xisto Community
Chatz

Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone cell/mobile phone as a modem

how to connet your laptop for freeConnect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

Step 1:Take your gprs enabled cell phone and connect it to your computer or laptop using either buletooth,infered or a usb cable.Step 2:Create a dial up connection.Go into yor control panel,then into internet options.Then go to connections and add.Create a dial up connection and when it asks for a phone number type in *99#Step 3:On your new dialup connection add the same proxy address you have on your gprs in your cell phone.Step 4:Now on your cpanel there should be something called modem options (If your 's doesn't have you'll have to search your computer for an option that allows you to change the acess point name or also known as the APN) here you must change the APN to whatever your APN is on yor gprs in your phone.Step 5:Go to start menu and connect,then connect to your dial up (make sure your cell phone is connected to your computer or laptop)Step 6:Start your browser (internet exploxer,opera etc) and start surfing the net.Note that every cell phone has it's own speed for example 3g phones can reach up to speed's of 48 kb/s.I've tried to make this tutorial as simple and as easy to follow as possible.Hope It help's out.

-reply by ADENIYI LUKY

China Phone Bluetooth Modem Internet Connection setup Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone

Hello,

I use a China phone (MTK modem family)

but havent been able to browse on the PC

using the bluetooth modem.

I easily establish and browse with other Phones via cable, infrared & bluetooth connection

but my China phone has since been a headache.

Please I need help on this problem.

Thanks

before buying anymobile check that whether the mobile has an inbulit modem to do this ,once i was into this problem, the mobile had a gprs/wap but it didnt have a inbuilt modem so i could not use that mobile as a modem and connect internet to my pc.

Hi, i just wanted to know if it was possible to connect to the internet on my cellphone (nokia 5800).
via my fixed home internet connection.

ie. i want to be able to surf on my cellphone, without adding to cellphone costs, but rather using the internet connection on my pc.

It sounds like i should be able to do it.

Or if you have a blackberry you can do it the easy way. Download Blackberry desktop manager, Select connect to the internet, Choose the network you are on for your blackberry (Orange UK, AT&T). Plugin your blackberry via USB and select connect on the Blackberry desktop manager and within a few seconds you have fast internet connection using your blackberry :) easy :D

in my laptop in modem option asking for dialing rules in that there is to access an outside line for local calls, dial...i didn't undestand what should i enter in this

Posted Image

worked on this all day couldn't get the wireless part to work seeing if anyone has any tips it shows up on iphone and the laptop can see it but cant connect i wanna get the wii to connect

The first post is for 2006 so in that time there was not many softwares to help you connect to internet using your mobile phone, now there are many softwares for doing that, with buying most of the phones in these days you will get a computer software for doing that, these softwares create a connection automatically for connecting to internet using gprs/edge/3g of your phone so you don't need to worry about the procedure of creating a dialup connection. i think in these days buying a wireless internet service is so much cheaper than connecting to internet using your mobile phone, now you can easily get a wimax service and use it all over if your town just like the internet of your mobile phone and of course it will be cheaper and more reliable connection with less disconnection and less packet lost.By the way if you want to use internet of your simcard as your main internet connection then i suggest you to buy a GPRS/3G modem for your PC, by doing this you will get many advantages : 1. you don't need to worry about your cell phone battery, and of course if you use your phone to connect to internet you need to keep it in charge and this will kill your battery life. 2. most of the times you get better speed with gprs modems, they are built for doing only one thing and in most of the cases they will do it just nice. 3. you will get less connection drop and packet lost by these modems. so get one of these modems and a simcard for that and enjoy your mobile internet. now in most countries you can use 3g connection or at least you will be able to use EDGE which is GPRS but with more speed and you even can get up to 35KB/s speed of download using that technology.

Yeah, a valid point, I suppose. My caaioncnl argument against is "10,000 years". Humankind has managed to deal without them for 10,000 years, so my default position is that we don't really need them that much. That goes for a lot of things, not just cell phones, of course. I certainly don't have any qualms about carrying one where there's a need, but if there's not

It depends on the type of cell phone, for example: most Motorola cellphones can be use as modem, only buyng the data tranfer cable and with the Motorola tools, wich i can give you Posted Image .[/quote

Hi there. I have a Motorola e815 cell phone. Is that a GPRS phone or not? i do not have a usb data disc kit. Can you give me one? Thank you very much.

Yeah, a valid point, I suppose. My caaioncnl argument against is "10,000 years". Humankind has managed to deal without them for 10,000 years, so my default position is that we don't really need them that much. That goes for a lot of things, not just cell phones, of course. I certainly don't have any qualms about carrying one where there's a need, but if there's not

So, the question is "how can I do this?" and your answer is "you don't need it". I think that this is not a technical answer, this is a philosophical act of faith.

I understand the views of others when they say that they don't need them, but it depends and you fail to point out how revolutionary cellphones have improved our way of living as well as the bad habits that come with it too.

Depending on how important your job is and what is required, especially if you're suppose to maintain something that needs to be operating. Then being contactable 24/7 may be necessary. Doctors seem to be that occupation that would require it, you expect them to have pagers but even mobiles would be better because they can at least reply back.

I think there's more benefits to carrying a mobile than doing without one. You just never know when you may need to use it in an emergency. Mobiles have saved peoples lives and I rather know that even if I never had to use it or be contacted by it, at least I got it. It's just like insurance, it's an in case of something happens more than a need to have it. Imagine being in an accident and no one could get you any help because they couldn't ring the services you required, because they didn't have a mobile. They could try and get help in other ways, but every second counts in life critical situations and the more time it takes them to do what you need, the slimmer your chances get.

Cheers,

MC

I understand the views of others when they say that they don't need them, but it depends and you fail to point out how revolutionary cellphones have improved our way of living as well as the bad habits that come with it too.

OK, however the topic subject is "how can I connect my PC to the Internet by means of a cellphone?"

Some devices allow this and it's easy, some other devices allow this but your phone operator does not allow you to do this, so it's not possible.

I know that some Chinese cell phones don't have the local limitations, so if you buy such a cell phone you can use it as an access point, and provide wifi connection for your friend's PC's, which is very useful if you want to share a text or some pictures. However, this is not always easy to be performed, obviously some people couldn't achieve this and ask the question. So, if possible, could somebody answer the question ? How can we connect a PC to the Internet if an Internet connection is available on a cellphone?

To answer that question, if your cellphone is capable of being a hotspot, you can enable that and connect you wi-fi device to it. Mobile data must be enabled.

There are also mobiles that can act as a modem but require the modem driver for it, usually via plugging your usb connected phone into your computer. Not all phones have this capability, so check with the manufacture if your device is capable. Again mobile data has to be enabled.

It could be possible to share a internet wifi connected device as an hotspot as well, but would need to test it out.

In the age before usb, we had card modems that you could buy the connector to your cellphone. It would then make it possible for the modem to use your cellphone to dial through your cellphone to your dialup provider.

Cheers,

MC