xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eDeals.ws

Combating A Wi-fi Pirate -------This is the fun way to do it

Most of us have been one at one time or another, maybe even on a regular basis. Its a fun thing to do (at times) and most of us laptop users have no other way to access the internet.

I am talking about being a Wi-Fi Pirate. This can also get you (the owner of the network, not the Pirate) in legal trouble if your network is used to spam others or distribute illegal material. It also gives you the headache of your bandwidth being sucked away by an 'invisible' computer.

Most of us know that enabling encryption, or requiring a password is an easy way to deter most pirates. But, instead why not have a little fun with their marbles by oh, redirecting all there traffic to a specific site or flipping every picture upside down, or making the page blurry?

Thanks to pete at ex-parrot you can split your network in half, with an encrypted section for yourself and an unsecured, tweaked section for the pirates.

Here is the guide on how to do the whole thing:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title modified.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

I can tell you right now, that there is now way I would ever allow people that I didn't know to access my network. And there are a few obvious reasons, but for the most part, it's because you have no idea what they are doing. Not just pirating software, but tryign to seduce young girls into sex, trying to steal money from a stolen credit card or identity, etc. You have no idea what skeletons people have in their closets. And some, have entire graveyards!

Why spend so much time playing games with pirates if you really need to secure your network. In my opinion the best way to deter pirates is to use MAC address filtering. Sure you can clone a MAC address, but there are more people who know how to crack Wi-fi encryption than there are who know how to obtain valid addresses and clone them.MAC filtering makes your network invisible to some clients and to others, well uses will spend forever trying figure out if it's signal strength or interference that's preventing them from establishing a connection. The best security is through psychology.

Edited by diJenerate (see edit history)