xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lyon2

2 Students Are Accused Of Altering Grades In Computer The new generation of students coming up fast

Now this is real cracking, imagine the future now with all things inserted to a computer, i don't think the next generation of students will study too much since they can "insert" the marks or notes they want.

This news remind me of the movie "war games", don't it remind you too!?!?

Anyway, see the article and say what you feel about this, especially if you have kids and also if you still study.

ps: don't go ask those 2 students to explain you how they did it!!!

Source:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is the maor drawback of making everything computerised.with the availability of lot of tutorials and help online about hacking the younger generation are tempted to try them for their benefit or to showcase their talents without knowing what they are doing could be a serious crime.This is just one of the incidents among the other unexposed millions of such incidents. now the parents and the society should take a decision about this evolving factor and something must be done to prevent this.I hope it would be better if the children are thought What is Digital Crime and what are their punishments when they are taught about internet, this this might be prevented in the future.

only have time to skim, but interesting....though really, I myself realize it isn't hard to hack school systems and other networks of the sort...If I wanted to, I could change my high school grades... people just need to realize that doing that sort of thing is morally wrong. e.g. misrepresentation

This has happened thousands times in the past and will continue to happen, the human life is very limited and if you have to miss one year of it because your grades arent very good I would think people with the knowledge how to do things like this would do it. We shouldn't be justifying these people, usually there are multiple sides to a story...

Yes Florisjuh, perhaps the story isn't entirely true, but then, it is likely to be true, at least most of it.

We shouldn't be justifying these people, usually there are multiple sides to a story...

Hmm...I never thought about it like this when I was reading it, maybe they missed lots of school due to being ill? Maybe they didn't do aswell on their tests, but they know they can do well?

Ah well, it's still a funny story :)

Wow that is very shocking. I don't think that we should depend on computers with everything.I mean if everything goes threw computer if someone could hack it they could hack are lives. Which has sort of happened before.

this may sound bad but i think its quite funny pmpl a much better use of hacking skills. I say this cos in the past i have had very popular sites hacked, deleted, and scripts distributed by jealous and destructive hackers.If they work with computers and are good at it anyway it will help them get a better position i guess lol

I think it is rather funny how they always seem to do this no matter how advanced and more secure the more kids want to be able to hack it. They will spend all this time thinking of ways to avoid getting bad grades when in that same amount of time they could have been studying and recieve good grades the right way. I mean it really doesn't pay at all especially when you are caught or you have to get a job requiring better knowledge. I mean you think your own teacher won't notice though that you went from an F to a B? They would have to notice and if they don't shame on them.

lol thats sad... ive always dreamed of doing something like that but i 1. dont want to get into trouble...2. dont know how to lol...anyways they were idiots and to get caught was even stupider...

Two people I know (no names), worked for the school. And "one of them" got a bad grade on there report card. So "that person" and the "other person" altered the grade on the report card. But now our school has "pOGb" which is like online grading. So even if the report card was altered all the parent has to do is check the online grades.Btw, you need to be registered to view that article. Any chance you can quote it into your post so we can read it, please?

I agree with Plenoptic, one must study to get good grades at school, course, profession, university, et cetera.

But then, imagine if a teacher gave you bad grades just because it does not like you very much, or imagine the teacher gave you bad grades and you and your entire school colleagues think you deserve a good grade, or at least a positive grade, would you use your computer skills to raise your grade?

What do you do in this cases, would you at least consider cracking techniques fair to use?

------------------

KuBi, you don't need to be registered to view that article, but if you say you can't read it, here you go:

2 Students Are Accused of Altering Grades in Computer Hacking CaseBy Stephen Clark, Times Staff Writer
July 26, 2006

Two Cal State Northridge students have been accused of hacking into a professor's computer, giving grades to nearly 300 students and sending pizza, magazine subscriptions and CDs to the professor's home.

Lena Chen, 20, of Torrance and Jennifer Ngan, 19, of Alhambra are to be arraigned Aug. 21 on misdemeanor charges of accessing computers illegally and other counts. If convicted, they face up to a year in prison.

ADVERTISEMENT
According to Cal State police, Chen confessed to getting access to the professor's account by answering a routine security question and changing the password.

"They felt the professor was unfair, and it was on behalf of all the students," said Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the city attorney's office, which filed the charges. "They were trying to be college pranksters."

Mateljan said Chen also admitted assigning grades to nearly 300 students and giving Ngan, who was earning a D-plus, an A in the professor's political institutions course. The school would not release the professor's name.

Investigators said the professor's campus e-mail was being forwarded to an account created by Chen and Ngan, who were sharing a Northridge apartment.

Ken Swisher, a campus spokesman, said he knew of no previous incidents like this one. Political science professor Jane Bayes, who has worked at the school since 1968, said she remembered only one student hacking into a computer to change grades in the 1970s.

Nationwide this year, more than 800,000 people at colleges and universities have had sensitive information exposed in more than 30 security failures.

Chen and Ngan allegedly used the professor's personal information found on the university system to order pizza, more than 20 magazine subscriptions including for Time, Newsweek and Ebony and a shipment of blank CDs for delivery to the professor's home.

The professor received bills for the orders but was not charged.

"Identity theft and computer tampering are serious matters," Mateljan said. "We want to send a clear message that this type of behavior is unacceptable."

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

That's why our school uses crappy computers to insert the grades, so that people don't know how to use them... wait I don't think that's the reason... lol

If your teacher gave you a bad grade, and you didnt deserve it, you can take it to your dean or whateva (the test... take it to dean) and then ask for it to be re-marked by another teacher, request that your teacher knows nothing of it until you have been graded, and if the case is that your teacher falsely marked you.... alot .... then they may be fired!