xisto Community
Chatz

Connect To Internet Using Your Cell Phone cell/mobile phone as a modem

Ever wanted to surf the net but didn't have a modem on your computer? You don't realy need a modem to be able to surf the net,you can simply use your cell phone as a modem. HOW? This short tutorial will teach how to set your phone as a modem connected to your computer/laptop.Frist is frist.You need a cell phone.2.It has to have gprs and it must be modem enabled3.You need a means of connection from your cell phone to your computer or laptop (inferred,bluetooth or usb cable)4.You need a dialup connection5.You need to know and change your proxey settingsStep 1:Take your gprs enabled cell phone and connect it to your computer or laptop using either buletooth,infered or a usb cable.Step 2:Create a dial up connection.Go into yor control panel,then into internet options.Then go to connections and add.Create a dial up connection and when it asks for a phone number type in *99#Step 3:On your new dialup connection add the same proxy address you have on your gprs in your cell phone.Step 4:Now on your cpanel there should be something called modem options (If your 's doesn't have you'll have to search your computer for an option that allows you to change the acess point name or also known as the APN) here you must change the APN to whatever your APN is on yor gprs in your phone.Step 5:Go to start menu and connect,then connect to your dial up (make sure your cell phone is connected to your computer or laptop)Step 6:Start your browser (internet exploxer,opera etc) and start surfing the net.Note that every cell phone has it's own speed for example 3g phones can reach up to speed's of 48 kb/s.I've tried to make this tutorial as simple and as easy to follow as possible.Hope It help's out.

Ok there are a few problems with that.Now I have been using my mobile phone as a modem for about 5 months now. I have become an expert basicaly on use of mobile phones as modems to browse the net. Ok first problem is that in order to run, most phones need the drivers installed. Now either bluetooth, infared or cable modems will be installed from the disc you get when u buy one. Now on the disk it should have the drivers on there, if not you will need to find another internet connection and download them.Ok next you CANNOT use Firefox, Bit torrent apps, IM apps, Opera, or any web based programs besides IE if you are connecting through a Proxy address. Also another downside of a proxy is your computer wont store the cookies from the phone so logging into sites may be difficult. NOw in order to get around this block and use web based applications u will need to dowload a program called "Your Freedom" (Just google it as I cant remember site ATM) then enter in YF your proxy settings and it will work, and then add the proxy setting of localhost:8080 for HTTP and localhost:1080 for Socks 5. This will let you use opera and Firefox.Ok and now I will give you some tips on how to make most of your phone as a modem.1. Use Firefox with the FasterFox extension set up on the max and your browsing speed will be much better. An alternative is to use Opera2. Use a download manager to speed up your downloads by 4 times and some times up to 8 times (say your av. DL speed was 1.0 Kb/s it will increase it to 4.0 Kb/s becuase it will download te file in 4 different places at once.) I reccomend using Get Right.3. Get premium version of Your Freedom as it will get rid of 2 hour time limit and max of 10 connections. And you cant get a crack for it or anything as it uses the info from the account you set up on their site. Well thats it. Now I use my phone as a modem as I dont have access to a normal internet connection so this is a good alternative and also becuase it's free for me :) Even though I get avergae of 1 Kb/s speed, 1.5 Kb/s max, it is still good as leaving it overnight will download about 100-150 MB.

It depends on the type of cell phone, for example: most Motorola cellphones can be use as modem, only buyng the data tranfer cable and with the Motorola tools, wich i can give you :) .

this is the way i basically connect to the internet.. 115kbps is pretty slow but its not bad for browsing.. the thing is its cheap (Rs 100 a week in bangalore india for unlimited usage) and i can use it wherever i want to.. but there are a few problems:1. i can accept any calls if data transfer is going on.2. connectivity is not always good.. some cell towers don't even support edge3. phone must be charged.. i use while charging in my room but i can't do that on the move

There are lots of 3G phone that are availabe. If you have one, There is a CD with it and it has the software that allow you to connect your computer to the internet by plugging your 3G phone to the USB port. I've heard this from a tech forum. I told this to my friend and he contacted his sim card provider, changed his sim card (still the same number) and it work 400+kbps. Haven't tried this because I dont have a 3G phone, Its so expensive. it costs $400-$600. I would like to try the gprs thing but my mother ost her nokia 8310 phone(GPRS enabled and can become a modem) and GPRS connection cost those days (about 2 years ago) is not cheap $1 / hr.

Edited by fr0z3n (see edit history)

Mobile internet access is something which is very fascinating but if you are asking me to use it for my desktop, I would reject it without much hesitation. Because here, even with a data plan, internet browsing with a mobile is bonkers and can really burn a large hole in my pocket. Why pay SGD 200-300 for varying access when I can get unlimited broadband access with my desktop for SGD 50? Mobile internet access can never compare itself to broadband access. Say I want to download an installer worth 700 mb, wouldn't it be crazy to use mobile internet acesss? When will it ever be done? That would be my main question

im using my 3g phone as modem (unlimited data) until i get broadband.Surfing the internet is quite fast and i can use bittorrent with quite fast download speed of 45kbps max.. only problem is just 9kbps upload and if you are using more than 2kbps of it your download speed goes down which means my share ratio isnt very good :wacko: ..as soon as i get my broadband i'll leave my pc on til i get at least 1.0 :blink:

Edited by krap (see edit history)

I will like to surf with my mobile phone but do you know what am from FYRO of Macedonia a small Country and the prise of one houer internet is epensiv so we have a bed economy ... it means that u need money to do that we don't have so we just use ADSL internet connection in our PC .. sorry if am bad in English :P

I will like to surf with my mobile phone but do you know what am from FYRO of Macedonia a small Country and the prise of one houer internet is epensiv so we have a bed economy ... it means that u need money to do that we don't have so we just use ADSL internet connection in our PC .. sorry if am bad in English :P

this is the way i basically connect to the internet.. 115kbps is pretty slow but its not bad for browsing.. the thing is its cheap (Rs 100 a week in bangalore india for unlimited usage) and i can use it wherever i want to.. but there are a few problems:1. i can accept any calls if data transfer is going on.
2. connectivity is not always good.. some cell towers don't even support edge
3. phone must be charged.. i use while charging in my room but i can't do that on the move

115kbps is very very fast here :P and expencive . i think 100 kb gprs up/down bout dollar little less..but mobile provider when starts this service it was free a 2 months . hehe it was gold 2 months :D

I won't say that this is pretty good when you are using at your home as it is, nothing can beat broadband of wifi. But if you want net connectivity on your laptop when you are travelling or temporarily maybe because you might not have access to broadband for a couple of days due to some reason.

Well, I am using my 6630 GPRS-enabled phone right now as a modem, and I've been doing it since the past month as my Mom won't allow me to use broadband till the 21st of March as my board exams are nearing and she is not willing to take a chance and get me distracted.

The speed 115.2 kbps is still considered good enough in my city, here people aren't that tech savvy, and well, but I still miss my 512 kbps broadband. :P

The main problems that I have, can't really use it with the AC on, well I can but due to the weak network strenght the speed is very slow and surfing deviantART is a headache then. :D

The phone has to be charged as many people already said, when I am using the data cable, I can't use the charger, but when I connect my cell with Bluetooth, I can charge it.

It costs around 210 INR per month for me, which is like around 5 USD.

When it comes to downloading big files, well over a 100 MB, then I use Bluetooth instead of the data-cable, put the charger on and then keep the PC running for the whole night and the next morning, everything gets downloaded. I get like 10 kbps downloading speed without any download accelerators and around 16-20 kbps with FlashGet which I guess isn't that bad either.

3G phones supposedly have datarates upto 2Mbps . So they should be a much better option to normal GPRS connection. I have used GPRS based pphone but the connection was unstable and download speeds a maximum of 4 KB/s. It was a horrible experience but it did provide me internet when there was no other option . But it was costly too.

I'm trying to configure mine, but just when it's about to connect, I get the error message "The PPP link control protocol was terminated". I'm rather new to this stuff, could someone tell me what I doing wrong?Also, I'm not sure I have it configured right to begin with, because I can't find my APN to change it. I'm using Windows XP Professional, could someone with similar OS tell me where to find it?And, my phone's settings for GPRS doesn't actually say "Proxy". Could you tell me what's supposed to go where? Homepage: http:\\portal.digiceltt.comGateway IP: 172.20.6.12Port 1: 9201GPRS APN: wap.digiceltt.comThanks for all.