. The water droplets are awesome. What program did you make that in or did you make it?

I used a program called Blender
cool open source 3D program. I'm a modeler too

cangor: yes, but keep in mind this is a localhost, not a full website. If it was, i wouldn't leave it so open, but i have nothing else to display.

lemonwonder: this is not a site is only a display.

well it looks cool! the header should be less than 120 or 150px. I dont get the idea of making this,i access my localhost folder from my desktop,the simple way is to make a shortcut of it on desktop.Also its not very hard to type localhost in internet explorer to access our work.Anyways,thanks for sharing. Good work in two nights.

I aggree it seems a little dark, I can see it fine but I know I built a site with similar colour layouts and I've come accross a few monitors that don't display it properly. Secondly It loads far too slow for people on dial-up The main image is 119 kb which I know doesn't seem like a lot, but it took about 45 seconds to load, 45 seconds in which I kept thinking Is there something wrong with me? or him? or the server? My browser says it's done, should I refresh?

Now It appears to me that you did it as a CSS background, fine, but also that the image is 1200px wide, I'd assume that you did this to make it fit on more screen resolutions, however as was said add some borders around the text, perhapse if you did something like....

Posted Image

As you can see I made that whole image less then 100kb, so compression is definatly required.

And one more thing, the greenish boxes beneth the "Localhost" don't appear anywhere else in the dessign. I personaly have nothing against them, but you've set them as a part of your dessign and then aren't using them elsewhere. I see you have a favicon, perhapse there, or as bullets for the list of websites.

Other then that, I like it a lot, the water drops are very nice. I only which I could build something that nice in blender (I've tried). It is a very plain design, now in some refrences that would be an insult, but not here, you've accomplished a fair bit, and to still keep it plain, very good. Not to mention it cuts down on our bandwidth costs, as well as my lode time. Win, win.

well, after overwriting my original localhost website, i decided to build a new one. I began this two nights ago, and liked the end result, check it out:

if any of you want this on your computer, i would be more then happy to give this to you. All you need is PHP5 and MySql installed and running.

comment!

your web site is pritty cool i like it i have one qestion was it hard to make and ?

comment!

your web site is pritty cool i like it i have one qestion was it hard to make and ?

It looks good but the banner at the top does not span the width of the screen which is different than the bottom banner since it does. Also, the space on the left looks plain since the text is indented i think there should be a navigation table there so that you can traverse the site easier etc plus it will fill the empty space.

moldboy - thank you for the comment. but keep in mind, this is only a localhost site, for me. so i don't need to worry about load time, because it's reading it right off my hard drive. and your right, the blocks don't show anywhere else, thanks.