xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eDeals.ws

What Is Machinima? This stuff can be funny

Machinima - A process of taking computer generated images (CGI), usually a player in the game used as the "camera man", and blending it togeather with pre-recorded audio, thus making a (short) movie.These types of videos are all over the web and are usually no longer then 10 minutes.Some of the more famous machinima productions include:Red vs Blue - A hilarious project created by Rooster Teeth Productions, its story line is about the "Civil War" between the Red and Blue sides at Blood Gulch. (Please note: The production contains strong language).Potentior - This project is based with the video game "Rome - Total War". Its a forty-minute long reproduction of the Battle of Alesia.The Strangerhood - Also produced by Rooster Teeth Productions, is the story of eight neighborhood occupants who wake up having no idea who they are, where they are, or how they got there.

Yeah, I really enjoy watching Red vs Blue. Its quite a kicker although I can't watch it unless the kids are asleep. I even bought a shirt from Rooster Teeth with a quote from one of the episodes of Red vs Blue :PI'll have to check into The Strangerhood though, haven't seen it yet. :)

Yeah, this stuff can be pretty funny. You can check out the Red vs Blue series here.

You might want to go get a copy of Season 1, 2, and 3 at your local Gamestop or though the RvB store on their website. It might kind of confuse you to watch it from the end of Season 4. :)

If you want to check out the Strangerhood here is where you can do that. You can also find Episodes 1-6 for the Strangerhood (I believe its like 18 episodes) in the archive here.

The shows are in either DivX or Quicktime just to give you a heads up.

Machinima is also commonly used for music videos, as with this Half-Life 2 based music video (and a darn good one, at that). I purchased Half-Life 2 and it's expansion packs in order to attempt some of this Machinima work, but I'm a bit depressed to discover how limited it is and how difficult it is to work with (that, and XSI gets error when I try to install it on my computer, for some reason).

I never found The Strangerhood to be near as amusing as Red vs Blue, although P.A.N.I.C.S. comes close (although it's only 5 episodes long).

Other good Machinima examples can be found here.

Thanks Cerebral Stasis for the links to that HL2 video, its good stuff.I forgot about P.A.N.I.C.S. which I downloaded and enjoyed very much. I like the Strangerhood because I play the Sims 2 every once in a while. But, in my opinion, Red vs Blue is still the best machinima I have seen so far.

I have never seen such a funny machinima production as Red vs Blue, and even its existence was unknown to me. Those who play(ed) Halo are going to find these episodes very hilarious since many of them take place at familiar places for Halo gamers.Good stuff, recommended to all. And it should be broadcasted on tv in prime time :)

Good stuff, recommended to all. And it should be broadcasted on tv in prime time

While I don't think they would broadcast Red vs Blue on TV they do show Red vs Blue at some gaming conferences. If you keep an eye on the Red vs Blue website (rvb.roosterteeth.com) they announce, usually a few days in advance, if they are going to be hanging around any sort of conference such as E3 etc.